Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "I think the danger for people with an absolutist interpretation of scripture is that they are blinded as opposed to guided by the light of God!"- Shaykh Hamza Yusuf
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bad fear  (Read 2350 times)
Anonymous
« on: Aug 02, 2008 11:38 AM »

I've been reading and learning about death, judgement day and the hereafter. I thought I had the best intentiones like to be reminded of the limited time I have in the dunya.

Anyway, I've actually gotten really scared in an unhealthy way. I can't eat, can't sleep, can't study. I don't feel like doing anything.  I'm having nightmares and I wake up in a cold sweat.  I don't sleep in my room anymore, and instead wait for everyone to fall asleep so that I can sleep in the living room, which seems safer. 

I don't know how to get away from the negativity of what I've learned in recent days. I always knew about the Dajjal and stuff, but after I read through details, my mind starts to wander and I think about him like who he is, where he was born, who is family is, whether any of the Prophets sent him the message of Islam.

I don't really want to know the answers because it makes me sick, but at the same time I can't think about what I'm supposed to be thinking about like how to become a better muslim.

Like I don't feel I'm putting my fear in the right place and I feel like obsessed with all of this. Like before I could watch tv, but now I turn it on and feel that everyone on there is going to hell, and I might too because I'm watching.  It's really bad to feel so strict on the inside. 

Is there anything I cna do to turn this into positive? Can everyone make dua for me. 
Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2008 03:36 PM »

salam

Try to read and maybe listen to lectures about Jannah and the rewards of being righteous, following islam, and doing good deeds.  Hopefully this will balance out your fear of punishment.  And make dua for your self too .

take care
wassalam

um aboodi
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2008 05:32 PM »

Asalamulaikum

When reality strikes it is not abnormal to feel that way.  The reality of life and end is that it is not always pleasant.  Pray to Allah swt to put peace in your heart and inshAllah the feeling will go away.  We will pray for you also. 
Do alot of zikr and pray the four kuls and aytal kursi and read alot of Qur'an.  Specially surah Bakarah and surah yasin.
Dont be so hard on yourself, try to be and do the best you can.. Remember Allah swt knows what in the heart

take care,
your sis
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2008 09:32 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah,

The scholars say that a person should not hold a bad opinion about Allah, Most Merciful, ie. rather he should have a good opinion of Allah, and that he should hope for Allah's mercy and seek of His Bounty.  The scholars say:

Having good opinion of Allah is from the essentials of Tawheed (Monotheism), which many people have become heedless of. It is from the attributes of a Believer, in fact it is from the obligations of Tawheed. Having good opinion of Allah Most High is built upon your knowledge of His Mercy, His Pride, His Goodness, His Power, His Knowledge, His superiority of selection as well as your complete reliance upon Him. So if all of these conditions are fulfilled, good opinion of Allah will come to fruition in the heart.

For in the Qudsi Hadith, which was narrated by Abu Hurairah, Allah Most High says:

“I am as my slave thinks of me and I am with him whenever he remembers me.” (Agreed Upon).

In another hadeeth recorded by Muslim, Jaabir narrates that he heard the Prophet (saws) three days before his death as saying:

“Let none of you die without having a good opinion of Allah High and Mighty.”

Maybe it is these visions and sights of Muslim defeats and misery and agony from East to West that has brought these individuals to gain such a negative perception of Allah. Once one issue of misery or agony is resolved, another is ignited somewhere else to such a degree that they can no longer envision a resolution or an escape from such a routine.

They then forget the reasons and the causes of victory and triumph, and increase their awareness and their dread towards the so-called ever-increasing power and might of the enemy, fully forgetting the might and glory of Allah in return.

To those people we say: This is obviously a clear negative perception towards Allah, and they are perceptions that contradict the completeness of Allah, His Majesty, Glory, His Descriptions and Wisdom. For His Mercy, and Wisdom, and God-ship refuse from such a thing to occur. It also refuses that His people and His soldiers to be disgraced, and that constant victory and triumph to be for His polytheist enemies. He who perceives such things about Allah truly does not know the true powers of Allah, nor His Names, Attributes, and complete perfection.

If those people perceive that Allah will not give victory to his Laws and His religion, and that Allah has written defeat to be upon the Muslims forever, and that there is no breaking out of that, then why did Allah send down the Book? Why did He send down the Prophets? Why did he decree the Religion? Why did he make Islam more powerful and above all other religions? Why did he abrogate all other teachings and methods, all other religions and ways of life with the bringing of Islam if He never meant to give it victory?

That is why Allah says:

“If anyone thinks that Allah will not help Muhammad in this world and the hearafter, let them stretch out a rope to the ceiling and cut themselves off, then let them see whether their plan will remove that which enrages them.” [Al-Hajj: 15]

In other words, the scholars have explained this verse that whomever thinks that Allah will not give victory to Muhammad in this life and in the hereafter, then let them hang themselves from their ceilings if that is frustrating them. For sure Allah is going to give victory to His Prophet for sure, as He has said:

“We surely will give aid to our Prophets and those who believed in this world and on the day when the witnesses will stand forth. The Day when the oppressors’ excuses will be of no benefit to them, to them is the curse, and to them is the worst of dwellings.” [Ghaafir: 51-52]

Allah also says:

“And We have sent down Our words to Our slaves that We have sent, they are surely to be aided, and that Our soldiers are surely to be victorious.” [Assaafaat: 171-173]

And Allah also says:

“Those who oppose Allah and His Prophets, they will be in disgrace. Allah has written My Prophets and I will be victorious.” [Al-Mujaadalah: 20-21]

So, if the causes of victory have been achieved, then Allah will definitely give victory to those who have achieved it, but if they are defeated, they are only defeated due to them, failing to achieve the causes of victory.

This nation learns and is taught by what Allah decrees upon it, and the Prophet has taught us from his Sunnah how he aids his Lord and his Lord aids him.

Allah has said:

“Oh you who believe, if you give aid to Allah, Allah will aid you and strengthen your foothold.” [Muhammad: 7]

He also said:

“If Allah was to give you aid, there will be no victor over you, but if He was to not, then who will ever give you aid after Him? On Allah let the believers rely.” [Aal-Imraan:160]

Allah does that which He wishes to do, and He has written down destiny and what He decrees before He created the heaves and the earth by 50,000 years. Therefore, whatever happens on this planet is written with Him. Allah knows and you know not.

Some Muslims might think something is evil when it could be good, that is because of the shortness of their vision and inability to see the unseen.

Allah said:

“And Allah was never to allow you to see the unseen.” [Aal-Imraan: 179]

And He Most High said:

“Do not think it is bad for you; rather, it is beneficial for you.” [An-Noor: 11]

All of this falls back onto the greatest basis:

“Allah will not change the condition of a nation until they change what is within themselves.”

[Ar-ra’ad: 11]

For this, we surely have to be confident in Allah, and that Allah's power is with Him, and nothing happens without His authority, and nothing occurs except according to His plans and way, and Muslims should be more optimistic of their lord. They should be in constant dependency on Him, always seeking his support and aid.

Muslims of other eras, especially eras of weakness, such as our one today, should always be armed with trust and dependency on Allah. Always seeking His aid and support, and that He will aid those who aid Him. If a slave was to seek refuge in Allah, then they surely have sought an awesome stronghold.

Yes, my brethren, a Muslim these days needs a lot of trust in Allah, and renewal of their faith in Him, and great dependency on Him. They should also definitely know, believe, and understand that Allah is capable of anything, and that all issues return back to Allah and to no one else.

Allah has said:

“And to Allah the issues return.” [al-Baqarah: 210]

And that:

“The earth belongs to Allah and He will allow whomever He wills to inherit it.” [Al-A’raaf: 128]

And that He is:

“Severe in punishment.” [Ar-Ra’d: 13]

And that to Allah belongs:

“The soldiers of the heavens and the earth.” [Al-Fath: 7]

And that:

“He is Allah the One, the full controller.” [Az-Zumar: 4]

And that:

"He is the One of great power, the strong.” [Athaariyaat: 58]

And that He is The Possessor of the Kingdom:

“You give the kingdom to whom You will, and You take the kingdom from whom You will, and You endue with honour whom You will, and You humiliate whom You will. In Your Hand is the good. Verily, You are Able to do all things.” [3: 26]

And He exalted and High is the One Who may benefit and the One that may harm. Allah says:

“And if Allah touches you with harm, none can remove it but He, and if He touches you with good, then He is Able to do all things” [6: 17]

This is why when the enemy of Allah attacked the Prophet , Allah destroyed all there plotting. He said:

“They were plotting and Allah too was planning, and Allah is the Best of the planners” [8: 30]

End quote.

Make a lot of dhikr of Allah, and keep good companionship, spend time in the Houses of Allah, and sit at the foot of the scholars.  Be very careful not to fall into depression, as this may be the means the Shaitan uses for your misguidance.  Never forget what Allah says in the Quran:

"Oh my servants who have wronged themselves, never despair from the Mercy of Allah, indeed Allah forgives all sins, Indeed he is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2008 01:50 AM »

Assalamu allaikum

Do not read books talking about the hell fire because this what is coming in your head after death before the JANNAH. This doesn’t mean you are deceiving yourself or ignoring what you are suppose to know as muslem .

Do not  also think of what the other wrong doers are doing so that this again reminds you what you are trying to avoid
You said, you can't now but if and When you watch the Tv. Instead of thinking about how they would be punished after death but think of what good things they are doing in the other hand

This reminded me a story of mine when I was very young. Although I don’t like that time but in case it helps inshallah 

What happened to me is,

when I was young I curiously visited a small town and stuck there.  Had only one way ticket and pocket money .whilst I was trying to find a way to go back home  and after several trials  a truck driver agreed he would take me back  free of charge. We had to travel the day next .but sadly his co-driver died of alcohol overdose as the doctor said  .That is the night before

I was shocked and kept thinking of how come suddenly this happened .This incident has set fear in my mind from death and punishment in the hereafter .I was not in the right way at that time not only me but the whole community .only few Muslems would pray but most of the rest would only fast Ramadan but do not even pray .
I needed to overcome this fear but sadly my age and my knowledge for ISLAM and surrounding where all useless to help and heal  .All I would think of was "HE DIED DRINKING?" " means hellfire "?  etc. but no where I can take  advice .Although as I said ,not been perfect full  muslem  but I had the fear inside to hear about hellfire and this would increase my problem

But again suddenly I think  because I tried to avoid listening about the hellfire I could gradually  get rid of that fear

I hope you will be fine inshallah

Anonymous
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2008 12:30 AM »

I too suggest listening to something soothing (Quran recitation comes to mind) especially before going to sleep and if possible keep it playing even after you close your eyes; I set my cd player to "repeat" so although it keeps repeating the same section it does keep playing all night.  The difference I experience in the entire house is amazing.

Even as an adult sometimes I wake up in those "panic attacks" modes and the only thing that helps me go back to sleep is reciting Surah Fatihah repeatedly (okay in may case saying it since I'm no where near mastering recitation).  On occassion I've actually woken up still saying it; have no idea if I was saying it in my sleep but all I do know is that my sleep was relaxed and panic free and that's all that matters.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: