Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Qur'an Best-seller in France Ramadan  (Read 900 times)
Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« on: Sep 05, 2008 10:19 AM »

Qur'an Best-seller in France Ramadan

9/4/08

By Hadi Yahmid, IOL Correspondent

PARIS — With Muslims dedicating their time during the fasting month to become closer to Allah, the Noble Qur'an is becoming a best-seller in France during Ramadan.

"We sell between 10 to 15 copies of the Noble Qur'an every day," Ali Al-Maghori, a Paris bookshop owner, told IslamOnline.net.

"Pocket-sized copies of the Qur'an top our sales before and during Ramadan."

According to Livre Hebdo magazine, which specializes in books sales, Qur'an ranks 8th among the best-selling books during Ramadan, which began on Monday, September1.

Vendors are seen selling copies of the Noble Qur'an across the streets of the capital Paris, particularly Muslim-populated neighborhoods such as Belleville and Paribas.

Also on sale are books on how to perform prayers and the benefits of fasting Ramadan, the ninth month on the Islamic lunar calendar.

Sales of prayer beads and prayer rags are also booming.

During Ramadan, adult Muslims, save the sick and those traveling, abstain during daylight hours from food, drink, smoking and sex between dawn and sunset.

They dedicate their time during the holy month to become closer to Allah through prayer, self-restraint and good deeds.

It is customary for Muslims to spend part of the days during Ramadan studying the Noble Qur'an.

Yummy

The fasting month is also marked with a high demand on traditional North African deserts. (IOL photo)

The fasting month is also marked with a high demand on traditional North African deserts.

"Zalabiya is a main item on our table in Ramadan," Mokhtar told IOL while lining outside a shop selling Tunisian sweets in Kablat street.

Zalabiya is a kind of doughnut cooked in oil and sprinkled with sugar.

It is a favorite choice, especially for those with North African backgrounds.

Among the most favorite choices for Muslims is also the Algerian Bouzgene Berber bread.

Across the La Chapelle street, shops are selling other sweats such as baqlawa, a kind of Turkish delight, pastry made of puff paste with honey and almonds or pistachios.

To meet the high demand for traditional sweets, many supermarket chains, including Carrefour, are now dedicating special sections for Ramadan items in their local branches.

France is home to nearly seven million Muslims, the biggest Muslim minority in Europe.

They mostly come from North African countries and Turkey.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: