// The Olympics Thread
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "I think we need a Muslim stillness rather than a Muslim movement"-Shaykh Hamza Yusuf
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Olympics Thread  (Read 3845 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Aug 09, 2008 05:13 AM »

So we watched the opening ceremonies a bit. Was fun. But missed the spectacular artistic beginning part. Saw tons of countries walking by. Sudanese men all in their thobes and turbans looked amazing. The stupid commentators kept making remarks like "oh Saudi Arabia didn't allow any women and in that country women can't even drive!" or "This is the first time Afghanistan has allowed women" and "I didn't even know that was a country John!" blah blah. Their intro to every country was just so xenophobic. Anyway besides that, the end was fabulous!! We'll see how it progresses  tv
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2008 10:13 PM »

More often than not the commentators should really keep quiet or rather keep their commentary to a minimum.  There was one point when Belgium (I believe walked in) and the women were wearing this absolutely hideous suits (white with some kind of abstract burgundy floral design) and matching hats and the commentator had to attempt to cover up his politically incorrect comment and kept making the siutation worse with every word.  I only watched part of the "Parade of Nations" (I mean seriously how much of the walking in a people following a flag can one really stand?)    It was indeed so beautiful to see sisters marching in complete with headcovers knowing that they are not only representing their country but also breaking the stereotypes held about Muslim women being oppressed and unable to actually do anything.   
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2008 06:45 AM »

Watched the opening ceremony online. Fantastic & Spectacular no doubt about it!!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0808_HD_OC_AU_EN198
nuh
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2008 01:08 PM »

Veiled athletes challenge stereotypes in Beijing
By Catherine Bremer

BEIJING (Reuters) - The women in Roqaya Al Ghasara's home town in Bahrain are so proud of their pioneering Olympic sprinter that some of them got together to design and sew a set of tailor-made aerodynamic veils for her to run in.

Egyptian fencer Shaimaa El Gammal, a third-timer at the Olympics, will don Islamic headgear in Beijing for the first time. She says it is a sign she is come of age and she feels more empowered than ever.

This year's Games will see a sizable sprinkling of veiled athletes who are determined to avoid offending devout Muslims back home while showing skimpily dressed rivals there is nothing constricting about wearing "hijab".

(more)

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSPEK28709020080811
AbdulBasir
Bro

Reputation Power: 8
AbdulBasir has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2008 04:37 PM »

subhanallah...amazing, especially the scope, precision and coordination of the human element. People are saying this might be the greatest live artistic expression of all time!

Watched the opening ceremony online. Fantastic & Spectacular no doubt about it!!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0808_HD_OC_AU_EN198

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2008 04:48 PM »

can someone give me their zip code and their TV service provider's name so that i can watch it? 

or is that illegal?

aww Sad
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2008 06:49 PM »

just choose any one? that should work. if you need one try 12206 time warner cable
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2008 09:55 AM »

haha no... it didn't work.

initially, i tried a random one, and then it said "we're sorry, NBC is required to restrict this video to viewers within the United States".  And then it told me I could try again, but that it was "attempt 1 of 3". 

so then i tried yours, and everything worked, but the video has the same message. 

makes sense.  thanks anyway Smiley
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2008 10:45 AM »

ws,

yeah i think it must read where you're coming from. so if it knows you're outside the US you can't watch. i always try to watch stuff from the UK but it never let's me either Sad check youtube you might find it on there!

this one is a good summary but doesn't show all the awesomeness of like the taichi formations and stuff:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5413653604429635330&ei=NF6hSMeTM4SUqQLamLjWBg&q=olympics+opening+2008+part&hl=en
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2008 11:24 PM »

nice picture
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2008 03:30 AM »

salaam

I only c a blank video:( nothing is showing?

yah I heard it was amazing this time and one of the best.. i wanna c!

this gray is tooo weird . i want the old madina bak!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: