Advertisement:

Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Reviews of Like A Garment course  (Read 2866 times)

Al-Qamar

Reviews of Like A Garment course
« on: Feb. 22, 2011, 11:17 AM »

OK... who signed up for this

(raises hand up in the air...)

It was a little pricey, $200 for the course... I'm not sure if that's the going rate, but considering AK courses are £60 each, and I'd have paid £120 + hotel fees to attend a similar course, I thought why not... "If you think marriage is expensive, try divorce!"

Anyway, all the videos are taken down from the homepage now, but I do have links to a couple of the original videos still stored

Hadith of Jabir

Phases of Marriage

Reality Strikes Back

I wish I saved the others now... but insha'Allah I'll let you know how the course goes :)

SalwaR

Re: Like A Garment
« Reply #1 on: Feb. 22, 2011, 09:12 PM »

Salam,

Is this like practimate. Practimate do online seminars and webnairs... or something like that. To educate you who is best for you, what to ask and so forth.
It was a similr price i did not join becuase i knew i would not be able to make some of the sessios online and therefore loose out, due to my shift patterns and social/family life etc. But it seems like a good idea.

Al-Qamar

« Reply #2 on: Feb. 22, 2011, 11:12 PM »

Wa alaykum as salaam :)

These sessions are recorded, so even if you miss them, they're available afterwards anyway.

I don't believe this is like Practimate. As I understand, Practimate mainly relies on Sheikh Yasir Birjas, whereas this is being done by Sheikh Yasir Qadhi (the two are close colleagues anyway, and are involved with Al-Maghrib Institute). I've listened to some of Sheikh Yasir Birjas' stuff on marriage (Fiqh of Love, and 'Would I recommend you for marriage'), and it's the same generic family-friendly stuff that pretty much everyone else discusses.

This course is quite specific in (Sheikh Yasir Qadhi's own words) he's concentrating on "love, romance and sexual intimacy." Essentially, whereas most courses on marriage covers the basics, e.g. how to pick a spouse, etc, etc... Sheikh Yasir Qadhi is going into the specifics of what happens between the couple which is far beyond the boundaries that most people even talk about, let alone discuss and teach.

In short, it's very adult material, but from an Islamic perspective, and he's being quite straight to the point. I'm still listening now, and even considering I've been married twice, and have studied the subject of marriage a lot, masha'Allah he's still teaching me profound things that I never knew about relationships.

SalwaR

« Reply #3 on: Feb. 22, 2011, 11:51 PM »

Brother i have read and heard so much about "After marriage" and heard so little on how to get there.
Inshallah i will watch,anything to do with marriag ill read or watch or listen too :D

SalwaR

« Reply #4 on: Feb. 23, 2011, 12:20 AM »

DO you have anymore of the videos? If you do could you send them to me please.
Shukran

Al-Qamar

« Reply #5 on: Feb. 23, 2011, 12:38 AM »

Really? Subhan'Allah... getting there is (relatively) easy... staying there is hard!

And I don't think you would have heard what Sheikh Yasir Qadhi was covering before, it's relatively new... in the sense of it being more on the explicit side of things, so as yet other sheikhs are reluctant to talk about it.

The free ebooks are still available I think, if you download those and read through them, you'll get an idea of what kind of material he's covering, insha'Allah :)

And alhumdulillah, that's a good attitude to have... may you be rewarded for it, insha'Allah :)

As for the videos for Like A Garment, they were only small snippets (1 min each, to emphasis a point). The main one is the hadith of Jabir. With regards to the other stuff, unfortunately it's been forbidden to distribute the other (paid for) material... but I don't believe there's an issue with teaching it (that's what we're supposed to do with knowledge... spread it!)

I also have the audio for the weekend course for Sheikh Alaa's "Home Sweet Home" (as well as the course folder), and Sheikh Yasir Birjas' "Fiqh of Love", as well as Mark Gungor's series on marriage (somewhere... I seem to have lost that one now that I've tried to look for it)... but again for various reasons I'm not permitted to distribute them :(

I think the best thing I can offer you (on the subject of marriage and relationships) are these videos from Sheikh Alaa... I've not watched these ones myself (because I've been to his courses, and alhumdulillah I can and do speak to him directly about any other issues), but it's essentially the same stuff he teaches in a condensed form

Solving the Marriage Dilemma

Dealing with Disagreements

Hope that helps :)

Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatuLlahi wa barakatuhu

SalwaR

« Reply #6 on: Feb. 23, 2011, 01:01 AM »

Thank you

Jazakallah khier

Yes i have read many islamic books,thats talk quiet frankly about intimiate realtionships with spouces, refering to hadiths etc. I have not seen a videothough,only read lots of books on it. I have so many mrriage realted books its crazy.

Aw you sure you cant share  :'(
Inshallah these videos will be sufficiant. Thank you again.

Baraka allahu feek

Al-Qamar

« Reply #7 on: Feb. 23, 2011, 10:58 AM »

Yes i have read many islamic books,thats talk quiet frankly about intimiate realtionships with spouces, refering to hadiths etc. I have not seen a videothough,only read lots of books on it. I have so many mrriage realted books its crazy.
Errm, yes, that's probably best you've not seen a video walkthrough  :-[

Have you read 'The Brides Boon', that was a little shocking on initial reading...

Aw you sure you cant share  :'(
Unfortunately not :(

I did check with Sheikh Alaa though, he doesn't mind the audio being 'shared', but within limited scope (i.e. family, etc, who can ask me directly what he's talking about and access the course notes)... it's not meant for wider internet distribution

SalwaR

« Reply #8 on: Feb. 23, 2011, 09:58 PM »

Uh no, is a muslim book??  :-[

you must not be aware i did go to englih school, and nothing was left out whe they taught us "sex education" at the age of 10 i had seen more then what i should of. Back then there was not "parental" consent. My parents had no clue how indepth and unappropriate some of the content was. Its only now recentlythey started to get prental consent. Too late for my generation  :(

Muslims are family to one another  :D
im your sister, you can share with me  :)

Al-Qamar

« Reply #9 on: Feb. 23, 2011, 11:25 PM »

Ah, fair point. Yes, they had sex education in my primary school too, but my parents opted out for me to learn (I was the only one, believe it or not... but kids being kids, we knew it all already :P)

Ukhti, this course is not about that... that's basically biology. This is more on how to maintain romance, what the men desire and find pleasing, what the women desire and find pleasing, if you know what I mean (I'm a little shy to spell it out clearer than that on a public forum).

As for the book, yes, it's an Islamic book. We actually had a load we were going to distribute at the masjid, until we read it first and discovered the content was a little more 'adult' than we originally guessed. I've got a couple of copies anyway, if you want one, I can post one to you?

SalwaR

« Reply #10 on: Feb. 23, 2011, 11:34 PM »

No brother i think you are being naive, It was not biology stuff, it was acts etc etc etc video footage etc. Not a biology lesson at all. :-[  :-[

My parents were not given th option t "Opt out" i didnt even know the lessons were planned. And i was too  :-[ to talk to my parents about what i had seen  :-X

Um who is the book written by. I know it may have the label of islamic material. Somtims the authers are not trust worthey. Good thing you read it before otherwise you wpuld not be a propular person  :)

SalwaR

« Reply #11 on: Feb. 24, 2011, 01:38 AM »

.... Salem Al-amry gives a good lecture on intimacy between husband and wife. Mashallah he is brilliant  :D

Al-Qamar

« Reply #12 on: Feb. 24, 2011, 02:11 AM »

Yes, I'm probably being naive... I never attended the lesson so I can only imagine what they showed. But I'm sure it wasn't on the deeper workings of a relationship... it was probably more the physical mechanical act itself?

The book is by Mahmoud Al-Istambulli. I've no idea who he is, and I've not read the book thoroughly. I've only flicked through it to get an idea of the content, and I just picked up a couple of copies in case someone asked me regarding this sort of material, I could just give them the book instead of discussing it with them :D

Basheera001

« Reply #13 on: Mar. 16, 2011, 06:53 AM »

like a garment is an awesome course. Yasir Qadhi has such eloquence in his speech! it makes it take the discomfort out of the topic!
Pages: [1] |   Go Up

Individual posts do not reflect the views of halfmydeen.org. All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners.
Comments are owned by the poster and may not be used without consent of the author.
The rest © halfmydeen.org