Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 23, 2014 08:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: It was the best of times... it was the worst of times... it was shaadi season time.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fashionable, Modest Muslims  (Read 1794 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Sep 05, 2008 12:55 PM »

Fashionable, Modest Muslims

9/2/08

IslamOnline.net & Newspapers

CAIRO — For Muslim women in the West, incorporating style and runway fashion into the wardrobe while adhering to the tenets of their faith is a priority.

"The big demand here is for clothing that looks like everybody else's clothing but isn't as skin-baring," Ausma Khan, editor-in-chief of the Muslim Girl magazine, told the Ottawa Citizen on Wednesday, August 27.

Khan cites "a huge demand" for high-style fashion among Muslim women, especially the young.

"We hear from readers all the time, asking for websites, asking for stores where they can shop, asking for products."

But Khan recognizes that trying to be stylish while adhering to the Muslim principle of modesty is not an easy thing.

"Some girls are looking for clothes that will have a high neckline, full sleeves and either trousers or skirts that go down to the ankle," she notes.

"When you're looking to dress in that kind of vein, it's much more difficult."

Khan says the challenge becomes more frustrating with the tendency of mainstream fashion to be too revealing, at the time more young Muslims females are becoming modest in their clothing.

In view of the increasing demand for advice, the bimonthly magazine, which aims at helping Muslim girls in the US and Canada face their identity challenges, has devoted an entire issue to fashion earlier this year.

The issue featured a range of choices from modified trends to funky, colorful hijabs and abayas.

Responding

But as more and more Muslim women seek modest yet chic attire, the mainstream fashion industry is starting to take notice.

"Now there's this really big push for modest clothing," Khan believes.

"You're seeing new websites springing up and these young designers coming out trying to cater to this market."

Khan says that the fashion world top brands are also starting to market their clothing to Muslim women.

A few years ago, American department store Nordstrom put on a "full coverage" fashion seminar in Washington, promising to interpret "Hot Trends for Conservative and Veiled Women."

Major European fashion houses have also courted Muslims.

The famous fashion house D&G and other big names in the industry, like Paul Smith, Vera Wang and Jean Paul Gaultier, are now incorporating headscarf into their designs.

For the next fall, headscarf is going to be the hot new vogue in the catwalks of the industry's noted brands.

Khan, who grew up in Canada but is now based in Los Angeles, predicts that with the rocketing demand, the Western fashion will continue to Muslim women's needs.

"They estimate that the Muslim population in the US is between six to eight million, so that's a huge underserved market," says Khan, who grew up in Canada but is now based in Los Angeles.

"If people were to design clothes for them, I think that they'd be really quick to snap them up."

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Hayfa
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Hayfa has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2008 02:41 AM »

Uh-huh..glad they are catching on.. maybe finally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: