Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: 'Work for your terrestrial life in proportion to your location in it, and work for your afterlife in proportion to your eternity in it. - abu Hamid al-Ghazali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Religion Booms on British TV  (Read 545 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Sep 03, 2008 08:40 AM »

Extreme Pilgrim, Make Me a Muslim ...  Never heard of any of these before!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Religion Booms on British TV

9/2/08

CAIRO — Feeding on a growing interest in faith, religious broadcasting in Britain is booming with media outlets increasingly producing unusual, taboo-breaking programs.

"We're on a real roll," Michael Wakelin, the head of BBC religion and ethics department, told The Guardian on Monday, September 1.

"You're talking to a man who is in a state of enthusiasm and confidence."

Religious programs are emerging as the new trend on Britain's TV with networks offering bigger budgets for reporting on different religions in the multi-cultural society.

Among the most watched TV shows over the past few years were programs like Priest Idol, Extreme Pilgrim, Make Me a Muslim and God is Black.

On the public-service TV and radio broadcaster Channel 4, programs like Britz, The Cult of the Suicide Bomber, Battle for the Holy Land and God's Waiting Room were broadcast in prime-time slots.

The BBC's Songs of Praise, a program based on traditional Christian hymns, is now running for the fifth decade on.

It is believed to be the most-watched and one of the longest-running religious television programs in the world.

"Songs of Praise is just one thing we do and that gets up to three million viewers a week," Wakelin said.

"All our commissions are massive."

Religion Resurgence

Media people believe the trend of religious programs is capitalizing on a revived interest in faith in the British society.

"We're tapping into the resurgence of religion," said Wakelin, the BBC religion and ethics head.

Mark Thompson, the BBC director general, notes that there was not always such appetite in religious programming.

In the past, he contends, religion was marginal and almost entirely absent from mainstream drama, documentary and comedy.

"Except for those with a particular interest, religion was regarded as rather dull and safe," he told The Guardian.

"Across broadcasting, in our newspapers, in much of the public discourse about religion, the same set of assumptions held sway.

"In television, there was - as there always is - a lively debate about the future of current affairs, coverage of the arts, drama. I don't remember any such debate about the future of religion either on television and radio or in the press."

The role of religion in Britain has gained momentum recently.

A survey by the Christian relief and development agency Tearfund last November indicated that religion was alive and well in the British life, with two in five adult pray on a regular basis.

In April 2007, another report by Tearfund found that the majority of Britons saw Christianity playing a pivotal role in public life.

Copyright 2008 Islam Online

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2008 08:56 AM »

Asalaamu Aalikum  bro

Among the most watched TV shows over the past few years were programs like Priest Idol, Extreme Pilgrim, Make Me a Muslim and God is Black.

I haven't seen any of these but not sure what I think about the rather unmonotheistic titled "Priest Idol" Huh?

Something went badly wrong there!!

PS Best programme on CH4 is The Secret Millionaire where multi millionaires go under cover in deprived areas in search of charities and voluntary organisations in need of money.

Now if only we could get a Middle East version.......  bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: