Achieving Peace and Harmony in our Family
Sh. Mohammad Beshir
If we build all our relationships based on the guidelines given by Allah, we will have a good life as promised by Him.
And of His signs is that He created for you from yourselves mates that you may find tranquility in them; and He placed between you affection and mercy. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought.
[Surah Rum 30:21]
In a marriage, Allah puts
1) Mawadda – a comprehensive love that brings out the best in the other person
2) Rahmah – being kind, compassionate and merciful towards the other person
Once you are married, accept the other person for what they are and help each other to overcome their shortcomings.
In the Quran, when Allah mentions the verses of divorce, He mentions over 10 times to deal with your spouses “bil maruf”. This means to deal with them in an equitable way, with kindness and respect.
Some key points in:
Marriage — acceptance, respect, patience, sensitivity, compromise, appreciation, courtesy etc.
Parenting — Have a VISION.
*What do you want your child to be when they grow up? Our children are similar to the sahaba in that they are minorities.*
*LINK YOUR CHILD TO ALLAH*
- If you succeed in this, you have completed 90% of your job as a parent
- Parenting is a shared responsibility, for the husband and wife
- Continue to improve your parenting skills
- Realize the responsibility and gravity of the job
- Take charge, do it right
- Make lots of du’aa
- WISDOM: the parents best asset
Advice for young couples
- It takes a long time to know each other
- No one is perfect
- Worship together
- Do fun things together
- Build your own tradition
- Know there will be ups and downs
- Marriage is hard work
- Conflict is bound to arise
- Be romantic