// Islam subway ads cause stir in New York
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: One who has health has hope, and one who has hope has everything. - Arabic Proverb
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Islam subway ads cause stir in New York  (Read 2203 times)
nuh
« on: Jul 24, 2008 02:08 AM »

NEW YORK (CNN)  -- Ads promoting Islam are to be placed on New York subway cars in September, but a U.S. congressman finds people sponsoring the messages unacceptable.

"I have no problem with the ad itself, but I have a very, very real problem with those behind it," Rep. Peter King, a New York Republican, said Tuesday. He is urging the Metropolitan Transit Authority to reject the ads.

The campaign is to feature ads on 1,000 of the subway system's roughly 6,200 cars. The main sponsor is a grass-roots organization, Islamic Circle of North America.

The ads, simple black-and-white panels, will feature key words or phrases about Islam on one side of the panel such as "Head Scarf?" or "Prophet Muhammad?" and the words "You deserve to know" along with the Web site address WhyIslam.org on the other side.

(more)

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/07/22/islam.ads/?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2008 04:25 AM »

What complete racists. There's been ads for Jesus Christ and the Latter Day saints up the wazoo and a million other groups. Now all of a sudden it's a jihad train. What garbage.
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2008 12:09 AM »

Cair defends once again, (did I mention Im a fan of Cair)
THey really have to put up with alot and they do it all for us and ofcourse God.

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2008 07:28 AM »

Ibrahim Hooper is awesome. Poor guy has to argue with bigots like that all day long. Argggh those talk show hosts are so horrible, it's so easy how they do it. Make up stuff, innuendos, play on people's 9/11 terrorism fears, they're trying to make every muslim and every muslim organization out to be evil.  And the host...!!! uhhhhh whatever happened to objective journalism... what crap...then again FOX news what do u expect... I think their nickname is Dajjal News Network.
nuh
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2008 12:12 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

I should not have watched that -- my blood pressure is going to be through the room all day!

nuh
 bro
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2008 03:39 PM »

salam

That was totally foxish!!   Mayor Bloomberg himself is not against the idea of the ads.

I am not sure how things will  playout.  I think people should not write to the news network itself to complain, fox is hopeless.  Maybe concern should be raised with the NY transit itself.  Cair should put some efforts there. 

take care
wassalam

se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2008 03:39 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

It's unbelievable how they can portray Imam Siraj in such a negative light simply because he was a witness in a case... and when he has done so much good for the Brooklyn and larger NYC community...  We're talking about the man who cleaned up some of the roughest streets in Brooklyn from crime, drug pushers and gang bangers, leading an effort to police neighborhoods that even the police were scared to enter...  and this is the thanks he gets!  Huh? 
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2008 01:16 PM »

fox news -- all the reporters and anchors are always smiling when reading news stories.  even when the news stories are really tragic.

Grin 700 people just died today  Smiley Wink

they're so annoying.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2008 07:18 AM »

salams,

grrr makes me so mad.. what an IDIOT and this guy is on homeland security?? wth? totally makes me think there's some kind of plan to take down our leaders one by one... imam siraj, imam hamza... who's next... if u can't make up something and jail them, use a smear compaign!!

Here's our own br Azeem who sometimes posts on this board defending ICNA. You go brotha!!

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2008 12:48 PM »

dannnggg....

Br. Azeem did a good job, because he simply didn't engage in a discussion about Imam Siraj's character -- because all that does is detract from the real issue. 

Honestly, if it wasn't Siraj Wahhaj backing that up, they would find something else to criticize the campaign.

Wasalaam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: