Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single muslim man is in want of a muslim wife.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Travel Horror Stories  (Read 2960 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jul 24, 2008 11:40 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Given that it seems that the world and his dog are on holidays at the moment, I wondered if any of you guys had any particular bad escapades when it came to travelling.

One particular incident that springs to mind for me was when the airline we had booked our baby cot seat with failed to recognise our booking and I spent an entire 12 hour flight with a 18 month old on my lap!!

I also have to say I'm not sure I'm too keen on these new regulations allow in flight mobile calls.

Can't people ever get off their iPhones and Blackberrys???  Roll Eyes

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2008 12:41 PM »

salam

years ago we flew air syria, to go to India.

Our tickets were confirmed and everything, however my uncle refused to pay a bribe to the man at the check in desk in India. When we got to Damascus the airline insisted we did not have confirmed tickets, and would not allow us to board the plane.

We ended up staying at a nearby hotel on the airline, we were stranded with a french family. The syrian authorities would nto allow us to go sightseeing as we did not have visas! And the UK authorities could not do anything as we do not have diplomatic relations with the country.

Flights from Damascus to the UK were twice weekly! Come the next round we were all exhausted and extremely ill. The Syrian man at the desk would not allow us to check in.
Dad was being polite, I was thirteen years old and suffering no such affliction. I went right up to the man and screamed blue murder at him in English, he told me to be quiet as he was a man and as a mere girl I should not speak to him. I refused to stop screaming until a Syrian businessman took pity on us and had words with someone allowing us to swiftly check in.

The plane on our return flight was completely empty, so the guy at check in would have had an utterly empty flight but not allowed us to board!

Moral of the story. Do not Fly air Syria unless your destination is Syria.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2008 08:10 PM »

ws,

oooo the best is when i was on my way to egypt and we were already 2 hours late and 8 planes ahead of us at JFK and then finally when we're on the tarmac *about* to lift off, the pilot comes on and says we have to go back because a mother forgot her baby at the terminal!!

...then as we were heading back all of a sudden all these flashing police cars and security surrounded the plane and uniformed men with guns came out.... we were all like oh @$#@ is this a hostage/terrorist situation....

then they got on the plane and arrested the mother, finally took off all her luggage and then left... then about an hour later we finally took off !!

p.s. syria air??? is there such a thing? we always take royal jordanian because i don't think there are any flights from western countries directly to damascus?
AbdulBasir
Bro

Reputation Power: 8
AbdulBasir has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2008 10:52 PM »

salam

Everytime I travel this saying attributed to sayiddina Ali RA rings through my head over and over again: "Travelling is a form of torture"...and then I begin to understand why the du'a of a traveller is worth so much, because of the wringer you're being put through.

Alhamdulillah I haven't had real horror stories apart from some minor mishaps here and there...

This isn't a horror story, but it comes to mind...I was in Amman once and planning to go for Umrah from there. So I was incredibly psyched and excited about going for the Umrah, and just before we were going to the airport I was in my room putting on my Ihram. I have my Ihram on and am going into Ihram mode when suddenly I hear this banging on the door "Don't put on your Ihram! Don't put on your Ihram! The flight has been cancelled!".

So there I was in my room in my Ihram, completely shattered. There is nothing worse than having to take off your Ihram without performing Umrah after having put it on. Can't describe it; it'd be like a few hours before your wedding someone told you hold up, it's been postponed to another day, change back into your normal clothes Wink

alhamdulillah I made it for Umrah eventually, but I still remember that sick feeling Wink
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2008 12:12 AM »

salam

Given Americas ermmm public diplomatic non-relations stance with Syria I would think Syrian airlines do not operate in the states (you're so lucky).

Syrian airlines do exist in Europe and I will remember them to my dying day, the hotel we were forced to stay at didn't even provide zabiha meat! Mind you that didn't matter as we were far to busy being very sick for our entire stay to care very much.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2008 02:45 AM »

Yeah.... Emirates lost my bags once.  I was travelling Karachi - Dar es Salaam ... and then onwards to a remote village in Tanzania.

They lost BOTH bags (one had Tanzania work clothes, the other had Pakistani clothes I was bringing back with me for my entire family).  So I had no clothes.  I remember purchasing 3 touristy t-shirts and 2 trousers that totally didn't fit because I didn't know when the bags would arrive, and even when they did arrive, I had no idea how they would get to the remote village I was in.  All my pictures have me standing in a t-shirt with a lion that says "KARIBOU" or something equally as strange.

2 months in and they still hadn't found em.  Anyway, the day before I was leaving, from Dar to London -- they found them.  Each suitcase was torn, had a broken wheel, and was missing a few items.

Sad, because now I had excess baggage.  Even sadder because I had contracted a virus which translated as warts on the soles of my feet.  Even sadder because I had to change airports in London (God how I hate those stupid airports in that city).  Of course, I was always randomly selected for special security.  Which means I not only had to lug those suitcases from airport to airport - I had to lift them high enough to place on the counter so that some buffoon could inspect what was in there.  That was a NIGHTMARE of a trip back to Toronto.

That was the last time I opted for a stopover in London.  (sorry British people)   
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2008 02:53 AM »

haha wait I have another one:

We used to live in Somalia.... maybe someone can relate (sis Halima??)

Okay so they used to refer to Somali airlines as InshaAllah Air.... coz sometimes you were lucky and it actually flew.  So one day we're all packed and ready to go on vacay to Pakistan.  We check in our bags.  We have a seat in the waiting lounge.  We're waiting for the flight call. 

Slowly, all of the airport personnel seem to be leaving.  All of a sudden the lights turn off.  So we're like... "umm?" My dad tries to find someone -- ain't NO ONE around except us passengers.  We try to get out of the airport lounge... it's locked.  Finally there's some olllldddd guard who comes with a lantern and peers inside.  So my dad's like... dude what happened? We had a flight? Where's everybody.

The guy's like... "what flight? No more flight. Everyone's gone.  Go to sleep, come back tomorrow."

Everyone was like...okay let us out.

He didn't have a key. My mom was freaking out because we didn't have food.  We were all hungry and cranky.

But we couldn't do anything, we just had to wait til morning.

Yeah honestly, I have some more of these... but we'll stop there for now.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2008 06:26 AM »

ws,

wow dude.... ur somalia one should take the cake in this thread....  bebzi 's on the house Wink
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2008 10:04 AM »

peace be upon you

haha....SyriaAir, yes they operate to Europe, and are like the cheapest tickets ever!! Just be prepared to have the experience of an old 1930's bus, only it flies...yeah, not a good choice at all.  On the plus side, waving a few $$$ notes at the check-in counter can solve any problem you may have, from unconfirmed tickets, to overweight baggage.  Oh the System is alive and thriving...

I dont have any horror stories, alhamdulillah.  The closet thing to a disaster was on Hajj, when they "lost" my sister's baggage, and she had to wear my clothes for the whole time we were in Madina ... She looked like she was wearing hand-me-ups, hehe. she's shorter, so all my stuff was too long, and she just looked odd.  FInally weeks later her bag arrived to Makkah, it had made the grand trip all the way to Egypt, Libya, Morocco, and then to Yemen and Saudi.  Woohoo for the bag!

Oh, if you ever fly to South Africa, make sure you plastic wrap your bags, or take other measures to secure your bags, cuz they will steal anything and everything...and they dont allow locks or zips to stop them.  I think travelling home is about the most nerve wrecking experience, waiting at the turn-about for your bags, hoping they arrive in one piece. 

I LOVE to travel. But I HATE the travelling.

Bon Voyage
Salam
S.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2008 07:19 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I actually flew Syrian Air from London the first time I went to Umrah.

Our group had specially chartered the plane and it was brand new and we had no problems at all!!

That was a few years ago mind.....

As for Emirates, its amazing how many stories I hear of people who lose bags with them. I think Sr Shahida's shrink wrap idea may be a good one, I always wondered why people had such a love affair with cellophane  bro

But I do agree, the sooner someone invents one of those Star Trek teleport machines, the happier I'd be!!

Slowly, all of the airport personnel seem to be leaving.  All of a sudden the lights turn off.  So we're like... "umm?" My dad tries to find someone -- ain't NO ONE around except us passengers.  We try to get out of the airport lounge... it's locked.  Finally there's some olllldddd guard who comes with a lantern and peers inside.  So my dad's like... dude what happened? We had a flight? Where's everybody.

The guy's like... "what flight? No more flight. Everyone's gone.  Go to sleep, come back tomorrow."

Sounds like the opening of Heathrow Terminal 5 Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2008 09:22 AM »

ws,

Haha funny, we lost luggage on Emirates too!! On our way to Hajj via India of course. Turned out to be really bad because my dad's heart medications were all in the suitcase! So then we were running around India trying to find generic brand medications. Our suitcases finally arrived like a week later, a day or two before we had to leave. Amazing thing is that they hand delivered it all the way to a tiny village in India. I'm sure that was way more expensive than actually building an efficient luggage system... sigh  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: