Advertisement:

Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Marriage event at GPU  (Read 3935 times)

Nannysam

Marriage event at GPU
« on: Oct. 07, 2010, 10:57 PM »

Assalam u alkium,

I hope ur alll in the best of health and imaan,Inshallah. The GPU is very soon inshallah and will be having a marriage event there, i was just wondering what everyones view on this were, do u think its worth visting? Or that it will be a waste of tym?  Do u think it may be halal way to find a partner?, I am asking these questions and not even sure if i can persuade my brother to go to the marriage event dept...Let me know please would be interesting to see ur guys opinion.

Kind regrds

Nannysam

jannah

Re: Marriage event at GPU
« Reply #1 on: Oct. 08, 2010, 06:07 PM »

Walaikum salam,

Curious what they do there? What type of program is it? Or is it just a booth or something?

cinders

« Reply #2 on: Oct. 09, 2010, 12:40 AM »

Salam, I don't know about a marriage event being held at GPU sounds really bizarre for me. It'd be weird taking your wali to the event, would kind of feel claustrophobic & too busy. How would you enquire etc? Can you have meaningful conversation with a potential spouse when there's so many people? Oh also, like above post said, how would it work in a booth? Photographs & CV etc (kinda like an ad)? Or kind of like speed dating?

Just seems bizarre & surreal for me. Maybe it's just me, my personal opinion. However, I'd be really interested to know if anyone else has knowledge of how the marriage event would work at GPU.

Anyway, gutted that I can't go to GPU this year, my siblings wedding clashes with the date. :(

Nannysam

« Reply #3 on: Oct. 10, 2010, 12:01 AM »

JazakAllah khair for your responses, i think my gut feelings were kinda put forward by you both. I haven't a clue how they are going to be organising it...and it's true inshallah there are going to be alot of ppl there so how will it be catered for, speed dating style doesn't sound attractive.However, on a lighter note, i do know of a sister who met her husband at the GPU event last year, but it wasn't through any type of marriage event...I think im more excited about the other features of the event than the marriage service.

jannah

« Reply #4 on: Oct. 12, 2010, 06:10 PM »

wsalam,

You should definitely go and also check out whatever they have matrimonialy. Hey if it works for you good right...you'll be married!!!  ;D Those huge Islamic conventions are really great for meeting people, like friends of friends, family friends etc. So many people have gotten married that way just by being introduced to new ppl there. From what I've read and heard (sorry not firsthand) of matrimonial events in the states... basically it's a big dinner. There's a speaker that talks about some topic. Girls and guys are there with maybe a friend or a family member. They sit at tables with 10 guys/10 girls. Or the whole room is together and everyone will go around and introduce themselves.

Sadly one of the articles I read mentioned that the "prettiest girl" got all the attention of the guys. They all took her phone no./email and the rest were not contacted. Which makes sense because these things are designed for first impressions/surface glances. The other thing I was told is that there's just such a huge diverse group of people, from 20-40, divorced, unmarried, guys who don't want hijabis etc. It's extremely hard to find someone even from the pool that's there!

Well things to think about, but I think you should go and check it out inshaAllah for yourself :)

Nannysam

« Reply #5 on: Oct. 12, 2010, 11:28 PM »

:-[Sis well, there is that way of looking at it. I must say, the method u describe is kinda scary, where does personality fall in the matchmaking agenda? Aren;t we suppose to find our partners mainly based on their ahlaaq (good qualities ) and righteousness. But i guess, there must be mutural attraction...Its just well hard trying to find someone who is righteous these days. Still unsure if i will have the courage to go, :-[ i'll let u know sis if i do, and more importantly if i find a bro to marry at the end of GPU loll...Which i very much doubt... 

Al-Qamar

« Reply #6 on: Oct. 13, 2010, 09:42 AM »

Salaam, are you on about this Muslim Marriage Event at the end of the month?... I'm debating whether to go or not

Nannysam

« Reply #7 on: Oct. 13, 2010, 11:25 PM »

Walakium Assalaam,
Yes, it's that event, im not sure either. The organisers are promoting really well though...I still need to weigh the pro's and con's of goin.

Al-Qamar

« Reply #8 on: Oct. 14, 2010, 02:21 PM »

Hmm, I'm toying with the idea of going, but I'm supposed to be at a lecture and charity event on the same day too... if only there were three of me!  :D

jannah

« Reply #9 on: Oct. 14, 2010, 09:22 PM »

Salam,

Not surprisingly it's sold out for the women!!  :-* But at least they are trying to keep the numbers balanced. Gives everyone a chance right ;)

Nannysam

« Reply #10 on: Oct. 14, 2010, 09:51 PM »

Salaam,
So have they sold out for the sisters? Kinda shocked about that, because the tickets are quiet pricy too.
And yes, bro we all wish we could be in several places at the same tym.If only that was possible! Let us know what you end up doing, in the end inshallah.

Al-Qamar

« Reply #11 on: Oct. 15, 2010, 08:29 AM »

Woh?? It's sold out for women??

OK, I guess that plan is out of the window then... if I was going to go, I was going to drag my sister along too so at least I wasn't by myself

But then again... if the women appear to be outnumbering the men (at this point), then perhaps its in my interest to go... a friend of mine once said to me that it's a sad reality that there are so many more unmarried practising sisters than brothers, so I shouldn't have a problem in getting remarried... except I can't find any (well, none without hangups on the fact that I've been married before, or that I have a beard, or that my parents sacrificed a lot for my education, etc, etc... always one stupid excuse after another)!! Maybe they're all here??

Decisions decisions...

Nannysam

« Reply #12 on: Oct. 15, 2010, 09:42 PM »

Ur right, u shud go..u never know it maybe where u find the right sister<Allah knows best>
Don't think because u've been married before that the sisters will think less of u than a never married brother. Some marriages are just not compatiable and even the sahabah got divorces so who are we? We shouldn't judge a person cus of their past, but we should look in hope for the the future inshallah, a fresh start..And at the end of the day Allah is the best judge.

humararishta

« Reply #13 on: Oct. 14, 2011, 08:56 AM »

Honesty is the best policy, and it cannot be truer on any other platform. On an Indian matrimonial website, you are most likely making a decision for life and it is only fair that you give it a true and honest approach. You may put up some information for the sake of impressing your potential partner but eventually you will have to come out with the truth and that may not come across to well for the credibility of yourself and your family.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up

Individual posts do not reflect the views of halfmydeen.org. All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners.
Comments are owned by the poster and may not be used without consent of the author.
The rest © halfmydeen.org