// Saudi ban on woman drivers may be eroding
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Intelligence is the shadow of objective truth. How can the shadow vie with sunshine? - Jalaluddin al-Rumi
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saudi ban on woman drivers may be eroding  (Read 876 times)
nuh
« on: Aug 22, 2008 11:41 AM »

By DONNA ABU-NASR

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — When Ruwaida al-Habis' father and two brothers were badly burned in a fire, she had no choice but to break Saudi Arabia's ban on women drivers to get them to a clinic.

Using the driving skills her father taught her on the family farm, al-Habis managed to reach the clinic's emergency entrance without a hitch.

"When I pulled up, a crowd of people surrounded the car and stared as if they were seeing extraterrestrial beings," the 20-year-old university student told The Associated Press. "Instead of focusing on the burn victims, the nurses kept repeating, 'You drove them here?'"

Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world that bans all women — Saudi and foreign — from driving. The prohibition forces families to hire live-in drivers, and women who cannot afford the $300-$400 a month for a driver must rely on male relatives to drive them to work, school, shopping or the doctor.

But there are signs support for the ban is eroding.

Al-Habis' story was first published in one of the biggest Saudi...

(more)

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gO4-a84x_lsrE5bdCRX7ibMWm7kQD92MR4R80
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2008 09:33 PM »

Asalamualaikum

The ban is just very annoying.

Didnt the sahaba women ride camels ect?!

yes statistics show that women get into more accidents than men but it also shows that men get into the worse accidents (where death is involved) so shouldnt men be the gender that is banned from driving?;-)
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2008 07:28 AM »

i hear it'll start off as timing-based. women can only drive from 9-12 or something (when all the men are at work, and traffic is low).  mall hours, basically.

all i can really say is  woohoo

it's incredibly difficult to get anything done otherwise.  we do our grocery shopping after isha... it is a very draining process at that hour.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2008 12:29 PM »

salam

Well finally, it was bound to happen. Ex wouldnt let me drive so I'd do the only sensible thing, instead of bundling up two tiny children and trekking miles to get a pint of milk I'd ask him to pick up groceries and stuff as he came home from work....in the end he was begging me to get my license.

It makes no sense not to allow women to drive, unless the aim of the ban is to make everyones life miserable all round.

Oh and I've read statistics which state that women are safer drivers....go figure!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2008 02:54 PM »

What always bothers me is that the emphasis is always on Saudi not permitting women to drive as if this is yet another example of female oppression in Islam while at the same time people generally ignore the fact that is many ultra orthodox Jewish communities (including those in the US) women are also banned from driving which proves that it's not just Muslim women who are subjected to this manner of oppression.

Men tend to be more aggressive drivers and prone to taking more risks whereas women tend to be more defensive drivers usually because they are the ones transporting children around and have those additional lives to be concerned about. 

If I had it my way I'd probably not drive because there are too many idiots out there but I also know that I would then have a difficult time doing for my children since there's no one else around to drive for me or get the things needed. 

Fa'izah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: