Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How ill is ill enough to break fast?  (Read 7191 times)
LeylaNur
Sis

Reps: 1

Remembrance of Allah is the true source of peace..

« on: Sep 01, 2008 09:22 PM »

As'salaam aleikum and Ramazan mubarak!

I'm sure many of us know the exemptions on fasting for those who are ill, pregnant, etc..

I'd just like to get a reminder on exactly WHO is exempt?

My OTHER question is - the exemption for those who are ill.. Just how ill is ill enough? Do you have to be dying or in serious medical crises? What about serious amounts of pain? I mean, when is the halal point when you can say "I'm too ill to fast today" but not have it count against you as voluntarily breaking the fast?

One example would be: It's 102 degrees outside and very dry, you are sweating and feel dizzy because you think you are getting dehydrated. You think you might faint. Should you just lay down and try to continue to fast or should you break your fast with food and water to feel better?

Another example would be: You are a healthy adult but for some reason today you get a terrible migraine or terrible menstrual cramps where you can't move around too much and you feel really sick and in pain. You are not in danger of dying and if you just waited it out, you could survive, albeit suffering. Would it be okay to break your fast and take some medicine and eat and drink or would it be voluntarily missing the fast and thus non-exempt?

What about just if you are feeling sick with vomiting or diarrhea?

What if you just feel really hungry, really, really hungry and you feel sick and can't make it?

I would just like to understand at what point is breaking the fast due to illness or discomfort acceptable?

Jazakallah khairun for any and all responses!  Grin

I try to remember to count my blessings each day because I have many:

To be thankful for my health, and that of my loved ones, the presence of my husband and the continuation of our marriage, that we can pay our bills and have food on the table..

So many blessings but often, so little thanks!

um aboodi
Sis

Reps: 268

« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2008 11:32 PM »

salam

I think you would be better off directing your question to a qualified scholar.  There is a whole fiqh on fasting, and I am not sure you will find a scholarly answer here. 

Personally, I once had to break my fast when I had a very bad cold and had to drink lots of hot fluids to manage my symptoms, but then I had to make up for that missed day.

Just as a note though, menstruation obviates fasting.

take care
wassalam 

LeylaNur
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2008 01:27 AM »

Many times though, menstrual cramps occur before the menstruation actually starts, so I think the individual would still have to fast at that time..

I'm just very confused as to what is sick enough..

Alhamdulillah, I am not ill, simply curious in case I become ill whilst fasting.

purplehijabisis

To be thankful for my health, and that of my loved ones, the presence of my husband and the continuation of our marriage, that we can pay our bills and have food on the table..

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1249

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2008 03:59 AM »

salam

My personal non-islmaic rule of thumb is, if I can tolerate it I dont break my fast.

From my very basic tuition at mosque as a child, I think the hanafi way is, if you faint, fast broken, if you vomit the same fast is considered broken.

Menstrual cramps, you can alleviate by sticking on a heat patch, hot bath, hot water bottle etc. So it would have to be very severe to warrant breaking a fast for such like. Unless you have a doctor telling you to do so.

How has your first fast been, alhumdulillah, after the other post about fasting, I found I was really mentally ready this year and alhumdulillah it was so beautiful. The days are far longer this year and yet lahumdulillah there is no discomfort.
I love love love ramadan, I thin it has rubbed off on my girls too, Fatima was sooo happy it was ramadan, she looks forward to it all year and as she has no concept of time yet it always suprises her Cheesy She regards it as one long celebration ending in lots of presents!!!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

Abdurahman
Bro

Reps: 44

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2008 01:38 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

Praise be to Allaah.   

Honorable sister, you did the right thing by asking.  Allah says:  "Ask the people of Dhikr if you do not know."  Some people prefer to remain ignorant rather than ask.  It is a duty for everyone to propogate the knowledge.

Here is what the scholars say:

Most of the scholars – including the four imams – are of the view that the sick person is not allowed to break his fast in Ramadaan unless the sickness is severe.

What is meant by severe sickness is:

1-     The sickness will be made worse by fasting

2-     Recovery will be delayed by fasting

3-     Fasting will cause intense hardship, even if it does not make the sickness worse or delay recovery

4-     The scholars also included those who fear that they may become sick because of fasting.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Mughni (4/403):

The kind of sickness in which it is permitted to break the fast is intense sickness which will be made worse by fasting or it is feared that recovery will be delayed. It was said to Ahmad: When can the sick person break his fast? He said, When he unable to fast. It was said, Such as a fever? He said, What sickness is worse than fever?

The healthy person who fears that he may become sick if he fasts is like the sick person who fears that his sickness may get worse, they are both permitted to break their fasts, because the sick person is permitted to break his fast because of the fear that his fasting may make his sickness worse and last for longer, and the fear that fasting may cause sickness is similar to that.

Al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo’, 6/261:

The person who is unable to fast because of a sickness which he hopes will go away is not obliged to fast… This applies if he encounters obvious difficulty in fasting and is not subject to the condition that he reaches a point when he is unable to fast. Rather our companions said: The permission not to fast is subject to the condition that fasting causes him difficulties that it is hard for him to bear.” 

Some of the scholars were of the view that it is permissible for every sick person to break his fast and that it is not essential that fasting cause them hardship. 

This is an odd view which was rejected by the scholars.

Al-Nawawi said:

With regard to the person who is slightly sick and who does not suffer any obvious hardship, it is not permissible for him to break his fast, and there is no difference of opinion among us concerning that.

Al-Majmoo’, 6/261

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

The sick person who is not affected by fasting, such as one who has a slight cold or headache, or a slight toothache and the like, is not permitted to break his fast. Even though some of the scholars allow that because of the verse (interpretation of the meaning): 

“…and whoever is ill …”

[al-Baqarah 2:185],

we say that the ruling mentioned in this verse is connected to a condition, which is when breaking the fast will relieve him of hardhsip, but if fasting does not affect him, then it is not permissible for him to break the fast, and he has to fast.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/352.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.

LeylaNur
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2008 08:12 PM »

I was simply curious.. I certainly wouldn't want to break my fast over a mild discomfort. Indeed, it's simpler to fast the whole of Ramazan (at least as much as I am able, being female), and have less (if any) days to make up later.

Jazakallah khairun for all the kind responses!

purplehijabisis

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1249

« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2008 03:53 AM »

salam

By menstrual  cramps I meant premenstrual cramps

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: