Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any signings yet? 2008 hilal  (Read 2624 times)
nuh
« on: Aug 31, 2008 01:35 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

Based on astronomical calculations the new moon should be at about 1%. Has anyone on the dark side of the earth seen anything to confirm this?

nuh
 bro

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2008 01:49 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I think a lot of countries didn't see the moon on Saturday night so a lot will keep the 30 days in Shaban, with Ramadhan starting on Monday for many.

How interesting that the days of Ramadhan will mirror the days in September and that the 9th month of the Islamic year coincides with the 9th month of the Gregorian year.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

nuh
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2008 01:52 PM »

Ramadan 1429

Announcement: The holy fasting month of Ramadan will start Monday, September 1, in most Arab and Gulf countries as well as North America and European countries.

"There was no evidence of any person seeing the new crescent today," Saudi Arabia's Judicial Council confirmed in a statement on Saturday, August 30. Therefore, Sunday, August 31, will be the last day of the month of Sha`ban and Ramadan will fall on Monday, September 1, added the council.

(more)

http://www.moonsighting.com/1429rmd.html

JustOne
Sis

Reps: 172

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2008 01:55 PM »

Can you guys feel the Ramadan vibe?  goodvibes

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2008 02:03 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I'm sure we'd be feeling it a lot more if we were all going to Makkah too Sr JO  Wink

Ramadhan Mubarak to one and all  bro

PS Any seen the user stats recently? I'm sure I saw over 100 people on here a few days back!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

blackrose
Sis

Reps: 31

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2008 09:08 PM »

[salaam
This is the message from Zaytuna.org by Hamza Yusuf and Zaid Shakir. Keep checking for updates. ]

Beginning of Ramadan Based on Sighting of New Moon
Zaytuna Institute adheres to the traditional principal that Islamic lunar months begin and end based on the confirmed, verifiable sighting of the new crescent moon. Click here for Zaytuna's Statement Concerning the Determination of Islamic Dates and the Beginning of Ramadan.

Zaytuna Institute encourages everyone to go out to look for the new crescent moon this Sunday night in anticipation of the beginning of the sacred month of Ramadan. However, Muslim astronomers have indicated that it is very unlikely that the new moon will be sightable anywhere in North America on Sunday evening.  We are thus anticipating the sighting of the moon and the start of Ramadan to occur on Monday night with the first day of the fast on Tuesday (Sept. 2), in sha Allah.

The crescent would be visible shortly after sunset, slightly to the left, and above where the sun had set. It is a beautiful experience to sight its emergence, and it is a sunnah of our noble Prophet, sal Allahu alayhi wa salam, that we hope the ummah revives.

Please check the Zaytuna website for regular updates, moon sighting reports, and an additional resources for Ramadan.  We will post our final determination regarding the start of Ramadan on Sunday at 9:00pm PST.  For more info on moon sighting, please visit www.crescentwatch.org.

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2008 05:23 AM »

here is their latest announcement:

RAMADAN TO BEGIN TUESDAY (Monday Evening)

Zaytuna did not receive any reliably confirmed reports of the new crescent moon being sighted in North America on Sunday evening.
We will complete the 30 days of Sha’ban and begin Ramadan Monday evening with the first day of the fast on Tuesday.

For additional information and more on moon sighting, please visit www.crescentwatch.org.

Zaytuna Institute adheres to the traditional principal that Islamic lunar months begin and end based on the confirmed, verifiable sighting of the new crescent moon. Click here for Zaytuna's Statement Concerning the Determination of Islamic Dates and the Beginning of Ramadan.

(well Ramadan Mubarak everyone,, when does yours start??.. Mine will actually be today (sunday evening) because our masjid decided to follow ISNA this yr...
anyone c the moon... ? I kind of wish more masjids would start following zaytuna now

shareislam
Sis

Reps: 2

« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2008 05:28 AM »

Assalamu Alaikum,
We are fasting here in Wichita, KS inshallah.
 happy ramadan

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2778

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2008 05:57 AM »

Looks like anyone following N. American sighting should start fasting on Tuesday as there are no credible reports of moonsighting here tonight.

As for ppl following ISNA, Calculation and/or Saudi they should start Monday tomorrow!! Smiley

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2008 06:19 AM »

salaam.. really good article..

Understanding the Controversies Regarding Moonsighting
http://muslimmatters.org/2007/09/12/understanding-the-controversies-regarding-moonsighting/#more-526

um aboodi
Sis

Reps: 268

« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2008 10:40 AM »

salam

I am fasting on monday insha'Allah. May Allah accept our and your prayers and fasting, ameen.

wassalam

nuh
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2008 01:12 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

We started our fasting this morning. Ramadan Kareem everyone!

nuh
 bro

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2008 02:38 PM »

`Eid Al-Fitr Tuesday, Wednesday,…

By  IOL Staff

Moon sighting has always been a controversial issue.
CAIRO — Though the majority of Muslims worldwide were united in observing the first day of Ramadan on September 1, they are set to be widely divided on its end and the start of `Eid Al-Fitr.

Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam, confirmed on Monday, September 29, the sighting of the Shawwal moon.

Thus, the start of the three-day `Eid Al-Fitr will fall on Tuesday, September 30.

When Is Your `Eid?

`Eid Al-Fitr (Special Page)
Similar announcements have been made by the religious authorities in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Yemen, Jordan, Palestine, Sudan, Somalia,  Djibouti, Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia and Tanzania. 

Afghanistan confirmed following Saudi Arabia in deciding the start of `Eid.

Sunnis in Iraq will start celebrating `Eid Al-Fitr on Tuesday while Shiites will sight the new moon of Shawwal Tuesday.

The majority of Muslims in China will also celebrate `Eid on Tuesday after sighting the new moon.

The holy fasting month of Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, began in most countries on Monday, September 1.

Libya, which began Ramadan on August 31, had earlier announced that Tuesday will be the first day of `Eid.

`Eid falls Tuesday in Turkey, Bulgaria, Kosovo, Macedonia, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia, Russia, Hungary  and Kazakhstan.

"There is coordination between the Euro-Asian Muslim Committee which groups Balkan countries and is headed by Turkish Fatwa House to determine religious holidays," said Naeem Trafana, the head of the Islamic Sheikhdom in Kosovo.

"We confirm Monday as the end of Ramadan and Tuesday as the first day of `Eid Al-Fitr."

The Federation of Social Organizations in Ukraine (Arraid) decided to follow Turkey in celebrating `Eid on Tuesday.

The Islamic Wakf of Scandinavia in Denmark announced Tuesday as the first day of `Eid, following Saudi Arabia.

Several Muslim organizations in different German cities have agreed on Tuesday as the beginning of the three-day `Eid Al-Fitr.

The Central Mosque in London announced Monday that British Muslims will celebrate `Eid Al-Fitr as of Tuesday.

The Islamic Center in Milan said the first day of `Eid Al-Fitr falls on Tuesday. 

The Islamic Council in Parana said Muslims in Brazil will celebrate `Eid on Tuesday following Saudi Arabia.

Muslims in northern Nigeria celebrated `Eid Monday after Sultan of Sokoto and President General of the Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, Alhaji Muhammadu Sa'ad, confirmed Sunday as the last day of Ramadan based on the sighting of the Shawwal moon.

Muslims in south Nigeria, however, are still fasting Ramadan and would celebrate `Eid on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Wednesday

The Indonesian government announced Monday that ` Eid would begin Wednesday, as the teams deployed to nine areas across the country did not sight the new moon.

"Syawal will begin on Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2008," Religious Affairs Minister Maftuh Basyuni said after presiding over a meeting to determine the date for ` Eid.

Nahdlatul Ulama (NU) and Muhammadiyah, the country's two largest Muslim organizations, have agreed on the start of ` Eid on Wednesday.

Egyptian Grand Mufti Ali Gomaa announced that the Shawwal moon has not been sighted any where across the country.

"The first day of Eid Al-Fitr will therefore be celebrated on Wednesday," he said in a televised address to the nation.

The religious authorities in Syria, Tunisia and Algeria made similar announcements.

South African scholars were not ale to sight the Shawwal moon Monday and confirmed that Wednesday will be the start of ` Eid.

The Republic of Maldives, an Asian island nation, announced Wednesday as first day of `Eid Al-Fitr.

Several Islamic centers in the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand said `Eid will be celebrated Wednesday.

The Islamic Center of Canberra announced on its website that Australian Muslims will celebrate `Eid on Wednesday.

The Fiqh Council of North America and the European Council for Fatwa and Research (ECFR) have announced the start of `Eid Al-Fitr on October 1 based on astronomical calculations.

The European Assembly of Imams and Spiritual Guides said "undisputable" scientific evidence "prove beyond doubt" that the new moon can not be sighted Monday.

"Thus, Tuesday is the last day of Ramadan and Wednesday will be the start of Shawwal and `Eid el-Fitr," the UK-based body said in a statement mailed to IslamOnline.net.

The mufti of Poland said Muslims will abide by the ECFR's announcement.

Muslim organizations in Sweden, Finland, Norway and Iceland have also decided the same.

In the Netherlands, the imams society confirmed Wednesday as the start of `Eid Al-Fitr, though the Turkish community decided to follow Ankara and start `Eid a day earlier.

The Council of the Muslim Faith in France announced Monday that `Eid el-Fitr will be observed as of Wednesday.

A similar announcement was made by the Islamic Council in Madrid.

Still Sighting

Countries such as Morocco, Iran, Oman, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh and India will sight the moon Tuesday.

Shiites in Lebanon and Iraq will also sight the Shawwal moon Tuesday.

For those sighting the new moon on Tuesday, `Eid Al-Fitr will fall on either Wednesday or Thursday.

Moon sighting has always been a controversial issue among Muslim countries, and even scholars seem at odds over the issue.

One group says that Muslims everywhere should abide by the lunar calendar of Saudi Arabia.

A second, however, believes that the authority in charge of ascertaining the sighting of the moon in a given country (such as Egypt's Dar al-Iftaa [House of Fatwa]) announces the sighting of the new moon, then Muslims in the country should all abide by this.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1221720413720&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: