// Turkish soap operas causing divorces!!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Efficiency: The Prophet said: 'There are two blessings that many people fail to make the most of: good health and free time.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turkish soap operas causing divorces!!  (Read 4195 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jul 29, 2008 08:59 PM »

Duh I'm sure the reason why clerics are condemning it is because of all the unislamic elements ie sleeping around before marriage etc not because he's being good to his wife sheesh!! He's definitely good looking maybe that's why he has a following of a legion of young women!!

(Holy I tried watching it and since it's in fusha I understood it! uhhhh hope I don't get addicted too!)

===================================================
Soap opera shakes customs of Arab married life

By KARIN LAUB and DALIA NAMMARI – 2 days ago

RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) — Every evening for the past four months, a tall young man with soulful blue eyes has been stealing hearts across the Middle East, from the refugee camps of the Gaza Strip to the gated mansions of Riyadh.

But it's not just the striking good looks of Mohannad, hero of the hugely popular Turkish TV soap "Noor," that appeal to female viewers. He's romantic, attentive to his wife, Noor, supportive of her independence and ambitions as a fashion designer — in short, a rare gem for women in conservative, male-dominated surroundings.

"Noor" delivers an idealized portrayal of modern married life as equal partnership — clashing with the norms of traditional Middle Eastern societies where elders often have the final word on whom a woman should marry and many are still confined to the role of wife and mother.

Some Muslim preachers in the West Bank and Saudi Arabia have taken notice, saying the show is un-Islamic and urging the faithful to change channels. But all the same, the show may be planting seeds of change.

"I told my husband, `learn from him (Mohannad) how he treats her, how he loves her, how he cares about her," said Heba Hamdan, 24, a housewife visiting the West Bank from Amman, Jordan. Married straight out of college, she said the show inspired her to go out and look for a job.

"Noor" seems particularly effective in changing attitudes because it offers new content in a familiar setting: Turkey is a Muslim country, inviting stronger viewer identification than Western TV imports. The characters in "Noor" observe the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, and Mohannad and Noor were married in a match arranged by his grandfather.

But it also upholds secular liberties: Protagonists have a drink with dinner and sex outside marriage. Mohannad, while faithful to Noor, had a child with a former girlfriend, and a cousin underwent an abortion.

The nightly soap opera "shows that there are Muslims who live differently," said Islah Jad, a professor of women's studies at the West Bank's Bir Zeit University.

The show's Turkish producer, Kemal Uzun, added: "We are a little more open, not as conservative as some of these countries, and I think this might have some appeal for the audience."

Even though some of the racier scenes are sanitized for Arab consumption, clerics have been sermonizing against "Noor." "This series collides with our Islamic religion, values and traditions," warned Hamed Bitawi, a lawmaker of the Islamic militant Hamas and preacher in the West Bank city of Nablus.

But the purists seem powerless to halt the "Noor" craze.

In Saudi Arabia, the only country with ratings, about three to four million people watch daily, out of a population of nearly 28 million, according to MBC, the Saudi-owned satellite channel that airs the show dubbed into Arabic for Middle East audiences.

In the West Bank and Gaza, streets are deserted during show time and socializing is timed around it. In Riyadh, the Saudi capital, and in Hebron, the West Bank's most conservative city, maternity wards report a rise in babies named Noor and Mohannad. A West Bank poster vendor has ditched Yasser Arafat and Saddam Hussein for Noor and Mohannad.

Jaro's Clothing Store in Gaza City is doing brisk business in copies of blouses seen on the show, including a sleeveless metallic number adapted to Gaza standards by being worn over a long-sleeved leotard.

Producer Uzun said the Istanbul villa on the Bosporus, fictional home of Mohannad's upper-class clan, has been rented by tour operators and turned into a temporary museum for Arab visitors.

A recent cartoon in the Saudi paper Al-Riyadh showed a plain-looking man marching into a plastic surgeon's office with a picture of Mohannad with his designer stubble. (Kivanc Tatlitug, who plays Mohannad, is an ex-basketball player who won the 2002 "Best Model of the World" award.)

In the West Bank city of Nablus, civil servant Mohammed Daraghmeh said he had MBC blocked at home so his kids couldn't watch, but the family vowed to watch it at an uncle's house and he backed down.

In Hamas-ruled Gaza, keeping up with "Noor" is a challenge.

Power goes out frequently because of a yearlong blockade imposed by Israel and Egypt after the violent Hamas takeover. When a blackout disrupts viewing, many set their alarms to catch the pre-dawn repeat.

In the Shati refugee camp, several teenage girls huddled around an old TV set recently, trying to follow the action despite overflights by pilotless Israeli aircraft that can scramble reception.

Ala Hamami, 17, wearing a black robe and head scarf, said she looks up to Noor because she is independent.

"This series gives strength to women in the future," said Hamami, although she was set on a very traditional path — she had just gotten engaged in an arranged match.

The cultural divide between modern Turkey and traditional Gaza became apparent in a scene where Mohannad and Noor, played by Songul Oden, both end up hospitalized. The girls giggled and Hamami quickly changed channels when Mohannad entered his wife's room and lay beside her to comfort her. The display of physical contact clearly made her uncomfortable.

Whether the "Noor" effect will be lasting is not known. The season finale falls Aug. 30, the day before Ramadan begins and religious fervor intensifies. Next up on MBC will be "Bab al-Hara," a Ramadan favorite that looks nostalgically at traditional Arab life.
UN
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2008 06:36 AM »

The Dajjal will make a stop at a place called Markanat, near Taif. On hearing about his arrival the womenfolk will rush towards him, the men will be forced to tie their mothers, daughters, and sisters fearing they will believe in him and get caught up in fitna.   (Ibne Umar-Musnad Ahmad)
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2008 10:11 AM »

So do you think the hero of that show is the dajjal? I didn't quite see a one eye on him though?
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2008 10:17 AM »

lol.

i watch the show.  its very theatrical and pretty easy to understand. although i'm not sure when she had the baby and who's baby it is.

and yesterday, the guy was throwing around furniture and he got really mad. no clue why.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2008 10:30 AM »

ws,

i watched the first 5 minutes and i was like wth? the gf gets hit by a truck or something right in front of him. jeez talk about traumatizing people. i don't think i'll ever open my car door again! i wish they could make movies/soaps where the protagonist is a an independent strong muslimah. they always have to make that archetype so secular. the only half way decent one is Rayyaan on Little Mosque on the Prairie. A friend of mine just joined the writing team for lmotp this summer so hopefully the show is going to get better ia!!
UN
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2008 11:58 AM »

So do you think the hero of that show is the dajjal? I didn't quite see a one eye on him though?

The Hadith was posted seeing the socail reactions to the fitna-e-dajjal show. The reactions  for which Ulmas got concerned.
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 22
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Ahla Haya

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2008 04:03 PM »

i'm not sure when she had the baby and who's baby it is.

Noor & Mohanad recently had a Baby Girl named Malak  surprise

and yesterday, the guy was throwing around furniture and he got really mad. no clue why.

...cos Noor left him and as usual he went ballistic ...  karate

I really think he's sweet, but subhana`Allah he's so hot tempered!!!

"...Surely my prayer and my sacrifice, my life and my death are for Allah, the Lord of the Worlds..." (Qur'an, 6:162)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2008 04:29 PM »

salam

Right so the answers beg the following questions;

Why did Noor leave him, especially if they recently had a baby together what

Addicted already and no signs of a TV in my house whatsoever.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2008 10:45 PM »

also... anyone know what the note on the flowers said?

it was in turkish, and he made her take them away when he saw the note Sad
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2008 05:34 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

I will be sure to boycott the advertisers on MBC that run commericials during this show.   May they have no barakah in their business.

It is strange that our Muslim sisters have no Ghirah for their religion.  This program is openly aimed at corrupting the values of our youth, and encouraging them to commit adultery, and no one is jealous for their religion?  Imagine if that was your daughter who someone decided to commit adultery with?

Most people in the world live in mediated realities thinking that what they see on TV is real.  If this is what the brother meant by Dajjalic, ie. giving people false hopes in a fantasy world, then I can see where he is coming from.  I don't think you should make fun of him.

May Allah protect us and our youth from all forms of Fitnah, and guide our sisters to have ghirah for their religion.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Siham
Sis

Ahla Haya

« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2008 05:55 PM »

Why did Noor leave him, especially if they recently had a baby together

Well, Noor is pretty chill ... but Mohanad is a hand full lol

So, lately Mohanad was spending a lot of time with his ex Nihal ... cos they too, have a child together and mainly because she's getting married to someone else and he apparently doesn't approve of it ... I really don't know whether its jealous or the fact that he doesn't want anyone coming between him and his son or taking his place etc.

Anyhow one night he didn't even come home at all, basically it was no call, no show kind of thing  Shocked

"...Surely my prayer and my sacrifice, my life and my death are for Allah, the Lord of the Worlds..." (Qur'an, 6:162)
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2008 11:00 AM »

salam

Oh dear! Well there you go, a woman who takes no crap.

This isn't promoting relations outside of wedlock is it, it shows the bad side of it, ie Mohanad is torn between his family and wanting to be a part of his sons life. Very pertinent I think .

Wassalaaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2008 02:42 PM »

salam

OK guys, some explanations which I heard from other people. I don't watch the show myself but was once at a woman's place for a hair appointment and the show was on,  and she explained that pretty boy Muhannad  used to be married to Nihal long time ago, there was a car accident and she was badly hurt in the crash, somehow he thought that she died in the crash, but she survived and found that she was pregnant.  Of course she might have had amnesia for some time and did not know how to contact him.  Nihal had the baby and lived a lone for some time.  Thinking that she was dead, Muhannad  married Noor years after the accident (goes to show you how loyal men are!!) but then few years later found out that Nihal was still alive with his son.  So this is the gist of the whole show.  A typical soap opera.  This is like season 4 or 5 of this show. 

Disclaimers:  I don't watch the show , and don't find Muhannad the least bit pretty.

wassalam
Siham
Sis

Ahla Haya

« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2008 05:33 PM »

Disclaimers:  I don't watch the show , and don't find Muhannad the least bit pretty.

!LOL! Well, he's not my type (i.e, skinny, blond & blue eyed) but I do find him good-looking.

UN
« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2008 06:05 AM »

At how many places in Quran does Allah speak of Hell but does not mention Paradise alongwith?

Concentrating only on Hell and forgetting Paradise OR Thinkng only about Paradise and forgettign Hell are both from Shaitan.

Its great to fear Hell and Dajjal, but only fearing wont save you from both. You need to act. Read Quran in Arabic and in the language you understand. Be with some good Jamaat. Get as much knowledge of Hell and Dajjal as possible and spread that to others.

These are my suggestion but they need not be correct ones.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2008 08:19 AM »

You know what, i've never seen 'threatening' ppl with heaven or hell actually work for anything.
How about you post an introduction bro UN?

I used to watch General Hospital on my off days of school in high school. But now who has time to watch that stuff every day!
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2008 10:15 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

The noble Shaykh Na'eem Araqsoosi made the following comments about the "Turkish Soap Opera" during last Friday's Khutbah:

"Lowering the gaze brings the light of Imaan in the heart.  Disgusting programs like the recent Turkish Soap Opera remove the light of Imaan from the heart.  Did anyone reflect on the fact that immediately following the verses of lowering the gaze in Surah Nur, Allah says:  "Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. " Thus lowering one's gaze leads to Allah's Light in one's heart.

Unfortunately, such programs really only reflect the state of our Muslim women.  They are empty spiritually and Imaan-wise, and this program is a reflection of the state of our women.  May Allah guide our women to be honorable, pure, modest, and dignified."

Here is a questions that was recently posed to the Ulema, I hope it serves as a reminder for our sisters (and brothers):

Do you have any advice for young men and women who are indulging in worldly pleasures and who forget to prepare and strive for the Day of Resurrection?.

Praise be to Allaah.   

Our advice to negligent youth is to repent before it is too late and before they come to regret not doing their duty towards Allaah. For death may come suddenly; and Allaah may give respite but no wrongdoer can escape His punishment, and He is Almighty and is the One Who wreaks vengeance. Sin has an effect on the body and soul, and its consequences may come in this world, before the Hereafter. They should remember the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning the six whom Allaah will shade from the heat of the Day of Resurrection in the shade of the Throne: “… and a young man who grew up worshipping Allaah …” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 660; Muslim, 1031. They should feel shy before their Lord and should feel ashamed when the ummah is being attacked by its enemies and needs young people to lead this ummah out of its crisis and to fight the enemy in struggle in obedience to Allaah. They should think of the last verse of the Qur’aan to be revealed, and the last command that Allaah gave to mankind (interpretation of the meaning):

“And fear the Day when you shall be brought back to Allaah. Then every person shall be paid what he earned, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly”
[al-Baqarah 2:281]

And Allaah knows best. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
UN
« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2008 07:20 AM »

At how many places in Quran does Allah speak of Hell but does not mention Paradise alongwith?

Concentrating only on Hell and forgetting Paradise OR Thinkng only about Paradise and forgettign Hell are both from Shaitan.

Its great to fear Hell and Dajjal, but only fearing wont save you from both. You need to act. Read Quran in Arabic and in the language you understand. Be with some good Jamaat. Get as much knowledge of Hell and Dajjal as possible and spread that to others.

These are my suggestion but they need not be correct ones.

Why is this reply of mine here. I posted it againt some other topic by , i think, brother Abdurahman. He was concerned about something there.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2008 01:01 PM »

salam

Or maybe these soap operas have such a big audience precisely because of the men insisting its corrupting women, there's no better propaganda than condemnation by word of mouth!

Because you know, a woman who desires a husband who treats her like a human being with feelings is clearly creating fitna, women really should just lie down at the front door and have the word 'doormat' branded on to their foreheads.

So what if some women unwind by watching soap operas, many women amazingly do have the capacity to distinguish between reality and TV shows.

It's a trend it's a bit of escapism which will inevitably pass, yes ideally it would be fantastic if the average muslim person be they male or female, was in a perpetual state of dhikr, but for the normal regular person that is pretty difficult to maintain.

Mebbe just Mebbe, before condeming something people find fun (without hurting one another) a suitable alternative should be put forwards.

Maybe before condemning women as 'empty spiritually and iman-wise' these self same spiritual and iman filled men, should learn to woo women with beautiful words and be the examples of iman-filled men (they clearly think they are) and lead people to Allah, instead of putting peoples backs up by calling us names and probably chasing the object of their insults further from faith by their harsh words.
Because quite honestly, the second someone starts insulting me I stop listening as the person is clearly not worth my time.

And who is collecting this data on the audience this show is attracting, I find it a tad far fetched that the only audience this show enjoys is of the female variety! This is a non argument, good oh get mired in hurling insults at one another so we get nowhere in this life or the hereafter.

Wassalaam

Siham
Sis

Ahla Haya

« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2008 04:15 PM »

as-Salaamu `alaykum,

Perhaps we should move this thread to Sisters-Only board ...

bebzi

Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #20 on: Aug 06, 2008 12:09 AM »

As salaamu alaikum

I'm just "tuning in" to this post (been busy with work) and just read about this soap on Belief Net.  Seems it has been creating controversy rather than focusing on the positives that it does reflect.  (okay saying this without having actually ever seen an episode).  But again if the show is reflecting a healthy balanced look at how life among Muslims should be and also reflecting the human side of Muslims; then the problem is what exactly?  The real-life example that was set for us  - Rasoolullah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and his interactions with and treatment of his wives certainly does reflect that he did not treat them like "doormats" (nor does it seem they would have accepted such) then how on earth did the ummah transform into such where it is accepted practice to treat women as "doormats" not worthy of education nor affection?  Yes there are exceptions to this mindset but they seem to be quite rare.

Do we live in a world where women can have all the rights that Allah has granted us in addition to fulfilling the obligations imposed upon them?  I would hope so but when people are permitted to control and direct how things go it appears that we live in a world where only a woman's obligations are known.   Do we live in a world where men  can fulfill all of their obligations in addition to the rights that Allah granted them?  I'm not so sure because it seems that the rights have taken precedence over the obligations.  We are taught that balance is the key to everything and that without balance problems occur; that can be said about everything - including marriage.

What kind of example are we setting for the next generation if they believe that men are superior and women inferior?  That men are the "be all and end all" and women are "pretty much nothing"?  We cannot teach boys that they are 'kings on thrones" nor can we teach our girls that they are "servants to that king".  It is important that they see balance; they see equity; they see compassion; they see positive nurturing interaction; they see and feel genuine happiness.  They will not see nor feel these things if we continue on a path that shows nothing but negativity and poor treatment and shun the positive because someone else said that it's a bad thing.

I find it amazing how a television program can "cause" divorces; there must have been some real problems that existed and so the show was used as the "excuse".

Fa'izah

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #21 on: Aug 07, 2008 05:37 AM »

salaam

I dont think we should move this to sisters only board, I think this is a very good discussion to have since future imams' should definately know how a woman feels, it will help him deal with his future proffesion which nowadays includes counceling. 

how do you guys understand this show if its in arabic?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: