Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things I've noticed this Ramadhan....  (Read 14120 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« on: Sep 02, 2008 07:09 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I thought we could have a thread where people could comment on some little things (or big things) that happen to them over the month.  bro

Last night for example I was a tad late getting to the Masjid and couldn't get any parking so I after driving around endlessly , we decided to head off to another Masjid.

By the time we got there, it was already packed and we were praying outside on  the street (and its not even the 27th yet!! Wink)

Looks like people really are pumped up for Ramadhan this year!!   bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2775

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2008 07:17 AM »

wsalam,

i noticed how different this ramadan is without our regular imam. i miss his recitation and the way he would do an amazing khatirah in the middle or even his presence. we depended on him so much in years past and now we're on our own!! i feel like we're the kid first starting to get up and walk for the first time and is wobbling a bit. hope we make it.

also, i noticed no a/c in the sisters upstairs area...... it was sooo hot. and i noticed how much time i waste basically...doing nothing. need to figure out what im doing. sigh.

ws

JustOne
Sis

Reps: 172

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2008 02:29 PM »

I noticed how much cheese arabs eat. My goodness! They put in extra aisles at the grocery stores just for cheese Smiley
Also, I noticed how much garbage there really is on TV.  This Ramadan I decided to only watch the Islamic channels or news channels if at all... and even they are full of garbage Sad

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2008 05:31 AM »

....how many more people visit the board!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2008 05:59 AM »

that the mothers with the good quiet kids stay home, and the one's with the uncontrollable spoiled one's come to taraweeh.  Tongue

tq
Sis

Reps: 189

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2008 02:04 PM »

Assalmao elikuim

Ha Ha Sr.Jannah  - so true!!

You know once you have kids only then you realize/know that no matter what you teach your kids about behaving in public, they always do the opposite Smiley

... I have noticed that how much inspiration you can get from watching your kids fast - suhoor and iftars are never same.
... how everything you do, you are more concious of Allah.

a_desert_rose
Sis

Reps: 5

« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2008 11:25 PM »

...how there's always time to recite the Qur'an in Ramadan (even though we pray extra prayers like Taraweeh and Tahajjud)but as soon as Ramadan's over, that time mysteriously vanishes. Inshallah I'm going to try and keep up the recitation after this month is over..

Wassalam

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2008 09:09 AM »

...that the cellphones that go off during salah are always the one's with the most annoying songs/ringtones possible. cellphone

a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2008 09:13 AM »

Very true sis. Jannah! And also the ONE time you forget to switch off your mobile or to put it in silent mode is when you get several calls  bropraying

...how the Shaitaan has messed with our brains so much that even in Ramadan when he's locked up, it's so easy to get distracted during Salaah   Sad

blackrose
Sis

Reps: 31

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2008 03:38 PM »

salaam

that there is a strange sort of  peace whether things are going good or bad, whether you are fasting or not during Ramadan

I love this month! Alhumdulilah for it!

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1244

« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2008 04:29 PM »

salam

How beautiful the sunrise is. OK so I could have been doing something better after Fajr but it was a beautiful thing to behold.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1244

« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2008 04:35 AM »

salam

That people find the words in the Quran as touching and beautiful as we muslims do.

I was talking to my bosses son, who is temping with us over the summer break, and we were discussing religion, hard to avoid as I'm nil by mouth during the day time.

And he declared, you know if I was any religion I would probably be, Muslim! OK so I didn't take him seriously, until he said in all seriousness. It's the bit where I read that Allah is closer to you than your jugular vein, I thought it was really deep.... I was really surprised, both at being reminded this, and that he could be so serious about something like religion.
Morseo as he had an interview at Oxford university to read thoelogy, and proceeded to argue with the head of the department that there was no god, I felt his choice of debating subject was probably not the wisest considering the head of theology at Oxford is an ordained priest!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2008 07:32 AM »

......that it's very hard to resist a Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnut after Taraweeh Prayer  Wink

DAWUDABDUL
« Reply #13 on: Sep 07, 2008 07:17 PM »

salaam  I have noticed the ones we have with creation during this month, everything looks and feels cleaner and purer.

thobebro

Faizah
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Sep 07, 2008 11:59 PM »

I've noticed that people who claim to be all for diversity and inclusion fail to actually demonstrate it when it comes to Muslims.   Last year during Ramadan there was a 2-day conference of Affirmative Action and Human Resources Adminstrators/Officers.  I spend two days looking at all the food I couldn't eat while others around me indulged.  Sure they asked why I wasn't eating and when I said why I got "oh" as a response.  Again this year the same 2-day conference is scheduled and naturally it's during Ramadan.  I mean seriously these are my peers from around the state and are supposed to know better.  Of course such events wouldn't be held during a major Jewish holiday.

Sadly I also become more aware of how much I'm expected to do in a day and how much I hate the majority of it but have no other alternative nor options.

Fa'izah

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2008 05:46 AM »

...that people driving home for iftar think it's Wacky Races!!!

You have your Penelope Pitstops, your Ant Hill Mobs and  most definately your Dick Dastardlys!

a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #16 on: Sep 08, 2008 10:48 AM »

RE the above post...here's an article from 2004 on crazy driving during Ramadan:

Traffic Violations Hit Record in Ramadan
Abdul Wahab Bashir, Arab News

JEDDAH, 9 November 2004 — The highest number of traffic violations committed by motorists in the city of Jeddah was registered during the month of Ramadan compared to any month in recent years, according to statistics released by the Traffic Department.

During the first two weeks of the month, motorists in the city — known for its chaotic streets — committed more than 100,000 traffic violations, including over 14,000 involving speeding and more than 7,000 involving jumping red lights.

Of the total number of violations committed, Saudis accounted for 56 percent registering 56,200 violations while non-Saudis registered 47,300 violations.

Road accidents usually go up during Ramadan, but this is the first time in many years that such a high number of violations have been reported, police said.

The holy month unfortunately is known for frayed nerves with the accidents peaking just before iftar when people rush to buy food and then race home to break their fast. It is usually during the few minutes before sunset that scuffles and traffic accidents multiply resulting in many people breaking their fast either in police stations or hospitals.

The Deputy Director of Jeddah Traffic Department, Col. Muhammad Al-Qahtani, said speed remains the main cause of many of the fatal accidents reported on the city streets. The department is now bracing for the last days of the fasting month that usually witness heavy rush by shoppers ahead of Eid Al-Fitr celebrations.

A day seldom passes without a fatal accident taking place in some part of the country during Ramadan. In the early hours of Sunday, seven people including six from one family were killed in a head-on collision between two cars in Hail province in one of the most tragic road accidents reported during the month. The family was returning from Makkah after performing Umrah when their car was hit by another coming from the opposite direction.

Police who described the scene as gruesome blamed speed for the accident. The other person killed was the driver of one of the two cars involved in the accident.

One person survived the accident and was rushed to hospital for treatment of multiple injuries.

Saudi Arabia comes first in the world in terms of average traffic accidents. Over the past ten years over 2 million accidents occurred in the Kingdom resulting in the death of more than 39,400 people. Dr. Saleh Al-Athel, president of King Abdul Aziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) said all of the studies they conducted on the various aspects of traffic accidents have identified careless driving and violation of traffic rules as the main causes of accidents. The studies have shown that 78 percent of the people killed were under the age of 45, while one-fifth were children under 15. The Kingdom suffers annual losses amounting to SR21 billion due to accidents.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=54196&d=9&m=11&y=2004

I guess peope never learn.

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2008 03:43 PM »

..how there's always time to recite the Qur'an in Ramadan (even though we pray extra prayers like Taraweeh and Tahajjud)but as soon as Ramadan's over, that time mysteriously vanishes.

sooooooooo true! And I have seen this in particular. Some people ONLY recite in Ramadan. So is this a sin on them? or is it ok?

UmmWafi
Sis

Reps: 121

« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2008 05:55 PM »

I noticed that its during this month that I get weepy when making du'ahs. Sigh...

PS with regards to people only reciting during Ramadan, how can it be a sin when it is still something positive ?

Wassalam

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Sep 09, 2008 03:56 AM »

salaam

sin may be too strong of a word. but im asking bc one is suppose  to be consistent and also wanted to make sure if there is a certain amount of Quran you are supposed to recite in a wk , month ect.

Ive noticed that people eat less dinner especially if you made some iftar dishes so when you do an iftari cook less dinner than usual for the same amount of people especially if you made iftari dishes too!
hope that makes sense Undecided

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Sep 09, 2008 06:33 AM »

.....that I always get a runny nose at some point during the month and I remember my dreams more.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2008 06:39 AM »

...that it would be really interesting to put  LukeS, Abdurrahman and Cheese in a room together. Just kidding guys...I think I'd be scared for my life.  bropraying

maryamarub
Sis

Reps: 53

VERILY ALLAH IS WITH THOSE WHO ARE PATIENT

« Reply #22 on: Sep 09, 2008 09:53 AM »

ASA
.... how the mosque gets filled up and more pple read the quran more. may Allah give us the will to continue even after ramadan.
 and also how I want to do more good things

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2008 06:21 AM »

....everyone seems to be drinking so much more water during breaks in Taraweeh.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #24 on: Sep 14, 2008 07:28 AM »

...that people are a lot more generous in ramadan ma'shaAllah. following the example of ras saw

(our new mosque fundraiser just raised over 600k in one night!!!)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: