The Prophet’s Marriage to Khadija: A contemporary model
Sr. Rabia Khedr
Marriage is tested today as it has always been tested. When we deal with marriage proposals, assumptions and stereotypes take over and Islam goes out the window. We talk a lot about the racism done to us but rarely the racism we have for each other. Many grow old unmarried because they are looking for an unreal ideal that will not help them in their deen. Let’s start looking with our hearts and our minds. Let’s look to the example of the marriage of the Prophet (sallAllahu alaihi wa sallam) for guidance.
Lessons from the marriage of Muhammad (sallAllahu alaihi wa sallam) and Khadija
- This marriage broke many cultural norms of the time
- It was a woman, Khadija, who initiated the proposal, because of her interest in the honesty and character of Muhammad (sallAllahu alaihi wa sallam)
- There was a large age difference between Muhammad (sallAllahu alaihi wa sallam). He was 23 years old and she was 40.
- There were many difficulties that were endured during the marriage, the revelation, the death of most of their children, being ostracized, etc.
* Everything happens by the will of Allah, and everything that is Allah’s will is our blessing *
Today’s marriages are being tested in different ways. There are many obstacles, but we can use them as opportunities.