// Irshad Manji and Dalia Mogahed - Who Speaks for Islam?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Live life as if you will live forever, but do ibadah as if you'll die tomorrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irshad Manji and Dalia Mogahed - Who Speaks for Islam?  (Read 5774 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Sep 21, 2008 06:40 AM »

Irshad Manji and Dalia Mogahed - Who Speaks for Islam?

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/blog/community/irshad-manji-and-dalia-mogahed-who-speaks-for-islam/

salaam
This is very intersting, I encourage all to watch
Its a video but im not sure how to paste it on here. mashAllah sister Dalia does an awesome job. May Allah swt reward her

Rehmat
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Rehmat is not to be trusted!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2008 10:26 PM »

What a Canadian Jewish academic think of Irshad Manji....

http://www.henrymakow.com/000642.html
UmmWafi
Sis

Reputation Power: 12
UmmWafi has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2008 07:34 AM »

Salam Sis Blackrose

Mashallah the video was good. I am now motivated to buy Sis Dahlia's book, a collaboration with Prof John Esposito.

Shukran for posting this.

Wassalam
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2008 08:25 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Sr. Dalia did an awesome job!  I love the part where she left Irshad Manji at a loss for words and 'ruminating' Smiley

I think what Manji is proposing - that ijtihaad can be done by anyone without needing any type of qualification or study - is crazy loopy.  Alhamdulillah Sr. Dalia did a great job showing the faults and problems in that idea...

nuh
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2008 01:29 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

I really enjoyed this video.

When it comes to wellspoken female muslim academics I am profoundly ignorant. Can anyone recommend names of other sisters (books and youtube videos) who are on par with Sister Dalia.

Jazakallahu khairn,
nuh
 bro
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2008 03:39 PM »

asak
A friend of mine has become enamoured with Irshad. I really don't know much about the sis other than to pick up her book- read some passages and then dismiss the book. (I know- this is bad way to judge a person). Can someone send me a couple of articles about her?

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
blackrose
Sis

blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2008 04:43 PM »

the thing about Irshad manji I dont understand is she wants to change Islam. I mean if you dont like then why are you Muslim.

Kathy you can go to her website, irshadmanji.com
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2008 08:39 PM »

I agree with the above ^. Unfortunately making a living and fortune off of criticizing/making up things/trashing Islam is a lucrative industry to some people. So......if you don't like the way something is in Islam ie homosexuality not allowed then they criticize Islam for it and say it needs to be "reformed". Seriously they just need to say "OK i'm not Muslim". They are just quacks in the guise of real experts or intellectuals.
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2008 09:57 PM »

I want a 'scholarly' article refuting her.

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2008 10:43 PM »

Why? She's not a scholar, why do we need a scholar to refute her? Using her own standards any Muslim on the street should be able to standup and say she's wack.
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2008 03:11 AM »

Unfortunately that is not happening in my neck of the woods. There is sister who considers herself quiet knowledgable who seems enamoured of Irshad and promoting her- I am afraid she will influence to many college age sisters.
I just don't have the time to deal with this sister, as we go around and around over many issues. I thought i could send her a well penned article by someone much more knowledgable than me about Irshad.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2008 06:11 PM »

salam,

Yes, it's unfortunate. Seems like anyone from Steven Emerson to IRshad can get on the news and say anything they want and then we have to spend the rest of our lives trying to refute them!!! ironnnnnnnnnnny When I get back from work I'll try to look around and see if I can find something inshaAllah...

ws
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2008 08:54 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

When it comes to wellspoken female muslim academics I am profoundly ignorant. Can anyone recommend names of other sisters (books and youtube videos) who are on par with Sister Dalia.

Dr. Ingrid Mattson is awesome!  Here is a short bio of her.  She recently published a book called The Story of the Quran, which was interesting and more 'readable' than her academic papers.  You can find that on Amazon or pretty much any bookstore.  If you do a search on her name, you can find a number of her talks from ISNA and other conferences and events.

salaam Smiley

Dr. Ingrid Mattson is Professor of Islamic Studies and Director of Islamic Chaplaincy at the Macdonald Center for Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations at Hartford Seminary in Hartford, CT.

Dr. Mattson was born in Canada, where she studied Philosophy at the University of Waterloo, Ontario (B.A. '87). From 1987-1988 she lived in Pakistan where she worked with Afghan refugee women. In 1995 she served as advisor to the Afghan delegation to the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.

During her graduate studies in Chicago, Dr. Mattson was involved with the local Muslim community, serving on the board of directors of Universal School in Bridgeview and as a member of the Interfaith Committee of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago.

Dr. Mattson earned her Ph.D. in Islamic Studies from the University of Chicago in 1999. Her research is focused on Islamic law and society.

Dr. Mattson lives in Connecticut with her husband and two children.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2008 01:41 AM »

Wsalam,

Here are some links on Irshad Manji:

http://www.examinethetruth.com/manjism/Irshad_Manji_propaganda.htm

http://www.psreview.org/content/view/26/72/

http://www.islamicamagazine.com/Issue-13/The-Trouble-with-the-Trouble-Irshad-Manji-and-the-Cost-of-Progressive-Islam.html

It's unbelievable what's out there on her. Western media calls her "the reformer of Islam" and "scholar of Islam" how disgusting. She's on every website from the New York Times, CBS, CNN, ABC, 60 minutes to Richard Dawkins and the Library club. They all praise her to the skies. Just unbelievable.

Kathy ask your friend how she feels about homosexuality as Irshad is openly a lesbian.

Anyway enough slogging through the gutter for one day.

Take care iA
Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2008 07:04 PM »

Assalamu'alaikum,

Dr Sheema Khan, who used to be the chair for CAIR-CAN wrote a rebuttal to Irshad's "The Trouble with Islam"

http://www.muslim-refusenik.com/news/LRCKhan_0312.pdf.

Hope this helps, inshaAllah.
Faizah
Sis

Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2008 11:39 PM »

It's frightening how those who don't represent Islam in it's true light are embraced as the "authorities" on how Islam needs to be altered to be acceptable.   What is even more frightening is when these experts openly lead alternative lifestyles but are actually happy about it and I guess think that more of us should not only accept the existence of homosexuality but should embrace it ourselves as a viable solution in the absence of finding a suitable heterosexual spouse.    Where's the "tossing my cookies" emoticon?  That's what I felt like doing when I spent some time reading one of the progressive muslim websites and realized what they are all about.

Fa'izah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: