Advertisement:

Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: A documentary on British Muslims seeking partners by BBC...  (Read 2184 times)

BrotherIslam87

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01brd8w/Strictly_Soulmates_Muslim/

It's informative and funny too....actually you get a glimpse of how the marriage events also takes place and how exactly it is organized.

jannah

Re: A documentary on British Muslims seeking partners by BBC...
« Reply #1 on: Feb. 11, 2012, 04:50 AM »

It looks really interesting! I tried to watch it but I think it only works for British residents. Do you know the name of the documentary? I can look for it on youtube or something.

Thanks,
ws

BrotherIslam87

« Reply #2 on: Feb. 11, 2012, 11:50 AM »

Assalamalikum, It is called Strictly Soulmates from BBC three,it has three versions of it.. one made with muslims.. other are with christians and hindus. Each version is one hour long.... If you can't get in youtube or anywhere on the internet..then let me know.

The muslim version follows three people journey of searching for a partner ...one male and two females(Male is 23 yrs, Female-22 yrs ,Female-32yrs) ..Two of them are quite religious and the other describes herself as "liberal with strong connection to Allah".. ..........Enjoy watching!!!  :)

jannah

« Reply #3 on: Feb. 11, 2012, 10:41 PM »

wsalam,

K finally watched this!! Very interesting actually. But I can see why the three aren't married...

1. Zubair - Totally understand his problem about being chill and stuff but because he has a beard ppl make assumptions, like he's extremely strict/no fun. Same major problem my whole life. Hijab to many means extremely strict and religious (and a doormat) so if you aren't ppl can't understand it. He seemed like a nice guy. But I really think it's ridiculous he's looking for a wife in the UK when he is moving to Pakistan in a few weeks. I mean seriously?? Go look in Pak if that's where you want to live.

2. Naila - Kinda young and just going with whatever her mother wants. Is this really a good idea? I think parents should help with introductions and give good advice, but once they start dictating who their kids should marry it's messed up. We really don't find out why she turned the guy down.

3. Dimpy- Turned down 20+ guys!! Seriously?? That's just crazy. I think she definitely has commitment issues all tied up with her father dying issues. Her rishtah search was kind of interesting.  I thought it was funny how they found her rishta's pics on facebook with drinks in hand and arms around girls skimpily dressed. Can totally understand why she turned that one down. But 20+??? At the end after Hajj she says she's ready to compromise but I really don't think she is. She believes the 'pakistani doctor' is the cream of the crop and that's what she wants for herself (cuz she is one) and she feels if she doesn't -- she's compromised herself and her father's dreams for her. So until she works out that whole thing... I dunno...

P.S. - I thought Americans had issues :P We are definitely wayyyy more laid back about these things...

BrotherIslam87

« Reply #4 on: Feb. 12, 2012, 02:23 PM »

My conclusion:

Naila and Zubair were fine.My solution to Dimpy is just grow up ..stop acting like a kid.

jannah

« Reply #5 on: Feb. 12, 2012, 09:47 PM »

To be fair a lot of guys also over 30 are the same exact way. They're looking for their perfect ideals. Especially doctors!!

jannah

« Reply #6 on: Feb. 13, 2012, 03:27 AM »

btw I watched the Hindu episode too. Thought it was really interesting. Seemed like how less practicing muslims might be trying to find spouses. Thought the girl who got married at the end's love story was really beautiful. She seemed tooooootally in love!...

BrotherIslam87

« Reply #7 on: Feb. 14, 2012, 10:47 PM »

The hindu version resembles the a non-practising muslim search. But I can't believe the girl who eventually got married desired or preferred a guy from the same village as her mum... I thought when she is born & bred in Britian she will won't have much affinity to a tiny village but I was proved wrong...

jannah

« Reply #8 on: Mar. 05, 2012, 04:23 AM »

Here it is if anyone didn't get to see it yet. I think the brother was really deserving out of everyone but he definitely should take more time and explain up front that he wants to move to Pakistan.

http://jannah.org/halfmydeen/strictlysoulmates.wmv
Pages: [1] |   Go Up

Individual posts do not reflect the views of halfmydeen.org. All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners.
Comments are owned by the poster and may not be used without consent of the author.
The rest © halfmydeen.org