// For Jane Austen fans...
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Whenever a tedious person sits next to me, the side on which he is sitting feels lower down than the other side of me." - Imam Shafi'i
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Jane Austen fans...  (Read 15026 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 05, 2008 11:14 AM »

Wasn't sure where to put this... in books or films??!  But these films are coming up on PBS so can't wait!!!

Masterpiece Theatre
The Complete Jane Austen
Premiering Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Complete Jane Austen, beginning Sunday, January 13, 2008, features all new productions of Persuasion, Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park, and Sense and Sensibility. The lineup also includes the acclaimed Emma staring Kate Beckinsale, and the Emmy Award-winning Pride and Prejudice that made Colin Firth a leading man. Four of the titles -- Emma, Northanger Abbey, Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility -- were adapted by celebrated screenwriter Andrew Davies.

Persuasion
January 13, 2008

Northanger Abbey
January 20, 2008

Mansfield Park
January 27, 2008

Miss Austen Regrets
February 3, 2008

Pride and Prejudice
February 10, 17, + 24, 2008

Emma
March 23, 2008

Sense and Sensibility
March 30 + April 6, 2008    
Anwar
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2008 03:59 PM »

I bet you're looking forward to P&P the most huh  Wink
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2008 04:10 PM »

ws,

nope i already have them all on dvd but just looking forward to seeing them on tv and the new version of s&s and the 'austen regrets' thing

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2008 10:17 PM »

Ok this is incredibly funny. What would it be like if the Men of Jane Austen were on a modern matrimonial site with profiles Wink

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/austen/menofausten.html
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2008 03:42 AM »

What Time?Huh?Huh?Huh??
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2008 10:35 AM »

You have to check on the PBS (pbs.org) website for their schedules in your area. Here, it's 9pm every Sunday.

ws
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2008 08:49 PM »

Pride and Prejudice told through Facebook newsfeed - Hilarious

http://www.much-ado.net/austenbook/

Wassalam,

a_desert_rose
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2008 10:10 AM »

LOVED that a desert rose!! that was amazingly fabulous lol

i moved this back to 'bookworms'. i guess since they're originally novels this thread should stay here  bookworm reader

so i found this recently. thought it was really interesting:
Indepth scholarly look at Jane Austen's Persuasion and the movie The Lake House

Don't read it unless you've seen the Lake House!! (which btw is a good clean movie for the most part and has a very interesting premise!) It gives away the whole plot and analyzes it too, so watch the movie first if you get a chance!

=================

Often defined as Austen’s dark, autumnal, and melancholic work, Persuasion is “atypical” in the Jane Austen canon (Dalsimer 114-15).  It has been adapted to the screen on different occasions, the most recent being Roger Michell’s 1995 and Adrian Shergold’s 2007 dramatizations.  Alejandro Agresti’s The Lake House (2006) is also a modern version of Persuasion.1  Austen’s novel serves as a template for this twenty-first-century romantic comedy, whose heroine is a fan of Jane Austen, particularly of Persuasion.  Hero and heroine read and discuss the book, which both helps justify their relationship and situates the film within a romance genre partly established by Austen.

con't: http://www.jasna.org/persuasions/on-line/vol29no1/cano-lopez.html
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2009 05:31 PM »

Since the Film & TV section hates me and won't let me post any replies or start a new topic, I'm putting this here until Jannah kindly moves it to the right place...although I won't be able to reply to it then Sad

Anyway, brilliant news on the Austen adaptations front:

1. A new BBC adaptation of Emma has been announced!! 4 sixty-minute episodes!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/01_january/28/emma.shtml

http://www.austenblog.com/2009/01/28/emma-2009-is-official/

They haven't revealed the cast yet but the scriptwriter is Sandy Welch, who did North and South  Smiley

2. A Hindi adaptation of Emma, produced by Anil Kapoor (who acted in Slumdog Millionnaire) and starring his daughter Sonam Kapoor as the Indian Emma.

http://www.desihits.com/blog/article/anil-kapoor-to-make-movie-based-on-jane-austen-book-20090209

Can't wait!

Wassalam
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2009 08:49 AM »

Salam,

I tried to replicate you and sr kathy's problems using different accounts/post#s/groups with the tv review forum and i just can't replicate it??? when you first click on it do you see the "new post" button on top? and once you click on a thread you don't see a "reply" button there at the top right... but you see these in all other forums??
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2009 03:26 PM »

W/salaam,

No the buttons are there, but as soon as I click in the typing area, it automatically logs me out and redirects to the forum homepage.
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2009 03:28 PM »

I just tried using Firefox and it works fine..I guess it's just Safari that's the problem  Roll Eyes
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2009 07:54 AM »

I'm kinda scared... I didn't like Bride & Prejudice... I think it just totally lost the entire storyline and the actors were so wooden it was ridiculous.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see!!

Countless times have we seen the legendary author Jane Austen’s books being brought to life on screen. Besides the many many classic English versions, Bollywood’s own Aishwarya Rai has been seen in two films based on the authors books, Gurinder Chadha’s Bollywood inspired Bride and Prejudice and the Tamil version of Sense and Sensibility titled Kandukondain Kandukondain, which also starred Tabu . However, Bollywood audiences are still awaiting their very own adaption of a Jane Austen classic. Well, the wait is over Anil Kapoor promises with his new home production.

That's right, the word is final. The Jane Austen classic Emma will be adapted for Indian audiences in a project titled Ayesha. The camera starts rolling this April with Abhay Deol in the role of Emma/Ayesha's secret love. Along with Abhay the movie will star newcomer Arunodoy Singh who plays the role of the Victorian Casanova.

Now whose our Emma, or shall we say Ayesha you ask? Well none other than daddy's girl Sonam Kapoor whole be sporting an ultra chic and glam avatar for this home production.

Although the news of the moment is the rumor of Dad Anil Kapoor playing Sonam's onscreen father too in the film. No last word has been given on this news because Anil remains hesitant at the idea of playing Sonam's father when he still acts opposite actresses like Katrina Kaif and Kareena Kapoor.
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2009 10:33 AM »

Completely agree with you there J, I can't stand B&P. I think they shouldn't have tried to make it a hybrid Indian-English thing - those accents are ridiculous - plus of course the wooden acting. I think the only person worth mentioning in there was Mr.Kholi happy

I hope they don't try and make 'Emma' into some Hindu-Muslim thing, considering her name is Ayesha.

Has anyone seen Clueless? It's a modern-day loose adaptation of Emma, Mean Girls style. It's actually really cool how they've adapted the story and their takes on the various characters (Mr.Martin's character is a druggie, Mr.Knightley is Emma's ex-stepbrother).

On a completely different note, I came across this today - hilarious and witty

Jane Austen's Oscar Nominees:

In all the rampant Oscar coverage, I'm shocked that no journalist unearthed the fact that the early versions of all five of this year's Best Picture nominees were actually written by Jane Austen!

There. You didn't know it either, did you?

What -- you don't believe me?

Here, as proof, are excerpts from all five:

Jane Austen's SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

No one who had ever seen this slumdog in his infancy would have supposed him born to be a millionaire. His situation in life, the poverty of his father and mother, his predatory elder brother, were all equally against him. He was fond of all boy's plays, and greatly preferred cricket not merely to reading, but even to life itself--for how else might one explain his unaccountable attachment to bowling at the wicket even in the face of rapidly descending airships? His school was three months in teaching him the names of two of the musketeers, but he never was able to remember the third, for he was often inattentive, and occasionally lured by an award-winning soundtrack into running through the streets of Mumbai during school hours.

Check out the rest here: http://riskyregencies.blogspot.com/2009/02/jane-austens-oscar-nominees.html
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2009 08:05 AM »

Very cute little documentary on Pride & Prejudice. Follow the links to watch all 5 parts!!

Also while watching that I found a link to the 1940s version... just soooo amusing....
CambridgeSister
Sis

CambridgeSister has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2009 05:44 PM »

Ok this is incredibly funny. What would it be like if the Men of Jane Austen were on a modern matrimonial site with profiles Wink

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/austen/menofausten.html

Just saw this...bit delayed..but .....MR DARCY!  Embarrassed Kiss
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2009 09:19 PM »

2009 must be the year of Emma!!

The new one coming out soon of Emma from the BBC:

And the bollywood version coming soon called Ayesha:

salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2009 11:39 PM »

Don't know if you've come across this already but here you go:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jul/15/austen-sea-monster-mashup

Following the success of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, publisher unleashes creatures from the deep on Sense and Sensibility

Sea monsters are the new zombies, at least according to Quirk Books, the publisher of this year's surprise hit Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Quirk, whose remix of Jane Austen pitted the Bennet sisters against hordes of flesh-eating undead, has announced that the new title in its series will be Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.

The book, which Quirk said would be 60% Austen and 40% tentacled chaos, sees Elinor and Marianne Dashwood contending with giant lobsters, rampaging octopi, two-headed serpents and other ferocious sea monsters as they set out on their quest for love. As in Austen's original, Marianne first meets Mr Willoughby when he rescues her, but instead of being saved from bad weather and a sprained ankle, this time it's from a giant octopus.

"As she lay gasping on the bank, soaked by the fetid water and the foul juices of the monster, spitting small bits of brain and gore from the corners of her mouth, a gentleman clad in a diving costume and helmet, and carrying a harpoon gun, ran to her assistance," write Austen and her new co-author, Brooklyn writer Ben H Winters. "The gentleman, opening the circular, hinged portcullis on the front of his helmet, offered his services; and perceiving that her modesty declined what her situation rendered necessary, took her up in his arms without further delay and carried her down the hill."

Quirk is so sure of the book's appeal that it is going head-to-head with Dan Brown's much-anticipated new novel The Lost Symbol, publishing Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters in the UK and the US on the same day: 15 September.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies has sold over 50,000 copies in the UK and 600,000 in the US since publication in April, sparking a new trend for what Quirk has dubbed the "literary monster mash-up". Other publishers have rushed to jump onto the bandwagon, and this autumn will see publication of both Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter – subtitled She Loved Her Country; She Hated Demons - and I am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas. "Marley was dead. Again," says its publisher Orion. "Will the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future be able to stop the world from drowning under a top-hatted and crinolined zombie horde?"

Seth Grahame-Smith, meanwhile, the author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, signed a deal worth a rumoured $500,000 (£300,000) in April with Grand Central to write the life of Abraham Lincoln, vampire hunter.

But vampires and zombies are old news, according to Quirk. "A couple of publishers are crashing Jane Austen vampire novels that will no doubt capitalise on the success of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and there were certainly plenty of people who urged me to do the same," said editorial director Jason Rekulak. "But I think Pride and Prejudice and Zombies fans are counting on us to deliver something original, and I don't think they will be disappointed."

Rekulak said earlier this week that he had always wanted to do a mash-up of a famous literary novel. "I thought it would be funny to do a 'new and improved' version of a classic that kids are forced to read in high school," he told Publishers Weekly. "So I made a list of classic novels and a second list of elements that could enhance these novels—pirates, robots, ninjas, monkeys and so forth. When I drew a line between Pride and Prejudice and zombies, I knew I had my title and it was easy to envision how the book would work."

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2009 12:27 AM »

I picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies recently at an airport bookstore and since I had a few hours layover I started to read it, but I just didn't like it at all! The author just took all of the original text and just replaced words and sentences here and there to make a "new story" about zombies. It just wasn't entertaining or interesting. Maybe for someone who hasn't read P&P so many times or isn't so much a fan it might be fun to read? At least the new one Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters might veer from the plot a little to make it more interesting??
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #19 on: Jul 30, 2009 04:29 PM »

Salam . .I know this isn't TV or film, but just thought I would share this. I have been to the festival in the past, but that was back in high school.

OSF gets grant to help stage 'Pride and Prejudice'
by The Associated Press
Thursday July 30, 2009, 7:27 AM

ASHLAND -- Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy are coming to Ashland.

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival received $35,000 from the Oregon Cultural Trust to help produce a stage adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice."

Executive director Paul Nicholson says the festival chose to adapt the Jane Austen novel because of its wide popularity.

The grant covers just a small percentage of the money it will take to get "Pride and Prejudice" on the stage. Nicholson says production costs for such a project can easily run to $1 million.

The award was one of almost 50 announced this week by the cultural trust, a statewide program that raises money to support Oregon's arts, humanities and culture.

-- The Associated Press

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2009 07:27 AM »

Emma is coming to PBS! I've already seen it and it was a very nice adaptation! So check it out if you can Smiley

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/emma/

Jan 24- Feb 7, 2010

A fresh and fiercely funny new three-part adaptation of Jane Austen's comic masterpiece, starring Romola Garai (Atonement) as the "handsome, clever and rich" Emma Woodhouse, a young woman who dominates her small provincial world of Highbury. Misguidedly believing that she is a skilled matchmaker, Emma repeatedly attempts to pair up her friends, often with dire results. Jonny Lee Miller (Endgame, Eli Stone) plays Mr. Knightley, Emma's shrewd and attractive neighbor, and Michael Gambon (Cranford) is her affectionate, neurotic father.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #21 on: Jun 09, 2010 10:16 AM »

Bollywood and Jane Austen!!!

Can't wait. Apparently this will release in August...but seems more like a remake of Clueless (a teen-modern-flick very loosely based on Emma's storyline) than actually based on Emma.

==========

"Aisha is a girl with a simple diktat - everyone's business is her business. Arjun is a boy with even a simpler set of beliefs - Aisha should mind her own business. Caught in the Delhi upper class world with its own set of social rules, Aisha navigates her world with a great sense of style and even greater optimism. Caught in her web are her best friend Pinky, the small town girl Shefali, the west Delhi boy Randhir and the hunk Dhruv. Aisha will make sure everyone dances to her tune. And all Arjun wants to do is disentangle that web and get Aisha out of an impending sticky mess. Who will succeed and who will succumb? Welcome to Aisha's fabulous world where playing cupid is as easy as 123...if only that Arjun would stay out of her way!"

Release date: August 6, 2010

Update: trailer!! looks so adorably cute

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2010 03:33 PM »

hah!
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2010 10:17 PM »

Cheesy

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2010 12:53 AM »

lol. Nice.

But there is a wider variety to choose from (Col. Brandon, Edward, Captain Wentworth, Mr. Knightly)

t
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: