Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 17, 2014 05:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: The dhulan doth protest too much.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sisters in the work force..  (Read 1620 times)
LeylaNur
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
LeylaNur has no influence :(

Remembrance of Allah is the true source of peace..

« on: Aug 14, 2008 08:10 PM »

To all you sisters in the workforce.. What do you do for money? (stay at home momma's or housewives have 'jobs' too, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm speaking more to those who work outside the home)

I need to go out there and look for a job very, very soon. I am also trying to find a job while wearing hijab. This shouldn't be difficult, but it often IS. People worry about the image it presents, and sometimes they just think that covered women are less competent, will make all kinds of demands, and also that the modest style of dress is too 'frumpy' (with jilbabs or abayas with khimars), or 'fussy' (with all the layers in the more modern looks)..

So, have you faced discrimination in the hiring market? What kind of jobs are best for someone with say, a bachelor's degree in business (so vague - wish I had become a doctor!), or just a general degree? What styles would you recommend for work in the 'secular world' and what would you wear to an interview?

Any tips? Thoughts? Experiences?

All are appreciated!

~ Leyla Nur purplehijabisis

I try to remember to count my blessings each day because I have many:

To be thankful for my health, and that of my loved ones, the presence of my husband and the continuation of our marriage, that we can pay our bills and have food on the table..

So many blessings but often, so little thanks!
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2008 10:46 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

Guess I'll be among the first to reply.  You ask: "What do we do for money?"  I work as an Affirmative Action Administrator.  So the function of my office is to uphold the rights of all employees to a workplace free of discrimination or harassment.  Considering that it still occurs even in subtle forms I guess I (nor my co-workers) won't soon be out of jobs.  Even in my capacity I find that sometimes eyebrows are raised whenever I'm in the room but people do tend to watch their words whenever I'm around Smiley 

I've managed to find jilbabs (both 1 and 2 piece options) that have the more "professional"  suit (pants or skirt) or dress" look so I more often than not tend to blend (except for the covered hair of course) and in fact have found that some people have toned down their attire (less visible cleavage and leg).  Even on interviews I will wear similar since again it gives that "professional" image and I stick to the "interview colors" - black/blue most of the time but have been known to opt for lighter colors.  [I was a bit down when Alhediya closed down in May but I just got an e-mail from them announcing that the are back in business after so many customers contacted them asking them to reconsider closing.  The prices are reasonable and all garments can be customized so the fit is much better.]

I wouldn't so much focus on what kinds of jobs can be gotten with a particuar degree but rather focus on those jobs that match your skill set and your interests.  For those of us that have to work outside the home it doesn't have to be solely about the money because if you don't like what you are doing you won't give it your "all" but rather will just go through the motions and get the task done.  Although my job can be stressful and challenging it is also exciting because its never mundane and we also get to educate the workforce to increase awareness and sensitivity with the ultimate objective to be decreasing the number of incidents of discrimination or harassment. 

Hope this helps.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah

LeylaNur
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
LeylaNur has no influence :(

Remembrance of Allah is the true source of peace..

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2008 01:25 AM »

I have been executive assistant and office manager for most of my short career.. I have about 8 years experience in this field, but I don't really feel that it's right for me. I would definitely prefer something a lot more creative where my particular skill set could be utilized, but it's hard changing fields with no experience. I don't really even know what I would do..

However, for the things I do have experience in (but really don't enjoy too much), they place a lot of emphasis on appearance since they always say 'you're oftentimes the first impression people have of the company', or they want me to go with them to functions in order to represent the business.

Inshallah, I'd like to find a more 'diversity friendly' field of work as even though I am a Caucasian female, being Muslim seems to automatically make me a minority. I've had issues with discrimination on the job before though, due to my weight (I'd see newer, more 'presentable' people with less experience get promoted even though I'm not HUGE, I'm a 16), and also due to my last name with people thinking I'm African American and/or foreign. (magically when I changed mine and my husbands last names on our resumes to my maiden name we got a lot more responses!)

It's a sad, sad world out there where your appearance, be it your weight or a piece of material on your head.. But, I guess that's the way the world goes round. Hard not to be cynical! Inshallah, I'll find something soon or I may just have to go into business myself!

I try to remember to count my blessings each day because I have many:

To be thankful for my health, and that of my loved ones, the presence of my husband and the continuation of our marriage, that we can pay our bills and have food on the table..

So many blessings but often, so little thanks!
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2008 03:08 PM »

salam

I'm an accountant.

My current job has a very relaxed dress code, but I like to dress smartly anyway. I've always found wearing suits and hijaab has always been acceptable. Otherwise I tend to wear a lotf outfits from Shukr, I love their long dresses.......

I have to confess I am cocky as hell, but I get away with it because alhumdulillah I do what I do very well, and I always remain utterly polite, it takes nothing to be civil towards others, I cannot abide rudeness in people in general, and always insure I treat others as I would want them to treat me, this works very well in my opinion.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: