Advertisement:

Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparing the different Islamic matrimonial sites/programs: What's the best one?  (Read 4833 times)

halfmydeen

• Administrator

What's the best Islamic website or marriage program you've been to and why?

Al-Qamar

Website: PureMatrimony.com for many many reasons, I'm actually inclined to write a proper review of it soon insha'Allah. But in a nutshell, it just works without frustration, and it has pretty much all the features every other site has (except for one which, in my opinion, is just a gimmick anyway and doesn't actually work... for reasons I can elaborate on in my review, insha'Allah)

Programmes:
Home Sweet Home by Sheikh Alaa Elsayed - absolutely amazing course dealing with not only the fiqh of love and marriage, but also family life. It's run by Al-Kauthar Institute all over the world.

Al-Maghrib have a similar course called 'Fiqh of Love' which mainly runs in the US, but they've done it at least once in the UK too. I've not been to that (or any Al-Maghrib courses in general) so can't offer comment in that regard, but the audio from one of Sheikh Yasir Birjas' sessions is available (Sheikh Waleed Basyouni did it in the UK), and the concepts are very clearly explained. It's a little more fiqh heavy than Home Sweet Home (which deal with more practical issues), so it depends on what you're looking for.

Also, definitely worthy of mention is Sheikh Yasir Qadhi's "Like a Garment" course. He deals with more of the intimate details of marital life (i.e. between spouses), concentrating on the areas considered taboo by many scholars today (in the sense that they don't like to talk about it for reasons of modesty). I applaud Sheikh Yasir Qadhi for having the courage to do it, and the content is definitely very beneficial.

The only problem is, because of its nature, he's mentioned he's unlikely to do it again (although I reckon he probably will because feedback is quite positive, and deservedly so)

Al-Qamar

Re: Reviews of Halfourdeen.com
« Reply #2 on: Mar. 26, 2011, 01:33 AM »

Admin: I think you need to clarify exactly what is meant when you say "arguing for/against the site or other sites", because when you're reviewing a service, you're making a case either for or against it by definition. And if someone has made a blanket statement which is false (e.g. X site has Y feature which no other site has...), and this is corrected in pursuit of the truth, how can this be considered wrong? I think credibility for a review is important so people can judge comments accordingly.

muslimagain: I'm curious, exactly how many 'other sites' have you tried? You mentioned the following points:
1 - "almost all these sites have their sites flooded with advertisements". I've only seen SingleMuslim.com guilty of this for external services. Muslima.com does have adverts, but for it's own services (i.e. inviting you to upgrade your account... I'm not sure if they have ads on the paid account though). PureMatrimony.com has no adverts anywhere either.

2 - That hardly seems like a review comment, more like advertising, but khair. My own personal opinion is that a cheap price is a double-edged sword (as I said previously). Sure, it means it can be tested without much risk (I even said this in my first comment about HoD, it's only £5 for a month so it'll hardly break the bank to try), but that also encourages a lot of people who may not be serious because they've only made a small investment. There are pros and cons both ways.

3 - SingleMuslim.com and Muslima.com also have these exact features. PureMatrimony doesn't have the facility to save searches, but it does have built-in pre-sets for those who are looking for you, and whom you're looking for which I find much more effective. Muslima.com has this too.

4 - Isn't this the same as point 2?

Basheera001: in reference to " God knows who created Muslima, Singlemuslim and what not...", SingleMuslim.com was created by a Muslim for entrepreneurial reasons. Muslima.com is created by a bigger company (I don't know their agenda, but I'm sure it's not Islamic, they're just tapping a market). Pure Matrimony is run by Mercy Mission which has a lot of famous sheikhs (as opposed to "celebrities") to their name; particular Sheikh Alaa Elsayed. He's an expert in family fiqh, actually lectures a course on family & marriage (you can see loads of promo videos on YouTube), and has over 20 years experience in marriage counselling. If anyone knows what they're talking about in this game, I'd say it was him... judging by your criteria, PM would thus get two thumbs up presumably? ;)

The 21 questions thing HoD is a good idea (PM has this too)... and I do like that you can specify 10 questions for people interested in you to answer (PM have something similar, but doesn't work as well - you can set 5 questions with a sliding scale, I don't think it's practical at all)... but the interface in selecting the questions on HoD is quite clunky. The other the questions are presented to you are in the reverse order they appear on your profile, and the ordering mechanism is horrendous to work with.

halfmydeen

• Administrator

Assalaam Alaikum,

Al-Qamar I just moved your post in here. I think what we mean by review is that someone who has tried something.com posts and says "I have tried something.com and this is what happened and i liked this or i hated it and think blah blah pertaining to something.com".

Comparing sites is like "something.com has this feature but otherthing.com didn't and i liked this and didn't like this on everything.com" and so on...

I know that isn't a precise definition but hopefully it gives an idea on how to use the threads so everyone feels its fair.

JazakAllah khair for your honest posts.

P.S. -- I missed editing where a few posters compare features and claims with other sites. Those should be in this thread. Hopefully they can move their discussions into here for the benefit of everyone and to prove that no one joined to "bad-mouth other sites in defense of their own". InshaAllah, we all have the same goal here in helping people in these marriage related issues.

Jazakamullahu khairan.

jannah

One of the best marriage programs I've attended has been the "Fiqh of Love" weekend Almaghrib sponsored seminar by Yasir Birjas. I think it was very interesting and fun, very well organized and informative. I enjoyed it a lot and I know the other 300+ people who took it did too :)

Out of all the websites I've tried in the past, I think the best one was singlemuslim.com because they really focused on the more "practicing Muslims".They use certain language, pictures, articles, and advertising to put this idea across that the site is for religious Muslims more than other sites. They also had more profiles with a lot of detailed information about the person with pictures in an easy to read layout. I almost guarantee you this is because there are more British people on the site and for some reason they are more literary and write better and more than other nationalities!! Other sites I really have to suspect some of the profiles and there's just so many with little to no information. I also liked their photo album most recently logged in feature, which I haven't seen anywhere else.

jannah

Some sites have very large budgets for things like admins, dedicated servers, tech support, programmers, and also advertising. Some are also part of bigger organizations like ISNA or ICNA matrimonials.

practising_muslimah

ive tried to get on pure matrimony no less than 4 times, absolutely useless, they dont even respond when i send them emails either. So much for the scholars helping the ummah.

Al-Qamar

ive tried to get on pure matrimony no less than 4 times, absolutely useless, they dont even respond when i send them emails either. So much for the scholars helping the ummah.
Salaam, that's quite interesting. What's been the issue exactly? Lack of an invite code, or your profile not being verified quickly enough, or something else?

The site isn't run by scholars, the scholars are advisors on how it should work/function. It's just normal people actually performing the day-to-day ops.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up

Individual posts do not reflect the views of halfmydeen.org. All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners.
Comments are owned by the poster and may not be used without consent of the author.
The rest © halfmydeen.org