Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pregnancy fasts?  (Read 1811 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reps: 224

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: Aug 12, 2008 11:04 AM »

Salaam alaikum.

I know it is not compulsary to fast if one is pregnant, but have any of you tried?  Is it medically unadvisable?  I also have not made up my missed fasts from last year until now.  I usually make them up in Rajab, but I was going through horrendous nausea at the time.  I feel extremely guilty about that, but insha'Allah I plan on making them up as soon as possible.

Also, my mother said one does not have to fast when one is breast feeding.  This may be my case next year during Ramadan.  That may mean I have to redo A LOT of fasts in 2010.

Any advice for what is about to come?

Jazakallahu Khairun.

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1248

« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2008 12:25 PM »

salam

I fasted 29 fasts when expecting my eldest, I had to miss one as I got a migrane!

I was OKed by the doctor before I even considered it, and I was not at all nauseous to begin with, so was very happy to give it a go.

Had I felt ill at any point I would have stopped and made them up at a later date, because we are allowed to do so.

If you feel up to it, and have a clean bill of health give it a try, if you're fine then do it, if it makes you ill stop immediately and make them up later.

Not eating regularly can trigger morning sickness in some women.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

um aboodi
Sis

Reps: 268

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2008 03:09 AM »

salam

Try it out and see.  There is no danger of fasting if you are having a normal pregnancy.  Check with your doctor.  My doctor explained that I should eat a meal at suhoor time, and there would be no immediate danger on the baby.  I was almost 8 months pregnant.  The way it works is that the baby takes what she needs from mommy, and then the mom's body has to make do with what's left.   

If you are past the first trimester, then you are probably past the nausea and morning sickness and you may be able to tolerate it.  The best way to find out is to try. 

Islamically speaking,  fasting is prescribed on pregnant women unless it poses an unbearable burden on them or endangers their health or the baby's health.

Allah knows best.

take care

tq
Sis

Reps: 189

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2008 02:15 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
I agree with Umaboodi, try it and see how it goes.
Out of 3 of my pregnancies, I fasted two. Also all three time while I was nursing I fasted. So it actually depends on your condition.

Wasalam
tq

Eleanor
Sis

Reps: 81

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2008 12:24 PM »

I have missed the last 4 Ramadans due to pregnancy and/or breastfeeding. I get really ill if I do not eat by about 11am... up to about 11am I am "just" cranky. I tried each Ramadan for a couple of days to see if eating a big Suhoor would help but it didn't. So I am doomed to make up months and months of fasts whenever I finally get my body back to myself.  Undecided
Hubby was unhappy that I even tried to fast. He was adamant that my health and child's health comes first.  :'(

My advice is also to try it and see how it goes. I don't think the baby will come to any harm, insha Allah. Take loads of fluids just before fasting and immediately on breaking fast.

wired-up
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2008 09:08 AM »

Salam Sis,

Alhamdulillah I managed to fast when i was in my 7 th month after the doctor said it was fine for me .I tried to eat a good suhoor and iftar .Sometimes i'd feel really weak so i'd just lie down and not exert myself too much .

Now breastfeeding made me miss fasts  because that requires you to take fluids regularly .

I just had a huge... ahem ...."debate" with my neighbour how it is ok to miss fasting because of pregnancy and breastfeeding .She just stuck to YOu HAVE to fast while Breastfeeding no matter what ....ARGH ...I dont think i convinced her its ok missing fasts and she didn't convince me otherwise...

which reminds me ...how its better to talk less in this blessed month than get into these useles" trying to prove my  point situations".

Eleanor I know exactly what you mean ....I'm kinda of the same way too ..and my husband too was uspet when i tried to fast  while expecting ...but Alhamdulillah when he saw i was doing fine he was fine with it .

Salam

bluelake
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2008 04:55 PM »

As-salam-ualakum.  Jazak Allah Khair for the great post, this is exactly what I have been wondering too! Huh?

Alhumdulillah I am overjoyed to be pregnant.    pinkhijabisis I just found out and I am in the first trimester.  I am having a very hard time deciding whether or not to fast.  Of course I don't want to miss out the joy and amazing benefits of Ramadan, but I also don't want to harm our baby.  I was doing some practice fasts before Ramadan before I knew I was pregnant (like 4 weeks) and I was fine, other than getting really really hungry of course  Cheesy . 

I have talked to my doctor (she is not muslim) and she recommended against fasting right now in principal.  My sister is a nurse and she also mentioned the risk of dehydration that may be harmful for the baby.  My husband has advised against fasting and we are feeding the needy to make up for my fasts.  However, I still feel like I don't want to miss Ramadan.

Alhumdulilah I am having an easy pregnancy but I don't want to unknowingly hurt our baby.   But I would greatly appreciate any advice, especially from sisters who have been through this as to how they made their decision and alternatives to benefitting the most from Ramadan.  Jazak Allah Khair!

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1248

« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2008 08:25 PM »

salam

As I said before I did fast during my very first pregnancy.

My doctor had given me a clean bill of health, so I tentatively did fast, during my first fast I was quite ready to break the it if I felt ill at all. Alhumdulillah I was fine except for one of the last fasts when I had a migrane so I didnt keep fast that day.

Bluelake, if you decide not to fast you make them up later once the baby is born and you feel up to it, like we do when we have to skip fasts during menses.

If you decide you can easily engage in other forms of Ibadah during Ramadan, you could probably complete the recitation of the quran quite a few times, pray extra salats etc.

Btw Congratulations on your pregnancies flowersis

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: