Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Knowledge is of two kinds: that which is absorbed and that which is heard. And that which is heard does not profit if it is not absorbed. - Ali ibn abi Talib (radiAllah anhu)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Jane Austen fans...  (Read 14990 times)
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2010 09:58 AM »

MR. THORNTON!!!!!!!!!!!

ahem.. sorry.  he's not even written by Jane Austen, but I just had to get that out of my system.

salaam,
Wink
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2011 02:53 PM »

Did you end up watching Aisha at some point, Sis Jannah? I did - Sonam looked really pretty of course and I knew what was going to happen and I have to admit, it was of course, more of a girly movie, but it was nice to watch on a Friday night on my laptop.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2011 09:00 PM »

Heh yes I saw it. Being a remake of Emma how could I not! I thought they really tried to make it cute, fashionable and modern. But they just didn't get the characters right... Emma was rich and spoiled, but she was likeable and sweet. She sincerely was trying to help her friends. In this movie she was just unlikeable and no one has any sympathy for her. Her father was indulgent but a worry-wart. Knightly was an older brother type figure that she eventually realized she had feelings for. He had feelings for her all along. That just didn't show at all. They had no chemistry with each other. A much better modern remake was Clueless. I wish someone would modernize Persuasion. Wow what a story!!

WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2011 09:43 PM »

Reading your analysis and recalling my first impression, yeah, 'Aisha' wasn't too much of a sympathetic character - in fact, I remember being annoyed. Also, they are both newer additions to the industry, which maybe played a role, but I guess they needed younger actors . . . anyways, yeah Clueless was nice.

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #29 on: Jun 26, 2011 09:48 PM »

Salams,

Have two recommendations for all u jane austen fans  Wink

From Prada to Nada
- cute modern remake of Sense and Sensibility set among Latin Americans in LA. we watched it the other day and it was very light and true to the original story. enjoyed their take on everything! nothing too bad in it.

A Jane Austen Education: How Six Novels Taught Me About Love, Friendship, and the Things That Really Matter
by William Deresiewicz - i was given this as a gift from a secret jane austen fan on the board Wink jazakallah khair. at first, reading about jane austen from a guys perspective was really odd, especially in the beginning when he was like 'i hate jane austen'! and then he was like 'i'm in love with lizzie bennett'!! but it gets much better and the last chapter is a real tour de force! so highly recommended and insightful.

k ws Smiley

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #30 on: Sep 14, 2011 07:48 AM »

Ahhh kinda sad what's become of these balls Smiley but I find the article pretty hilarious...

Loads of dosh, frothy frocks, but not a suitor in sight: The reincarnated debs' ball... once dubbed 'bloody daft' by Prince Philip

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2037144/Queen-Charlottes-Ball-The-debutante-ball-dubbed-bloody-daft-Prince-Philip.html?printingPage=true
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #31 on: Oct 17, 2011 06:59 PM »

Read a number of PD James's mysteries so very excited to hear about this!! A sequel that should actually be good!

Death Comes to Pemberley, P.D.James's contribution to Jane Austen sequels

Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James will be available in the UK on November 3rd and in December in the U.S.

The author told The Associated Press during a telephone interview that the new book allows her to indulge two great passions: Austen and crime stories.

‘It has been a joy to revisit Pride and Prejudice and to discover, as one always does, new delights and fresh insights. I have to apologise to Jane Austen for involving her beloved Elizabeth in a murder investigation but this fusion of my two enthusiasms – for the novels of Jane Austen and for writing detective stories – has given me great pleasure which I hope will be shared by my readers.’

The plot starts out dramatically. Six years after Darcy and Elizabeth are married, they are still happy and have two sons. But then their lives are changed when Lydia Wickahm arrives in a careening wagon in the middle of the night shouting that her husband has been murdered.And so the mystery begins.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #32 on: Oct 18, 2011 03:11 AM »

Very cool! Sounds VERY interesting! Shall keep an eye out for it in December!

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2011 09:00 AM »

A very scholarly article analyzing the movie Aisha in comparison to Emma. Can't believe it's so positive??? : http://jasna.org/persuasions/on-line/vol32no1/kenney.html

rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #34 on: Jul 31, 2012 08:24 PM »

How about this for you Jane Austen fans:
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2013 03:33 PM »

I went to this BBC radio recording last month! It's a really interesting discussion on P&P along with mystery author PD James!! It's on their website now:

se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2013 09:07 PM »

salaam,

I read Death Comes to Pemberley and the plus side was that, unlike many of the other sequels out there, it was actually believable in terms of the writing style, and with the characters staying true to their personalities... BUT, overall I just couldn't get into the plot too much.  I felt like there needed to be more intrigue and drawing in of the main characters... or just something more.  I don't know.  It was ok, but not amazing.  What did you all think (those who read it)?

salaam,

Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2013 06:11 AM »

salaam,

I read Death Comes to Pemberley and the plus side was that, unlike many of the other sequels out there, it was actually believable in terms of the writing style, and with the characters staying true to their personalities... BUT, overall I just couldn't get into the plot too much.  I felt like there needed to be more intrigue and drawing in of the main characters... or just something more.  I don't know.  It was ok, but not amazing.  What did you all think (those who read it)?

salaam,

I also read "Death Comes to Pemberley" over the summer. I didn't really like it that much - it just felt a bit disconnected and strange. I felt as though I was waiting for something to happen that didn't happen, and that the plot points just wrapped up far too easily at the end - I felt like a lot of tension was built at the beginning and then it just fell flat and the book just...ended rather than having any kind of climax.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2013 12:47 PM »

Nature I agree with you! While I love PD James and think she has an excellent grasp of P&P after hearing her in person I don't know why the book didn't have that perfect mystery flare. But they're making it into a film! So it might be actually really interesting how they put everything together in film format. Could be better than the book!!

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #39 on: Feb 14, 2013 12:47 PM »

Sounds like a good book....

Title:  The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things
Author:  Paula Byrne
Publisher:   Harper Collins
Publication Date:  1/29/2013

How Acquired:  Through the Publisher

What it’s about:  I came to Jane Austen relatively late in life it feels.  I didn’t read Pride and Prejudice until my senior year of high school.  As a moody teenager, I reveled in the gothic novels of Emily and Charlotte Bronte.  It was actually the film version of Pride and Prejudice starring Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson that got me interested in reading the book.  I found the movie so delicious and fun that I had to read the book.  Since then I’ve read Northanger Abbey, Emma and Persuasion and I’ve seen almost every single adaptation of all the books.  I’ve even read several biographies but I’ve never really felt as if I knew who Jane was.  She certainly wasn’t the character played by Anne Hathaway in BECOMING JANE that much is for sure.
The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things offers a startlingly original look at the Jane through the key moments, scenes, and objects in her life and work.  Instead of a chronological ‘then she did this, and then she did that,’ birth to death biography, each chapter starts off examining a particular object; the topaz crosses that her brother Charles bought her and her sister Cassandra, marriage bans, her first royalty check, an Indian shawl.  Byrne uses these items to explore the lives of Austen’s extended family, friends, and acquaintances. Through their absorbing stories, we view Austen on a much wider stage and discover unexpected aspects of her life and character. We learn fascinating stories about Jane Austen’s paternal aunt Philadelphia Hancock and her extraordinary journey to India to find a husband.  Then there is Jane’s maternal aunt Mrs. Leigh-Perrot and her sticky fingers which led to jail time as she awaited her trial.   Byrne also uses the objects to examine how Jane used the things that she learned, the gossip, navy life to inform and enrich her writing.  The reader learns that Jane Austen was actually fairly well-traveled for her time, traveling back and forth from Bath to Steventon, the seaside villages of Lyme, naval ports such as Portsmouth and Southampton and many trips to London where she had the occasion to see actors such as Edmund Kean and Sarah Siddons grace the stage.

What Byrne does is so fantastic, that I’m amazed that other writes don’t tackle their subjects this way.  It’s like peeling back the layers of an onion, as each layer is removed, more and more of the real person is revealed. My favorite chapters were actually the ones that dealt with characters and situations from Mansfield Park which is funny because it's actually my least favorite of her novels. However, Byrne's chapter in particular on the Earl of Mansfield and his great niece Dido Elizabeth Belle is so fascinating.  In each chapter, I met a new and fascinating person.  I think I spent almost as much time looking up people like the poet William Cowper as I did reading the book.
The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things introduces us to a woman who was much worldlier than she has previously been portrayed. Jane was far ahead of her time in not just her independence and ambition but also in her opinions. Byrne also examines how later generations of biographers and family members created the image of the genteel, unworldly spinister, and hid the tougher, more biting, woman who was both politically and socially aware of what was going on in the outside world.  Austen may have focused her fiction on four or five families living in the country, but those characters all interact with others who come from the outside world.  Byrne points out how ballsy it was for Jane to want to be published.  Although there were women authors like Mrs. Radcliffe, Fanny Burney (a particular favorite of Austen's), and Maria Edgeworth, Jane's novels fell into a category all by themselves, altogether quieter but much more realistic. By the time I put the book down, I felt as if Jane Austen had become a dear and treasured friend.

My verdict:  I strongly encourage everyone to buy this book, even if you’ve read other Austen biographies.  You will walk away from this book looking at not just Jane Austen but the novels with fresh eyes.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #40 on: Dec 31, 2013 12:10 PM »

The Death Came to Pemberley was adapted by the BBC and shown on TV here over Xmas. It's veryyy well done and actually very interesting. I think you'll like it even if you didn't like the book! Adds some dark depths and layers to the whole P&P franchise. Some great actors for the parts. It was awesome!
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #41 on: Dec 31, 2013 12:43 PM »

I liked it too, so did my eldest, altho not all of it was appropriate for kids.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: