Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Whenever a tedious person sits next to me, the side on which he is sitting feels lower down than the other side of me." - Imam Shafi'i
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Wall Street meltdown moment of truth in White House race?  (Read 1723 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Sep 16, 2008 08:28 AM »

Is Wall Street meltdown moment of truth in White House race?

by Stephen Collinson
2 hours, 56 minutes ago

WASHINGTON, (AFP) - It took a real-world crisis to wrench the White House race away from lipstick and pigs, with the Wall Street meltdown offering a sudden chance of a breakout moment for Barack Obama or John McCain.

After feuding all year over who could best handle a "3 am" call in the White House, the candidates faced a real judgment call when iconic investment bank Lehman Brothers went bankrupt, sparking global stocks contagion.

Multiple polls show the staggering US economy is the number one issue 49 days before election day, but also reveal Democrat Obama and Republican McCain have yet to convince a majority of voters they know how to fix it.

"Neither one of them has been able to craft a message that has been able to reach the American people," said Andrew Dowdle, assistant professor of political science at the University of Arkansas.

Both McCain and Obama went in search of that message Monday, courting voters who fear seeing their pension funds evaporate in the stocks freefall amid warnings other revered US financial instutitions were on the rocks.

Their focus on issues issue contrasted with last week's gutter politics which included the McCain camp accusing Obama of insulting Republican vice presidential pick Sarah Palin, in a distortion of his use of the phrase "lipstick on a pig."

Obama Monday immediately blamed eight years of Republican rule for the crisis, and predicted McCain would bring four more years of the same.

His Republican rival promised a regulatory reform drive in Wall Street, and said Obama would hike taxes and thwart economic growth.

But the Arizona Senator, who now leads his rival by a few points in national polls, opened himself up by declaring in Florida that the fundamentals of the economy were "strong."

"Senator McCain, what economy are you talking about?" Obama asked at a campaign event in Colorado, as his supporters immediately branded McCain as out of touch and the inheritor to the Bush administration's economic legacy.

Earlier in the campaign Obama tried to capitalize on a comment by McCain that he did not know as much about the economy as he should.

Republicans have controlled the US purse strings for eight years, the unemployment rate is at a five-year high of 6.1 percent, gasoline and food prices are soaring and house prices are tumbling.

Obama and the Democrats seem yet to have reached the levels of empathy with hard-pressed voters achieved by his primary rival Hillary Clinton, or famously by her husband Bill Clinton in the 1992 campaign.

"It is amazing that they have not been able to do that to this point," said Dowdle.

An ABC News/Washington Post poll earlier this month found 47 percent of voters trusted Obama to run the economy and 42 percent trusted McCain. The Democrat had enjoyed a much wider lead on the issue for much of this year.

McCain has struggled to navigate away from Bush economic legacy, and Democrats argue that his economic policies barely differ from those of the current president.

But Carly Fiorina, a top economic advisor to McCain, blamed Wall Street, lax regulation by the Bush administration and two years of Democrats in control of Congress for the economic blight.

On MSNBC, Fiorina accused the Bush administration of presiding over a "Wild, Wild, West," with little regulation -- positioning McCain as a agent of reform and change -- not a prisoner of the president's legacy.

McCain's spokesman Tucker Bounds issued an acidic response to Obama's complaints about the Arizona senator's "fundamentals" comment.

"Barack Obama's short career as a public servant has been defined by pessimism, defeatism and weakness in the face of the great challenges of our time," he said.

"His lack of faith in American workers may explain his willingness to raise taxes during a struggling economy, but it is not way to lead our country."

That comment appeared to be a direct attempt to draw attention to Obama's short time as a national figure, and to raise doubts that he was fit to take on the daunting challenge of pulling the US economy out of its hole.

McCain is expected to press home that argument against Obama in three potentially decisive presidential debates beginning on September 26.

Obama supporters will see the forums as his best chance to finally thrust home a winning message on the economy.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/954222

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2008 02:24 PM »

salam

if anything, these financial crises will make people discount anything the republicans have to offer.  not that the democrats have a magic bullet or anything, it is just the prospect of *change* associated with them.

i think  people are just sick and tired of the down-turning economy. hopefully this will influence how they vote.

wassalam
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2008 07:08 PM »

salaam

well i hope it influences how people want to vote, for some reason people seem to believe that mcain all of sudden is telling the truth that washington will change even after seeing the last eight yrs!
do they really want to take that risk?
and the only reason people dont want to vote for obama is because he doesnt have enough 'experience' it boggles the mind. dont they realize palin doesnt have the experience either? dont they realize that is exactly why obama picked joe biden as vp to fulfill the gaps of his experience. He chose what ws the best choice for him and the country or he could have choosed hillary clinton just for politics just to win., But he did not . He thought about the country, while mcain whos known for 'country first' picked palin just so he could get the women voters.. uggggg

dont people see?Huh? hes also put two adds that are lies and everyone even knows they are lies. he got questioned about them by the view.
Obama couldv done the same but he did not, instead he has always been truthful which is the type of role model we need and which is amazing for a politician. He will not attack wrongly, not even to win.

dont people see?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh??!
cheese
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2008 11:56 AM »

I personally feel that an economic crisis would be a good thing. I want it to happen. I pray for it to happen. The poorer they are the less money they have to kill us with.

Replace Pastor with Sheikh, replace black with Muslim, replace white with Kaffir and this becomes as relevant today as it was then.

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2008 11:06 PM »

I personally feel that an economic crisis would be a good thing. I want it to happen. I pray for it to happen. The poorer they are the less money they have to kill us with.

You obviously have no knowledge of economics (or politics in the US). The economic crisis will mainly affect the poor and working class people here. Those people with regular jobs, as clerks, supermarket workers, retail, construction workers, working for the government, etc etc etc...the average people. Those who are rich will be able to safeguard their monies through funds and tax breaks. Even if they take a loss they have money to spare and they won't lose their jobs or sources of income. It will not affect the US's foreign policy one jot. Do you think because the country is in a recession they will stop bombing people or locking up muslims? It will probably make the situation for Muslims worse as who better to blame than the wars iraq alqaida and mozlims. Those people who work for a living to provide for their families will be affected as will be other markets across the globe that depend on the US economy. Including ALL Muslim countries. When there is a depression in the US you better believe people across the globe will starve. So I suggest you keep your prayers to yourself.
cheese
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2008 10:56 AM »

That’s just what they want you to think.
They want you to think America is some kind of cloud that showers rain on the rest of the world.
This is not the case; America is what is known as a parasite economy. It takes from the whole world and gives very little. It takes the fuel, food, manufactured goods and raw materials and gives bits of green paper which they themselves print in return.
This is no different to what they did to the native Americans when they took their land and gave them glass beads, took gold, food, skins and labour for more worthless glass beads. This is now happening to the whole world, they take everything from everyone in exchange for worthless bits of green paper!
The sooner people realise they don’t need those bits of paper the better for the world, as the nations would be able to buy and sell from each other without paying a commission to America(Israel).
Put simply, the less money they have, the less money they have to buy fuel for the planes that bomb us and the less money they have to pay the mercenaries that kill us. Whether this reduction in money comes from the reduction in taxes paid by the rich few or the poor masses is irrelevant as a reduction in the money they have available to do their evil will always be a good thing.
My advice to American Muslims is help the collapse happen, work the minimum you need to feed yourselves to minimise the taxes you pay. Whatever money you have in America, transfer it abroad. That will help the collapse and give you something to live on if they do decide to blame Muslims for their own economical incompetence.
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2008 11:48 AM »

cheese,

you are a strange person.  you simply hate people.  and you are wildly deluded. 

the main problem of muslims is not that they are bombed are being killed.  you only get that impression if you have never lived in the muslim world and get all of your news from cnn. 

the main problem of muslims is inequality -- muslim elites have not allowed wealth to filter down to the masses.  and muslims practice enormous gender discrimination -- which amounts to keeping the poor impoverished.  when a mother is the last to eat in a family, she is less healthy, her kids become less healthy, and her kids educational needs then become secondary.  and so her kids grow up uneducated and poor, and so the cycle continues.

cheese, your head is buried in the sand; you have no clue as to what is going on.  corruption, economic and political, and gender discrimination are the reason why muslims are poor and thus powerless.  and this is the fault of muslims no matter how you try to distribute the blame.
cheese
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2008 01:11 PM »

“you are a strange person.”

No one has ever said such a nice thing about me, thank you very much. May the blessings of Allah rain down on you for saying such a nice thing, even though I believe I am undeserving of such a complement.

Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) said "Surely, Islam began as something strange and it will again become something strange, so give glad tidings to the stranger for they will set right the corruptions caused in my Sunnah by people after me." (At-Tirmidhee and Muslim [Sahih Muslim (english translation)], vol.1, p.82, no.270)

“you simply hate people.” 

Yes and so do you. Everyone hates and everyone loves. What separates us is who we hate and who we love.
Some people love the oppressors and hate the oppressed, others claim to love them both but in reality they continuously spew hatred against any one who opposes the oppressors or the oppression.
Read some of my other posts to see my love. Like the love for the mujahideen, I love the ulima of the Sunnah, like that Canadian Alim who allot of people ignorantly attacked because he has two wives. Do you love the people I love, or do you hate the people I love?

“and you are wildly deluded.  “
May be I am, what is the level of your certainty that you are not deluded?

“the main problem of muslims is not that they are bombed are being killed”.

Would you say that if you were bombed?

“ you only get that impression if you have never lived in the muslim world and get all of your news from cnn.  “

I don’t watch CNN (It is a Zionist owned Channel spewing American propaganda) and I have lived in the Muslim world.
Please enlighten me, do you watch CNN?
Have you lived in the Muslim world?

“the main problem of muslims is inequality”
No the main problem is we have divorced our whole lives or part of it from the Sunnah. All our other problems branches from this one problem. We will solve our problems by following the Sunnah and seeking solutions to any tests Allah places before us from the Sunnah. If we did that we would realise that the solution to Muslim countries being invaded is Jihad, not taking part in elections. The solution will be choosing a leader from amongst our selves (Khalif) to lead us against the kaffir invader, not choosing a Kaffir (president) who will lead the forces of kufr against us.

“muslim elites have not allowed wealth to filter down to the masses.”  and muslims practice enormous gender discrimination -- which amounts to keeping the poor impoverished.”

If you are referring to the rulers I agree.
They need to be removed. They were installed by the Kaffir when the Khilafah was destroyed and carved up after WW1. If you are referring to the Ummah, I dispute your claim; no one gives more in charity than Muslims.

“when a mother is the last to eat in a family, she is less healthy, her kids become less healthy, and her kids educational needs then become secondary.  and so her kids grow up uneducated and poor, and so the cycle continues.”

Well that isn’t how my family functions, is it the way yours functions?
I have eaten in the houses of some very poor people, I haven’t seen that. What I have seen is poor people feeding me, their guests before they feed themselves. No nation behaves like this other than Muslims. I love the Ummah and have seen its goodness first hand.

“cheese, your head is buried in the sand; you have no clue as to what is going on.  corruption, economic and political, and gender discrimination are the reason why muslims are poor and thus powerless.  and this is the fault of muslims no matter how you try to distribute the blame.”

The oppressors always blame the oppressed instead of blaming themselves.
The Israelis say this against the Palestinians while they steal their lands, taxes and money. And the Americans are using this excuse about the natives, when they stole all their lands and locked them in concentration camps to starve. Now they say it about Iraqis. We aren’t to blame for the rulers who were imposed on us by the imperialists. We aren’t responsible for what the kaffir order them to do. What we are responsible for is removing them, and this is a process that isn’t always pretty. While we act to remove them, the American army will use America’s wealth to try and stop us. So the less wealth America has the better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: