A R C H I V E S
Madinat al-Muslimeen Islamic Message Board
|08/07/02 at 18:00:07|
|so what are you pet peeves? i bet you got alot if you got children!|
1. hate loud chewing
3. repeating words over again
4. noisy children fighting
5. dog barks
6. drinking or eating in dirty utensils.
7. babies crying for crazy reasons.
8. classic silly songs and music
9. really hot nights
10. mixing up phone calls
i got lots more but this should do for this post..
|08/07/02 at 18:10:57|
Some of my more notable ones:
1. Poor communication.
2. Someone, anyone, not saying please and thank you.
3. Family members using glass after glass after glass and never washing any of them >:( .
4. Inconsiderateness of any kind sends me over the edge.
6. When people don't listen (see number one ;))
7. When someone tells me I didn't inform them of something and I know I did (and they know too, again, see number one!)
8. Did I say when people don't listen - oh yes I did, please see number 6.
9. When folks know something should be done, and don't do it in a timely fashion, and expect you to bail them out.
Okay, that's enough, my fingers are feeling a bit tense!
:-) Muneerah  (who is off to have this bebzi and calm down)
|08/07/02 at 18:11:41|
|08/07/02 at 18:11:07|
A Muslim asking me, a revert, if I pray....
A Muslim asking me, a revert, if I am a cupid Muslim.
Muslim women asking me why I don't have more than one child.
|08/07/02 at 18:14:40|
|[quote author=Kathy link=board=sis;num=1028757607;start=0#2 date=08/07/02 at 18:11:07] [slm]|
A Muslim asking me, a revert, if I pray....
Muslim women asking me why I don't have more than one child.
Add these to my list too.
|08/07/02 at 19:09:40|
|cell phones going off during salah or a class >:(|
|08/07/02 at 22:21:34|
|Cell phones, yuck!!! Not that they are bad but its those people who are on a cell phone when they are at a register to pay, checking in at an airline ticket counter, or at a dinner table practically getting business phone calls left and right...|
|08/07/02 at 22:25:45|
|Oh yes, and I just remembered... men who think they can fix anything, especially electronics, take them apart, and when they are done, there are always leftover pieces...and the item is still not fixed!! LOOOL well, actually, ok, as long as they don't harm the item its no prob but there are always leftovers when like my father, or and of my uncles would try to fix things!|
|08/07/02 at 22:26:34|
|right ameeraana, my father is never left alone... "ph doctor suzie threw up...oh doctor you've got a patient...oh doctor i have pain!"|
its like "(stick a sock in it) i hate that too. maybe we should talk about what we like now, my head is whizzing...
1. fair people
2. people who write back(emails...mail..etc..)
|08/08/02 at 05:23:43|
1.talking loudly over cell phone on public transport
2.body odour when i'm inside an elevator
3.those who cut queue
4.smokes from cigarettes
5.ashtray on table when i'm eating
6.phone call when i'm alone in the house and while in the bathroom
7.packing & unpacking luggage before and after holiday trip
8.strangers asking are u married? when u say no...why not? before u could answer..they have so many conclusions like too picky maybe? career come first huh? aren't there any decent bro at ur workplace? u already have a potential maybe? and so many more...at that time..i wish i have magic to make myself disappear
|08/08/02 at 12:14:44|
1. When professors don't take advantage of technology and resort to the good old chalk board.
2. When your professor needs more room on the chalkboard, so he/she erases what was on before, and never completely manages to remove ALL the little bits of remaining chalk, and then writes over it anyway. >:(
3. When someone points out a mere oversight of the professor, such as "Dr. So-and-so, you misspelt the word 'and' on the board."
4. When a Muslim disses "secular education."
5. When someone asks me to do something as soon as the see me heading to do it. For example. when my roommate tells me to mop the floor as soon as I reach for the bucket, knowing full well that I am not the slob in the household.
6. When someone speaks for me, unless they know what they are talking about.
7. When someone makes false promises.
8. When someone asks why you don't look your family and then if you are adopted (lol..actually, that one is amusing).
9. When someone who is stick-thin says "OMG I AM SO FAT."
10. Evasive people. (In any sense of the word.)
|08/08/02 at 14:12:57|
Pet peeves, lets see
1. greasy dish-washing water, yuck :(
2. people who litter and are totally oblivious that they did something wrong :o
3. inconsiderate drivers
4. when someone says something in an irritable tone just for the sake of being nasty ::)
5. lag on the internet - guess we've all experienced that :D
6. when you have to share your drinks with kids and they leave some of their food in it, like breadcrumbs (or worse), close your eyes and swallow ;)
7. people who don't return books after borrowing them, guess I'm the foolish one for lending it
8. wet towels
I can't think of anymore. Oh yes, people asking one whether you are a moderate muslim or not, what does that mean?
Ankabut :-) (Oh ya one more, ever get the question, what's that thing on your head, I'm sure there's a better way to ask that question :-*)
|08/08/02 at 14:53:12|
|you sure are my kind of person Ankabut.|
here are more pet peeves of mine...
1. backbiting on your own friends and the person your talking to's friends'.
2. selfishness(especially if your kind and generous and your own relative is *selfish)
3. baby slobber on your clothes (ew! back wash)
4. i hate suspicion and can't stand it either.
5. i also HATE to put words on other people mouthes or they doing it to me( like she said so-and-so and i never even thought of it!)
but the worst of all that i CAN NEVER DO, and HATE seeing OTHERS DO...
is the worst of faslehood and tales after suspicion...LYING! I just pure hate and can't stand people saying lies. like (you go tell someone a story and then the next few days that same person you told the story to tells it to you and makes up more stuff to it) its like "didn't i tell you that? and thats not how i told you it." and then that person replies to you "yeah but a story always needs some salt and pepper." my ~********~ (don't want to back-bite, or name anyone) did it to my grandpa before. i just hate it!
well you could truly say that i am truthful ;)
|08/08/02 at 15:13:45|
1. It bothers me when I meet someone new and they start explaining to me the most basics of Islam..as if I know nothing because i'm a revert. ::)
2. When my friend's children come to my house and start going through all my stuff and their parents don't stop them.
3. When there is a difference of opinion in Fiqh and I believe something different than someone else yet they shove their views down my throat. :(
4. I hate when people get angry. (I can count the times I have been angry in my whole life on my fingers ;))
5. When you put a lot of effort into putting a baby to sleep, then when you finally put him/her down they wake up. 8)
I have lots more..Ill add later.. :-*
|08/09/02 at 12:19:13|
| [slm] |
Hi I a new member and since I found this to b quite an interesting topic .....good for people needing catharsis and too lazy to use a diary....like me :D.......so here goes.....
1) People backing biting about their best friends in front of strangers.
2)Passing comments on people just for the sake of sounding funny......really puts me off >:(
3)People treating me like a child ....one who knows no better.
4)And lastly when people assume things about me........(and r usually wrong).
Well that's it for now...........thanks for providing me with an opportunity to vent.......... :-*
|08/09/02 at 12:43:44|
ok here it goes,
1. people chewing on thier food all loud(I just can't stand it!)
2. Truthfinder, the one about the putting baby to sleep and having him/her wake up right after you put em down..Aaagghh!
3. people chewing on thier nails
4. anyone smoking right in my face especially when they know I CANNOT stand it
5. Giving someone an idea and the next day they tell you the same idea you told em making it sound like thier own (men tend to do that a lot..sorry guys!)
6. oh yes the one with being stick thin and saying OMG I AM SO FAT :o
Can't think of more right now but I am sure I will later... :)
|08/10/02 at 22:46:41|
My #1 pet peeve is...(drumroll) When people stare at you just for no reason. I'm talking about walking into the middle of class-late- and everyone stares at you. Or your in the mall, and walk somewhere where people are sitting and they stare at you-you stare back-but they won't look away. People in Palestine have this problem-Arabs and jews. The Arabs call it "Strong Eyes"
#2 people lying, for example :American govt. and the jewish govt. so called friends.
|08/10/02 at 23:40:07|
Palestine__Love...u're new right?? Newbies give an intro in the bebzi stand :-X
p.p.......hmm.....so many to choose from.......
My #1 p.p. is when ppl are two-faced. They pretend to be a different person with you than when they're with other ppl. I knew of a girl who was like that, and subhanAllah, her true face came out in the end.
#2 is when ppl don't keep their promises. They say they're gonna do s/thing yet they don't and make up excuses as to why they couldn't.
#3 is like Palestine__Love said when ppl stare and not just a short/by accident glance, but a long and hard stare. I'm at a red light and the ppl in the next car are just looking the whole time, it's as if they haven't seen a hijabi before.
#4 is when ppl lie and just keep on doing it w/o thinking of the consequences.
I'm going to stop now....hehe.....plz forgive me if i've offended anyone, it was not intentional. May Allahu SubhanaHu Wata'ala also forgive me for saying s/thing wrong, ameen.
|08/11/02 at 00:48:36|
Pet peeves are :
1.) My spouses jokes! :P
2.) When my spouse puts strange objects in his mouth! :P
3.) People who act dumb! >:(
4.) Freeloaders! >:(
5.) Know - it - alls! ::)
6.) Finally, all the Dr. Evils of the world! Ill tempered & Ill mannered! :-/
( I just love these smileys!)
|08/11/02 at 14:20:35|
|oh the most annoying thing to me is when my bro touches me with wet hands he pats my face (knowing how much i hate that ) and then run away..and it makes me go bezerk!! literally..actually everythign he does pisses me off...|
and when my dad comes in my room EVERY day and turns the fan off when it is 80 degrees outside (we dont have AC in our house) and im like WHY...WHY ME...WHY EVERY DAY :'( < he does this when im sleeping> grrrrrr
and the ppl at banana republic who look at you like u dont belong there..soooo stuck up..i cant stand them either.. thats why i dont shop from that store ;D
|08/11/02 at 17:07:09|
Heres another pet peeve:
#1 People who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom.
#2 Kids who make noise at the Mosque during prayer.
#3 Too MUCH homework, then you have to go to work later, by the time you get home youre too tired to do anything.
#4 Customers who get an attuide w/you, because they know that youre not allowed to talk back to them.
|08/11/02 at 17:21:33|
ONE MORE: non-Muslims who are racist, then they say all these untrue things about Islams/Muslims that they look really dumb after they say it.
The KKK (Ku Klax Klan) don't they know how silly they look with those dunce hats on?
*am I allowed to say those things on the board???*
|08/11/02 at 19:43:34|
|Speakers who are answering questions from the group and refer to the men as having questions, and to the women as having complaints....|
|08/11/02 at 19:50:42|
|When you go to a potluck dinner and the woman [i]who is in charge of dividing the food and is not from your culture[/i]takes one look at your dish and passes the whole thing over to the men's side!|
or like what happened last night:
I made a couple of cakes for the Masjid Community dinner, Ali watched in anticipation, with his mouth watering.
They never made it to the men's side!
|08/11/02 at 23:21:18|
|Most times I really don't let things bother me, because usually there's nothing you can do about them, so why give yourself all those anguished moments *wry smile*|
But there's one thing that really bothers me, and thats gossip, not the harmless type, but the really cheap/backbiting type. And the moments I hate most is at those typical functions when you just can't distance yourself from those ppl, nor can you say anything because it would be viewed as disrespectful and of course reflect badly on you/your family. You know what I mean?
|08/11/02 at 23:50:26|
| ;D [slm]|
* great topic, i can relate to almost all of this in one way or another hehe
here are mine:
1. When someone calls you just to talk, and half the time they're saying soooo wats up, then the other half its just quiet on both ends and you're holding the phone up to your ear while watching tv.
2. People just grabbing your purse and helping htemselves to whatever they can find (not that i'm not willing to share but please ask!)
4. People that make fun of others, just for kicks.
5. Most of allllll...... when someone other than me cleans my room and then i can't find anything anymore
ok lame ones but i really cant think of them now that i need them lol...
|08/12/02 at 05:59:27|
| [slm] to all|
just remember more of my pet peeves :D
# when someone started with i wanna tell u something...suddenly they changed their mind and told i think its better that u dont know...or maybe i tell u some other time..or i'm not sure if i should tell u this etc.. the curiosity is just too much for me ???
#in a middle of discussion...i was about to say something and i went totally blank on something for eg. title of a book, name of the person etc ... no matter how hard i knock my forehead..the word refuse to come out ... and i will spend hours later trying recalling what was it...after discussion was long over....taraaa...here comes the word...but moments over :(
#when colleagues went through my shopping bags as soon as i'm back from shopping without asking my permission ... i wouldnt mind showing really...but pls pls ask me first....
#when i get scolded or shouted at work just 5-10 minutes after my working day begin ...it will just ruin my working mood for the whole day...ok i might be a little sensitive here :D hey at least let a few hours gone first before someone starts shouting at me ...i'm stronger then ;D
i think thats all .... for now at least :-*
|08/13/02 at 10:34:34|
|1. People staring for no reason.|
2. Having 2 ask people if they are non-vegetarians, so you can freely discuss the chicken biryani you had, without them looking like they'll puke all over you.
3. People asking if u are'nt hot with that thing on your head.
4. People seeing that u r muslim & speaking to u in urdu because darn 'illiterate' muslims cant understand English (watch the look on their faces when i actually start speaking English with an un-Indian accent :o )
5. Self proclaimed 'modern' muslims giving u that 'O she's an "orthodox" muslim look'.
6. Non-muslims & 'mod' muslims giving u a lecture on self imposed constraints - as in not shaking hands with guys, etc.
7. The same class of people telling u how your version of the hijab is extreme & generally telling how Islam should actually be practiced
8. Learning that every other hindu guy's name which might sound extremely funny & u accidentally make fun of, is actually a 'god's name'
9. Having to say salam to a muslim guy who has a girlfriend dangling on his arm.
10. Men making chauvinist remarks just 2 watch your reaction.
Phew!!! That should cover it.
How's that for my second post?
|08/13/02 at 10:42:00|
|Oops i forgot!!|
1. Guys wondering out loud what u look like under 'that thing'.
2. Girls describing 2 the guys what u look like under 'that thing'.
And this is a very difficult thing 2 avoid as i stay in a hostel.
Anyway, when i return, i resolve never 2 remove 'that thing' except 2 dry my hair.
|08/13/02 at 10:48:12|
|[quote author=safa link=board=sis;num=1028757607;start=15#26 date=08/13/02 at 10:34:34]|
How's that for my second post? [/quote]
Hey sis, you and I have a lot of the same DISlikes. Now if we have a lot of the same "LIKES" then we have a lot in common :)
Lemme add a few:
-people coming to visit with about 15 mn (or no) prior warning and it just happens to be on the day when your house is a wreck and you have no food in the fridge.
-When you invite a number of people and each of them brings a friend, or two or three.
BEING BORED AT WORK LIKE I AM TODAY!!!!!!!!!
but here's what I DO like [/glow](in no particular order):
-VACATION :) Mine's starting tomorrow insha Allah.
-Listening to a good lecture that moves me to tears and actually has an effect on me.
- People pouring their heart out to me and then saying: I don't know why I'm telling you this :) It makes me feel all warm inside :)
- Kids (other people's that is)
- lots of other stuff, there's so many things I like I can't count them, they're all blessings from Allah Ta'ala and there's no way I can ever begin thanking Him enough for everything but I hope at least that I'm trying.
:-* Happy mariam
|08/13/02 at 10:54:30|
|08/13/02 at 10:54:32|
gd 2nd post safa.
my own pet peeves are:
1. not being able to remember a really funny joke I've heard.
2. ppl who make sarcastic remarks and me not being able to come up with a decent reply until 5hrs later.
3. saying something or doing something really embarassing.
4. ppl who never reply to your email even tho' u know they check their account everyday.
5. ppl who dont keep their promises & are unreliable.
6. when i start to blush & go red when i'm embarassed.
okay, Nafisa done. ;D
|08/13/02 at 17:45:04|
I actually have a pet peeve about myself that I'm working to get rid of:
I'm not talking about getting mad every minute at people. I'm talking about when someone says something rude/insult to me or other people. And instead of responding calmly I get getto with them. That's why I had to quit my old job in June, because of this coworker and my boss. My coworker always had something to say about people behind their backs-never to their face. I don't like when people GOSSIP about other people. So I'm always losing my temper and get in her face. Then my boss likes to intimate (misspelled?) everyone including the kids (I use to work at a daycare) and everytime she says something mean to me or the kids I do it right back to her. I wonder why she nevered fired me........
|08/14/02 at 01:12:06|
|[quote]3. When there is a difference of opinion in Fiqh and I believe something different than someone else yet they shove their views down my throat.[/quote]|
sister this is exactly what i don't like but what are u gonna do???
i hate mother in laws who boss you around or tell you things like "do you know how to change your clothes?" or you things old ladyish (sorry oldies :D )
i have to go. wa salamualaikum wr br... ;)
|08/15/02 at 01:44:46|
1. People driving slow, i.e. speed limit in the left lane!
|08/15/02 at 21:35:12|
My pet peeve: me :-/
Seriously. I get on my nerves a lot ;D
Following MF's neat idea, the things I like:
2- everything in it, cos Allah is always there, so is all good!
There's a nice little story (is this Like No 3? ;D) that elaborates on no. 2 - my friend related it to me at a very timely point in my life, and subhanallah, it dramatically change` my perspective on things...
A story is told about a King in Africa who had a close friend that he grew up with. The friend had a habit of looking at every situation that ever occurred in his life (positive or negative) by remarking, "This is good, Allah Almighty knows best" Consequently he was known as This-Is-Good!
One day the King and This-Is-Good were out on a hunting expedition. The friend would load and prepare the guns for the King. This-Is-Good had apparently done something wrong in preparing one of the guns, for after taking the gun from his friend, the King fired it and his thumb was blown off.
Examining the situation This-Is-Good remarked as usual, "This is good! Allah Almighty knows best." To which the King replied, "No, this is NOT good!" and ordered his soldiers to put his friend into jail.
About a year later, the King was hunting in an area that he should have known to stay clear of. Cannibals captured the King and took him to their village. They tied his hands, stacked some wood, set up a stake and bound him to the stake.
As they came near to set fire to the wood, they noticed that the King was missing a thumb. Being superstitious, they never ate anyone who was less than whole. So after untying the King, they chased him out of the village.
When the King reached his Palace, he was reminded of the event that had taken his thumb and felt remorse for his treatment of his friend. He went immediately to the jail to speak with his friend.
"You were right" the King said, "it was good that my thumb was blown off." And he proceeded to tell the friend all that had just happened. "I am very sorry for sending you to jail for so long. It was bad for me to do this."
"No," This-Is-Good replied, smiling benignly, "this is good...Allah Almighty knows best"
"What do you mean, 'this is good'! How could it be good that I sent my friend to jail for a year?"
This-Is-Good replied: "Remember that the Almighty knows best and if I had NOT been in jail, I would have been with you on that hunting trip, and the cannibals would have eaten me instead."
"He knows what is before them And what is behind them: And to Allah go back All questions (for decision)" Qur'an:Surah Al Hajj 22:76
Alhamdulillah! :) Peace y'all!
Madinat al-Muslimeen Islamic Message Board