Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things I've noticed this Ramadhan....  (Read 14145 times)
Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #25 on: Sep 14, 2008 10:20 AM »

I received Tunisian dates from a travel agency my office uses.  They sent the dates to all Muslim colleagues in my office.  It was beautifully packaged.  I have never tasted dates from Tunisia. I brought it home for iftar. The comment was from everybody who ate:  they are just dates - nothing special.  Can dates really have different tastes depending on where they come from?  I don't think so.  The head of the travel agency is a Muslim Sister!

I once received a package of dates from Saudi Arabia, again wrapped fancily from a colleague who returned from Hajj in 2006.  But Saudi Arabian dates are common here anyway, especially during Ramadan.

A family member who just returned from Egypt brought with him Zamzam water in a plastic container that is made like a pot.  Every body fell in love with the container - the Zamzam water notwithstanding.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

a_desert_rose
Sis

Reps: 5

« Reply #26 on: Sep 14, 2008 10:56 AM »

Assalamu alaykum

Can dates really have different tastes depending on where they come from?  I don't think so.

I always used to wonder how my dad could tell what type of date it is by tasting it (and same with mangoes just by looking at them!) but now I can kinda tell the difference between "low quality" dates and the "high quality" delicious saudi dates like safawi and mabroum.

...that the nights are SO much shorter..

...that no matter how much you try and restrain yourself at Iftar you always end up overeating  Embarrassed

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2777

I heart the Madina

« Reply #27 on: Sep 17, 2008 08:35 AM »

...that i'm addicted to lemonheads this ramadan

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1245

« Reply #28 on: Sep 17, 2008 09:17 AM »

salam

yesyesyes one can tell the difference between dates.

My favourites are ajwa from Madina, they taste better than chocolate, and I would be willing to never eat chocolate ever again if I could have a steady supply of ajwa instead (if anyone knows me they know how serious this is, I am the original chocoholic, I keep cadburys in business!!!).

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

lucid
Bro

Reps: 156

« Reply #29 on: Sep 17, 2008 04:54 PM »

that ice cream is the best thing to eat after iftar...

that i'm scared about bank failures now...given that the FDIC only 50 billion to insure 1 trillion worth of deposits.

that american voters are just as idiotic as deshi voters...

that ramadan here sucks...going to tarawih is like listening to a quran cd on fast forward...

Zainab
Sis

Reps: 1

« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2008 08:20 PM »

...that almost every Muslim woman you pass says salam in Ramadan even if they don't all year round

...that so many more men wear thawbs in Ramadan

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #31 on: Sep 21, 2008 07:53 AM »

....that people make a real effort when it comes to the last 10 nights.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #32 on: Sep 25, 2008 06:02 AM »

...there's a gradual sense of anticipation as the 27th night approaches.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #33 on: Oct 05, 2008 08:23 AM »

.....that PRD [Post Ramadhan Depression] doesn't get any easier!!

Alhamdulillah for the six fasts in Shawwal.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #34 on: Oct 05, 2008 08:31 AM »

...that i miss going to iftars and taraweeh and the community feel even though it was difficult doing it everyday during ramadan!

prds sufferer  gloomy

Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reps: 185

« Reply #35 on: Oct 06, 2008 01:59 AM »

I am going to miss eating dinner as a family....

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon

a_desert_rose
Sis

Reps: 5

« Reply #36 on: Oct 06, 2008 06:15 PM »

....that Ramadan passes by quicker each year  Sad

sofia
Sis

Reps: 85

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #37 on: Oct 07, 2008 11:20 PM »

salaam

...that old habits die hard.

...and that Muslims love communal du'aas.

[The Imam we were lucky enough to have this Ramadhaan was a spring of knowledge (and a mufti!), alhamdulillah, but he didn't feel strongly enough about the du'aas outloud during Witr. So while we got plenty of chances to listen to his khatirahs and ask questions he could actually give a fatwah on, a lot of people got miffed about witr. Not sure why it's such a big deal, but when an Imam does do a du'aa during qunoot outloud, it's beautiful. When he doesn't, why the old habit of breaking away from the masjid for no good reason? It's not even a fard!]   oldshaykh

Ok, got that off my chest. Smiley On to a brighter note ---   fez

...that the "peace until morn" is so palpable, you almost feel like Ramadhaan is over before it is!!! Amazing.   Kiss

Miss it.
May Allah help us benefit from Ramadhaan next year, aameen.
-sofia  hijabisis

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #38 on: Oct 08, 2008 02:07 AM »

ws,

I remember going to a mosque where that happened or when an imam would strictly do only the qunut dua and that's it. I'd be like  Huh? !!! All that and for what! We didn't even get a dua  Shocked I know... it's irrational. It's just like you hope doing all that worship will get you some extra credit and then all the way at the end you make your plea and since you're making it together you hope it's more likely to be answered! it just doesn't feel like ramadan without it and a let down. anywayz i know there's a difference of opinion on it and even one opinion is like it should only be done the last 15 days and all that, but i can see why ppl will be miffed about it, but as a mufti he's perhaps following his madhabs opinion stricly so can't really do anything about it.

ameen on the dua.

Halima
Sis

« Reply #39 on: Oct 08, 2008 12:55 PM »

That closeness between the Muslim Ummah during Ramadan is heart warming and I wonder why it disappears after Ramadan. 

That you reflect more about the hereafter (Akhera) and feel closer to Allah more than any other time. 

That despite striving more/harder for goods deeds and thawab, you can't help falter sometimes due to the inherent nature that is human. 

On a separate note, I hope that jannah will let the Ramadan Courtyard be up till the end of Shawal if at all possible.

The Almighty Allah says,

tq
Sis

Reps: 189

« Reply #40 on: Oct 08, 2008 02:16 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
..feels sad that something is missing.
..My three year old is asking why are we not staying for dinner/iftar and taraweeh in the masjid any more Sad
..sisters are missing the ramadan community feeling a lot (yesterday one even suggested that we should have potluck every Friday to stay in touch Smiley)

Wasalam
tq

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1245

« Reply #41 on: Oct 08, 2008 02:29 PM »

salam

The dua during witr, in the masjid al Haram is something to listen to, I really do miss that, not a dry eye was left once the imam began, and I dont even converse in arabic.

This is one thing I must do at the first oppurtunity, go on hajj/umrah hopefully the latter during one ramadan soon inshallah.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #42 on: Oct 13, 2008 01:47 PM »

.....that everyone seems to book their Hajj trips before Ramadhan finishes!

[One group I know from the UK sold out their  Hajj packages within 2-3 weeks of release!!]

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #43 on: Oct 13, 2008 02:40 PM »

...speaking of which it's probably time to close the ramadan forums  :'( :'( so everyone save what you would like and inshaAlllah we will see our beautiful guest again next year...

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #44 on: Oct 14, 2008 06:06 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

…..that today is the 15th of Shawwal and, for most, exactly 2 weeks after Eid.

Alhamdulillah, the Ramadhan forum has been so beautiful this year; I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed and took time out during a busy month for making it so wonderfully inspirational.

The quote below from one of the diaries, I think, is quite apt.

“The moon comes and goes so quickly- within a few minutes of time. It is a powerful reminder of how quickly Ramadan comes and goes and how even quicker- our lives……..It was just yesterday I was in my youth and tomorrow I will be near the grave. Ironically my birthday is near. I pause to reflect on how fast my life is going and contemplate how near the end is”

Jazakhallah khair
BrKhalid

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #45 on: Aug 01, 2011 06:23 AM »

wsalam,

The funniest thing is that so many ppl are noticing ppl with iphones and even ipads in the Taraweeh lines! Seems like its distracting to other ppl especially since they have to unlock their phone every rakat and go back to finding where the imam was. Ppl are advocating a separate Taraweeh line for ipad users!! I have a feeling Fiqh of Iphones is definitely going to be new scholarly science  Cheesy

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #46 on: Aug 01, 2011 10:32 AM »

.....that people seem incredibly alive even with Taraweeh finishing way past midnight!

PS Smartphone use is most certainly on the rise. I had one brother next to me who was trying to record the whole prayer on his phone!!

UmmWafi
Sis

Reps: 121

« Reply #47 on: Aug 02, 2011 05:42 AM »

...that things are going from bad to worse here in my small corner of the earth. We started off Ramadan with a song and dance performance which ended with fireworks  Huh? The songs were not nasheeds even Sad A'udzubillahi min zalik...

Halima
Sis

« Reply #48 on: Aug 02, 2011 07:03 AM »

During the small Khutba and Dua's at the break of Taraweh Prayers - 20 somethings texting instead of listening to the Khutba or saying Ameen to the Dua's!

Those who couldn't pray the entire Taraweh Prayers are the youngsters - again 20 somethings, late and middle teenagers!!!

The Almighty Allah says,

sadah
Brother
Bro

Reps: 388

Dont be sad...

« Reply #49 on: Aug 03, 2011 01:06 AM »

Salam
Fasting in school isn't easy at all especially during exam period. Recitation of Qur'an becomes hard. Even for Tarawih, people do select to pray at mosques where the Imam is fast!

The Imam of our hostel recites just like Khalil Khusri, very calmly and slowly. This evening I overheard some colleagues making fuss about that.  "For Tarawih, they supposed to assign a fast reciter like Sudais not like Khusri!." One was saying

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: