Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do i have to fast if i'm away for 3 days??  (Read 1354 times)
mujaahid
Bro

Reps: 7

« on: Aug 27, 2008 11:42 AM »

Assalaamu-alaikum

Do i have to fast if i'm away for 3 days?

I will be travelling 4 hours to my destination with my family. We will be away for 3 whole days. Do we need to fast whilst we are away?

I found this on an Islamic website..

=========

(20) Whoever travels to a place and intends to stay there for more than four days must fast, according to the majority of scholars. So if a person travels to study abroad for a period of months or years, then according to the majority of scholars – including the four imaams – he is regarded as one who is “settled” there and so he has to fast and pray his prayers in full.

If a traveller passes through a city other than his own, he does not have to fast, unless his stay there is longer than four days, in which case he must fast, because the rulings that apply to those who are settled apply also to him. (See Fataawa al-Da’wah by Ibn Baaz, 977).

========

blackrose
Sis

Reps: 31

« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2008 02:50 PM »

salaam

but wont you have to give food to the poor instead or make it up? The reality is that traveling is not what it used to be, (very hard, tought, in camels ect) but I dont know if that makes a difference to the ruling

mujaahid
Bro

Reps: 7

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2008 11:22 AM »

assalaamu-alaikum

I do intend to make up the prayers, i wouldnt be able to afford to feed anyone else for the days missed!

jaazaakullah khair for the reply!

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2785

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2008 07:44 PM »

wsalam,

brother i was just in a ramadan seminar where this topic was discussed. basically it is up to you whether to fast or not fast while traveling. if you feel it is too difficult, you can take the concession (rukhsah) of not fasting while traveling. however, you MUST make up the fasting days of Ramadan that you have missed at a later time, inshaAllah.

(also in your case where time differences and all that come in makes it even more complicated!! so it's ok just make up those days inshaAllah)

ws

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: