// Review of Lost In Austen
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Allah does not open the heart of a servant if it still contains three things: loving to remain [in the world], love of wealth, and concern about tomorrow." - Sahl Al-Tustari
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review of Lost In Austen  (Read 6322 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Aug 22, 2008 06:47 AM »

This could be absolutely horrible...or very interesting  princesssis -- J.

==============================

Starring: Jemima Rooper, Alex Kingston, Lindsay Duncan, Hugh Bonneville and Elliot Cowan

If only Amanda Price’s life was as exciting and romantic as the novels she reads. Poor Amanda is fed up with her life in London and losing patience with her boyfriend.

She may be a thoroughly modern girl but she longs for a man who can spark the fires that lie within. One day she is alone in her flat, reading a book. She hears a noise in the bathroom.

From that moment on her life will never be the same. Before she knows what has happened she has travelled back in time over 200 years. Jemima Rooper stars as the beautiful modern day heroine who enters the world of Lizzie Bennet and her family, the famous characters from Pride and Prejudice.

Realising she’s joined the action at the very start of the classic novel, she gets to know the remaining Bennet sisters, and prepares to meet Mr Darcy (Elliot Cowan).

How will she keep the greatest love story of all time on track when Elizabeth Bennet is stuck in the modern world?

The ‘true’ story is in danger of being thrown off track by her presence. Because Amanda knows Jane Austen’s book so well she realises that she could ruin literary history for ever.

Playing Mr and Mrs Bennet are Hugh Bonneville and Alex Kingston. Lindsay Duncan is Darcy’s aunt, Lady Catherine de Bourgh; Morven Christie is Jane Bennet, Tom Mison is Mr Bingley, Tom Riley is Captain Wickham, and Christina Cole is Caroline Bingley.

The four part series is written by acclaimed television writer Guy Andrews (Chancer, Prime Suspect, Absolute Power and Lewis).

“Lost in Austen has the high production values of period drama. Its sumptuous period locations, costume, carriages and props are juxtaposed with Amanda Price’s very modern lifestyle. The cleverness of the script will appeal to Austen aficionados and attract a new audience to this beautiful love story,” says ITV Controller of Drama Commissioning Sally Haynes.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2008 08:58 PM »

My review of it now that I've seen it Smiley

It's a truth universally acknowledged that Jane Austen is a very hot commodity at the moment with all the new adaptations and movies out. The latest one is called 'Lost in Austen' and is based on an interesting premise. Imagine you somehow entering your favorite Jane Austen novel and replacing the heroine. How would you live in that world? How would your actions change the story? Is that period all that it's cracked up to be? When the characters become 3-dimensional do we find them the same or learn much more about them?

The Lost in Austen mini-series is in 4 parts over 4 hours and follows a modern day girl, Amanda, who somehow enters the world of Pride and Prejudice. The story is wonderfully charming and laugh out loud funny at times. There is some suspension of belief, after all how do you walk through a door in your bathroom into your favorite novel! And the way the story twists and turns will really disturb every Jane fan but it's good in that it makes you think of the story again in a new light. Overall I thought it was quite witty and funny. If you love Pride and Prejudice you'll love watching this as long as you let yourself go and keep an open mind. Just think of it as something interesting Smiley And then go read the book again to cleanse yourself hehe. 

MAJOR SPOILERS:

There were a few things I didn't like such as the vile portrayal of Collins that was just a little too disgusting. Amanda's 'p... topiary' remark. I mean come on we're Jane Austen fans! We like her because she's refined and not crass, why put that stuff in there.  Amanda kissing Bingley? What the heck? That was just weird and dumb, didn't go with anything. Jane marrying Collins! What a nightmare. I was in disbelief and thought it was a bad dream and she'd snap out of it in a minute. I think they could have made it an 'engagement' and that would be horrifying enough and good enough to change the story without going too far. And I didn't like Darcy calling her an 'abomination'. She's supposed to tell him off and that's how he changes and becomes less arrogant not the other way around!

I loved Amanda and thought she was perfect. I thought all the characters were all perfect for their parts. I even liked the slightly different view of the characters, such as Wickham as good and Mrs. Bennet as strong, Lydia as likeable and playful. I thought Jane should have been shown as prettier but then every adaptation seems to get this wrong. It was well written and there were a lot of funny Pride and Prejudice jokes that you'd only get if you're a fan of the story.

The ending seemed so abrupt, I mean what happens after that? What happens to all the characters? I'm so hoping for a continuation! It seems like they left it open and were waiting to see how people responded to it. I also felt like Wickam knew something we didn't and I thought we'd find out he's from the future too or something. If they weren't going to continue it they should have wrapped up everything so it's right on the page where Jane Austen left off as well. Oh well, in the end I thought Lost in Austen was very interesting and entertaining especially the first and last episodes Smiley

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2008 09:33 PM »

salam

I thought of you when I watched it too.

I thought it was utterly hysterical, especially how Lizzie adapts to the modern world better then Amanda!!!

The reason Jane is never pretty enough, is because as she isn't the main protagonist, a beautiful Jane would take the attention away form the actual heroine. Not so in a novel, but definitely in a film version.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2008 02:44 AM »

The reason Jane is never pretty enough, is because as she isn't the main protagonist, a beautiful Jane would take the attention away form the actual heroine. Not so in a novel, but definitely in a film version.

yes that seems like their reasoning, but there have been tons of films where another character has been more aesthetically beautiful than the main heroine. it doesn't take away from the story or the main heroine. and in the case of p&p it just confuses ppl when the story is based on jane being 'so beautiful' etc and then she's not.

in 'lost in austen' all they would have had to do is fix her hair which was too bushy and all over the place and stop shooting her in profile. she is a very pretty girl and could have been shown as such.

what did u think of their darcy?  Wink
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2008 06:26 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

I finally got the chance to watch the 4th part... for some reason it would freeze every now and then so I think I missed a few scenes, but I don't think I liked the ending very much Sad  I guess it was better than Amanda just waking up and saying 'It was all just a dream!', but I felt like there wasn't enough closure.

Also what the heck, Amanda should have gone back to her own world and married her boyfriend (he seemed like a nice guy) and have left Lizzy to fall in love with Darcy... they were meant for each other!  I know they were trying to do the whole 'what if a modern girl fell in love with Darcy' thing, but all their scenes together just seemed wrong.  I think the actor who played Darcy did a great job, he was much less stiff and more emotive than the actor in the original version, but all his professions of love just seemed off... maybe it has to do with the writing?

I also thought that something would happen with Wickham, they really put a lot of focus on his character but why?  I don't get it...

My favorite parts were when Amanda asks Darcy, 'Can you do something for me?' and in the next scene you see him emerging from the water:D and the whole scene wth Darcy in the modern world was hysterical, 'I have seen this gentleman's likeness', 'I must turn off the appliances' hahaha rotfl

and jannah I totally called the annulment!  I had a feeling that's how they would get poor Jane out of the marriage... I agree that they had unnecessarily crude jokes, there was no need for that, and and mr collins was just disgusting...  loopy

overall it was a trip, like reading jane austen on drugs or something Smiley  It was nice to see different interpretations of the characters too, and I felt that some of the characters in this adaptation were closer to what Jane Austen intended, like Lydia, Bingley, and Darcy too.

peace + bebzi

ps jannah where is that image you posted from?  I don't remember seeing it in the series.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2008 03:17 AM »

wsalaam,

hehe everyone's saying there wasn't enough closure. i really think they kind of left it open for the possibility of a continuation OR since the whole thing was like crazy fantasy anyway they left like little hints and then we were supposed to come up with what happened next like wickham and miss bingley getting together. and to be fair even jane austen left her novel with two main couples married and the rest for us was all speculation.

they shouldn't have made her bf actually likeable towards the end if they were going to do that at the end, but then again the audience has to feel like she could equally choose either.

as for the writing i think they were having a hard time merging jane austenesque dialogue and modern dialogue. they didn't want to go with one or the other so it sounded sorta weird. i think darcy upon second viewing is really well done. he's supposed to be an old world, chivalrous type character, he can't be a modern hero!

what would be awesome is in the continuation seeing everything from elizabeth's point of view in the modern world!

it was definitely worth watching, if only to see bingley punch darcy in the face and finally stand up to him and to see miss bingley gaga over wickham haha

anyways the picture was from the original blog that announced the series, it does look like elizabeth but looks like they never actually used that footage!

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2009 09:49 PM »

This is being shown on US television and now US residents can watch it online finally: http://www.ovationtv.com/ Smiley
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2009 06:09 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

This may be of interest to a few people I assume....

Mendes makes Lost in Austen film 

18th century Elizabeth Bennett ends up in a modern reader's flat
ITV's hit drama Lost in Austen is to be remade for the big screen with Oscar-winner Sam Mendes producing.

The time-travelling miniseries followed Amanda, a modern day fan of Jane Austen, who swapped places with her favourite character from the books.

The original writer, Guy Andrews, has signed to pen the screenplay but the film's cast has not been confirmed.

Jemima Rooper starred in ITV's version as Amanda with Gemma Arterton taking the role of Austen's Elizabeth Bennett.

Since the broadcast of the television series, Arterton has made a mark on Hollywood with roles in the Bond film Quantum of Solace and Prince of Persia opposite Jake Gyllenhaal.

The company behind Quantum of Solace, Sony Pictures will be making the film version of Lost in Austen but a director is yet to be announced.

Mendes' latest work Revolutionary Road, starring wife Kate Winslet, is currently nominated for three Academy Awards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7887996.stm

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2009 08:20 PM »

LOL, thanks for that bro... weird that they want to make a movie when they already have an entertaining 4 hour miniseries...but I'm never one to decline more jane austen Smiley

ws
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: