Madinat al-Muslimeen Islamic Message Board
|How to help Muslim Charitable Organizations|
|12/18/01 at 20:14:04|
|Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah|
1) Make du'aa/supplication
2) Continue to give zakaat to alternative charitable organizations. There are many other methods; the top 3 US Muslim charitable orgs may be frozen, but insha'Allah, not for long. Truth stands clear from falsehood. As a sister pointed out after I had neglected this point, there are still millions of Muslims and people in need who have a right to our wealth, regardless of who gives it to them directly.
3) Write a letter to Ashcroft and anyone else in a public policy making position. Please be aware that public opinion is normally tallied to one side or the other. Same idea with journalists/media personalities who receive word from their viewers/listeners. If they only hear from one side, they will side with that one side to gain more viewers/listeners. Hearing from both sides makes them more balanced. Or so it goes. Granted, they plan and Allah plans, and Allah is the best of Planners.
Also, keep in mind that writing an actual snail-mail-put-an-Eid-stamp-on-it letter is the most effective approach. Next is calling, and the least effective is sending an e-mail, which is still better than nothing. All of the info needed to contact Ashcroft is included in the below CAIR action alert.
CONTACT ATTORNEY GENERAL ASHCROFT TO DEMAND DUE PROCESS OF LAW
(WASHINGTON, DC - 12/16/2001) - At this time of Eid ul-Fitr, CAIR is
calling on Muslims nationwide to contact Attorney General John Ashcroft and
demand that we receive the same civil, religious and legal rights as any
Within the last week, three of the largest Muslim charities (Holy Land
Foundation, Global Relief Foundation and Benevolence International
Foundation) have been shut down without any judge making a ruling or any
jury hearing evidence of criminal behavior. These actions against American
institutions were taken through administrative procedures that would
normally apply to foreign entities.
Our community's zakat and sadaqah are now being held by the government,
instead of going to poor and hungry Muslims in Palestine, Kosova,
Afghanistan, and other areas afflicted by deprivation.
In the past three months, American Muslims have been subjected to secret
detentions without legal recourse, denial of basic due process of law and
widespread racial and religious profiling.
More than 1,000 people were detained in sometimes humiliating
circumstances. Little information has been revealed about these detentions.
To date, only one detainee has been charged with any crime related to the
terrorist attacks. Some 5,000 legal Muslim visitors to this country are
currently being singled out for questioning based on their religion and
Many Muslims have been thrown off airplanes merely because they had an
Islamic name or appeared "Middle Eastern." CAIR also recorded more than
1400 incidents of anti-Muslim backlash since September 11, including
American Muslims are now under a cloud of suspicion produced by a drumbeat
of anti-Muslim rhetoric from those who are taking advantage of the 9-11
tragedy to carry out their agenda of silencing our community and its
leadership once and for all. (President Bush has set a tone of respect for
Muslims and Islam, but his call for tolerance is being overshadowed by
virulent attacks from extremist Islamophobic groups and individuals.)
While we have been patient, knowing that the crime that prompted these
abuses was so horrific and understanding that the war against terrorism
will require sacrifices by all Americans, we are now coming to a time when
we must again assert out full legal and civil rights.
ACTION REQUESTED: (As always, be POLITE and RESPECTFUL.)
Contact Attorney General John Ashcroft to demand that we receive the same
rights as any other Americans. We will not stay silent as we are relegated
to second class status in this society. We will speak up in defense of our
rights and in defense of the Constitution on which they are based.
Ask that he:
1) Allow those Muslims charities who have been shut down to immediately
have their day in court before a judge and jury who can hear evidence and
determine whether any laws have been broken.
2) Provide information about the number of Muslims detained, the conditions
under which they are held and the status of their future release.
3) Put an end to the widespread use of racial, religious and ethnic profiling.
CONTACT: (Letters are best, followed by calls and then e-mails.)
Attorney General John Ashcroft
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001
TEL: 202-353-1555 (Public Comment Line), 202-514-2001 (Attorney General's
FAX: (202) 307-6777
Individual posts do not necessarily reflect the views of Jannah.org, Islam, or all Muslims. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster and may not be used without consent of the author.The rest © Jannah.Org