// I love Baklava....can you help me out?!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' But conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but because conscience tells one it is right.”
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I love Baklava....can you help me out?!  (Read 2379 times)
Princess1983
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Princess1983 has no influence :(

Make duaa for those less fortunate than us.

« on: Sep 07, 2008 01:42 PM »

Salam everyone,

I adore Baklava and have noticed that there is more than one variety to this lovely desert.

Can anyone post any recipes for them on here? I'm likely to give them a bash towards the end of ramadan.

Is there any other Arab inspired sweets anyone can recommend for a sister with an unhealthy obsession with sweet stuff  flowersis

Princess

Our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wasn't just sent to guide us Muslims, he is a unique, true example to EVERYONE.
This life is only a test-passing will equal Jannah, Inshallah!
Oh Muslim brothers and sisters-consider sponsoring an Orphan if Allah has blessed you with the finances to do so-Ameen.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2008 08:19 PM »

salam

Ages ago on the older board, Sr Kathy posted this.

Let me know should you require a taster Wink

Kathy’s Famous Baklava Recipe 
                         Say Bismillah!

Phyillo Dough
I like the smaller boxes of Phyillo , it is easier to work with.
Thaw in refrigerator over night.

Filling
3c.  Lightly Toasted chopped Walnuts
2c.  Lightly  Toasted chopped Almonds
½c. Brown Sugar
1t.  Cinnamon
1/4t.  Nutmeg
1/4t.  Cloves
5T.  Melted butter

Mix the above ingredients together and let sit over night if possible.

Syrup
2c.  Sugar
1 ½ c.  Water
2 inch square orange rind
2 inch square lemon rind 
Cinnamon stick
1T.  Lemon juice

In a sauce pan, stir together sugar and water, until dissolved.  Add orange & lemon rinds.  Then cinnamon stick.
Bring to a boil- stirring constantly. Add lemon juice.
Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Cool.  Remove rinds and stick

Assembly
If you have a friend to help you by handing you the sheets... it will be great!
Keep the Phyillo sheets from the box covered, do not let them dry out. Each individual Phyillo sheet needs to be completely buttered.  Some use a brush, I prefer using my hands. 

1 lb butter- melted and cooled to hand touch. 

Grease a 13x9 pan with butter.
Layering Phyillo and nuts:
*See how many sheets are in the box any extra add before the 4 layer spot.
First layer- 8 sheets.- fitting in the bottom of the pan.
Put one sheet in, brush with butter, then second-brush butter, third etc...
Add 2 ½ c. of the nut mixture
*Add extra Phyillo here
Again add 4 more layers- each layer, ½ sheet of the sheet hanging outside the pan.
Add 2 ½ c. of the nut mixture.
Cover the nuts with the hanging Phyillo
Add the rest of the sheets about 8 layers.

Cut the top layer of baklava with a knife, to the nut layer, in the traditional Phyillo pattern:
cut the pan in half, and each half in half again.  Then make an x on both half.  This is for a generous serving.  It is almost impossible to cut the Phyillo after baking, without damaging the top layer, so determine ahead of time, you serving requirements.  Make a diagram the first time
on this piece of paper.

Once it is cut pour the left over butter over the entire pan.
Lightly spray the top with a mist of water.

Bake at 350 degrees (Preheated Oven) for 25 minutes.
!!! Every oven is different, please watch very carefully.  You want it a light golden bronze brown, not beige like the bought baklava :p. It is very easy to burn.  Begin watching closely at 20 min.

Cool for about 30 minutes. 
Pour all of syrup over the baklava.

Serve the next day... if you can wait!  This gives the syrup time to permeate the nuts.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
LeylaNur
Sis

LeylaNur has no influence :(

Remembrance of Allah is the true source of peace..

« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2008 08:23 PM »

I have links to a lot of Turkish desserts..

- Spinach cake (does NOT taste like spinach.. Just tell the kids you put in green dye and they'd never know the difference)
- Asure (Noah's pudding) - a mixture of beans, dried fruit, etc. in a sugary sauce.. Again, oddly enough, it does not taste savory at all.
- Galaktoboureko (sorry, don't know the Turkish name) - it's a baklava of sorts, without the nuts.. It uses phyllo dough, but instead of layering with nuts, it's layered with custard!
- You can take regular baklava recipes and instead of using walnut or pistachio, use cashews.. It's really a unique taste! Macadamia nuts would probably also be quite nice.
- There's also the 'birds nest' style of baklava.. You can often buy it pre-made and then just add the warm syrup and let it sit..
- Simple desserts you can take dried fruits like apricots or dates and stuff them with nuts or cream cheese (or both)
- Revani - a syrup drenched semolina cake.. I like making plain OR coconut.

Exactly what kind of baklava do you prefer? Something rosewater scented? Orange blossom scented? Vanilla or plain? Do you like a lot of nuts or a lot of pastry? What kind of nuts do you prefer? This will help me (and other members) find something to your taste.  Grin

I try to remember to count my blessings each day because I have many:

To be thankful for my health, and that of my loved ones, the presence of my husband and the continuation of our marriage, that we can pay our bills and have food on the table..

So many blessings but often, so little thanks!
Princess1983
Sis

Princess1983 has no influence :(

Make duaa for those less fortunate than us.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2008 09:26 PM »

Walakumsalam sisters,

woah that recipe looks groovy  princesssis

As for what type of Baklava I like...I love nuts and cinnamon. I like rosewater too. Hope that helps!

Our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wasn't just sent to guide us Muslims, he is a unique, true example to EVERYONE.
This life is only a test-passing will equal Jannah, Inshallah!
Oh Muslim brothers and sisters-consider sponsoring an Orphan if Allah has blessed you with the finances to do so-Ameen.
LeylaNur
Sis

LeylaNur has no influence :(

Remembrance of Allah is the true source of peace..

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2008 02:38 AM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAND.. Do you prefer cake-style baklava (cooked in a pan and cut into squares, triangles or diamonds) OR roll style baklava?

I try to remember to count my blessings each day because I have many:

To be thankful for my health, and that of my loved ones, the presence of my husband and the continuation of our marriage, that we can pay our bills and have food on the table..

So many blessings but often, so little thanks!
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2008 03:59 AM »

salam

Me, I'm not at all picky, if anyone wishes to make and send moi baklava please do not hesitate to do so..... Wink

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2008 02:43 PM »

Assalamualaikum,

I found a recipe for baklava on RecipeZaar that looks really good though I've yet to try it out:

How to make Baklava- with PICTURES => http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=230630&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The steps are really clear and it looks easier than I thought it was!

Wassalam
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2008 07:02 PM »

salam

All this talk of baklava, I am going to go out and buy some tomorrow inshallah, I lurve the stuff could eat ym body weight of it.

Anyone know the recipe for a type of baklava that seems to be made of dessicated coconut and has a rose flavour to it???

Wassalaam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: