// Muslim family in NY Seriously Affected from Gas Explosion- 1yr later
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: On this show, your voice will be heard - in the form of my voice. - Steven Colbert
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Muslim family in NY Seriously Affected from Gas Explosion- 1yr later  (Read 995 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Sep 22, 2008 05:03 PM »

Firefighters Reunited with Family Rescued from 2007 Gas Explosion

Chief Stephen Deloughry of Battalion 12 talks to Duaa (left) and Twka Al Ghaithi as their father,
Rassas Al Ghaithi, hugs Firefighter John Jacovina of Ladder 14. Firefighter Jacovina rescued
Duaa after an explosion tore through their Harlem apartment in October 2007.

Three colorful thank you cards were given to firefighters on August 20 with six words printed in a child’s handwriting: “Thank you for saving my life.”

Duaa Al Ghaithi, 6, wrote them to the men who rescued her in October 2007, after a gas explosion tore through her family’s Harlem apartment. She received internal and external burns covering 60 percent of her body and lost three fingers in the blast, forcing her to spend 10 months in the hospital and undergo grueling physical therapy and several surgeries.

Her sister Lina, 3, was blinded in the explosion and received serious burns, as did her sisters Twka, 5, and Afaf, 1. Her mother, Alouf Hassan, tragically lost her life in the blast.

“Last time I saw you, you were wearing a hat and mask,” Duaa said to her rescuer, Firefighter John Jacovina from Ladder 14. He was among the many firefighters who reunited with her and her family outside their temporary home at the Convent Avenue Family Shelter in Harlem.

She and her sisters, each still wearing nylon compression garmets to protect their skin, showered them with hugs, kisses, high-fives and deep-hearted thank yous.

“This is the best thing anyone has ever done for me,” the girls’ father, Rassas Al Ghaithi, said through a translator, giving each firefighter a long embrace. “I know the work of firefighters is risky, but you should know that you have done something special. You saved my family.”

Firefighters from Ladder 14 also handed him an envelope containing a substantial donation from all the company’s members.

“We can go to 100 jobs and not get to see how things work out,” said Battalion Chief Stephen Deloughry of Battalion 12. “It’s wonderful to see them all here, yet they still have a struggle ahead of them.”

All of the firefighters said they vividly remembered the scene of the explosion at 10 W. 119th St. on October 6, 2007 - each noting that the area was eerily quiet when they arrived and from the street they could not tell where the blast occurred.

The tenants were self evacuating, and as firefighters reached the rear of the building, they found tenants helping two of the girls and their mother, who told them the other two girls were inside.

Firefighter Jacovina and Lt. Thomas Keery (who was promoted in December 2007) found the girls in the rear of the apartment, standing in a void under a piece of sheet rock.

“They didn’t cry, they just stood there with their arms open,” said Firefighter Jacovina, who rescued Duaa.

Other firefighters said they were just as surprised the girls were quiet as they were pulled from the building.

“They were tiny, burned from head to toe, but they weren’t crying or screaming,” said Jermaine Martin of Engine 35. “It’s so good to see they’re doing better now.”

As the girls took turns whispering to Firefighter Jacovina and sitting on his lap, he said, “I always wanted to see them again, see what happened.”

Yet they all noted that they wanted to spread the word about this family so that someone might help them get back on their feet.

Members of Ladder 14 are reunited with Rassas Al Ghaithi and his four daughters in Harlem.
Firefighter John Jacovina (seated) sits beside Duaa (seated, center),
whom he rescued after the explosion.

“They are so grateful. We just wanted to give them a little attention so they could get the help they needed,” said Firefighter Chris Fenyo from Ladder 14, who coordinated the reunion. “They don’t need things, they need financial help.”

Capt. Stephen Marsar of Division 3 added, “We never get to see this part, we always see them at their worst, when they’ve lost everything. I just hope someone will be able to help them.”

As the girls went back inside and Mr. Al Ghaithi said his goodbyes he noted, “Whenever I see my daughters I will remember you.”

Donations to the Al Ghaithi family can be made to the Accident Victims Relief Fund: Al Ghaithi Family, 143 Willis Ave., Mineola, NY 11501.

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2008 05:04 PM »

halfdate.com

Eid Gifts for Duaa & Her Sisters

Duaa, six, and her family suffered serious burns due to a gas explosion a year ago. Many non-Muslims have been gratefully helping them, yet many Muslims in NY don’t know about their case.

Watch this video and help them.

Requests:
A sister has been collecting for them, so we just want to add an Eid gift package for the children $400.

And if you have kids, please ask them to send cards or letters to this family. Of course, make dua!

If you have any questions or comments, you can email lazeena.hosain[AT]yahoo[DOT]com (this is the same email for Paypal, please specify HalfDate Eid Gift, otherwise it goes for general donation)

----------------------------

also plz send thankyou cards to all who helped them including the firefighters
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2008 05:06 PM »

Asalamualaikum

Here is the video. Plz watch

http://www.ny1news.com/content/top_stories/84818/girl-injured-in-harlem-explosion-leaves-hospital/Default.aspx?ap=1&Flash
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2008 05:11 PM »

http://istherefoodonmyniqaab.blogspot.com/2008/09/helping-young-burn-victims-al-ghaithi.html

Saturday, September 13, 2008
Helping Young Burn Victims, The Al-Ghaithi Family

I feel as though I've posted this in 51 different places (which I most likely have!) but I am currently working on a sadaqah project and felt obliged to fill you all in, and hopefully you choose to get involved.

About a year ago a Yemeni family suffered from a natural gas explosion in their apartment, just two weeks after moving in. Wife and mother, Alouf, died as a result, leaving behind her husband and four badly burned daughters. They were all in the hospital and just about a month ago the eldest was released. Finally the family is all together and just moved out of a homeless shelter into a new home. The girls' grandmother came from Yemen to help Brother Rassas (their father, and her son) with the girls. As you can imagine having four ill/disabled/recovering girls under the age of six is a burdening task. 3 1/2 year old Lina is now blind as a result of the fire, and her eldest sister Duaa lost three fingers and wears a nylon compression suit 23 hours a day to reduce scarring on her body which was 60% burned. She had to learn to roll, sit, walk, eat, speak and even breathe normally all over again during her stay at the hospital, subhanAllah.

I was shocked to read Brother Rassas was ONLY 29 years old, subhanAllah. When my husband and I went to visit him and his daughters at the hospital I knew he was young, but not that young. Clearly the grief and worry has aged him physically and I cannot imagine everything going through his mind, on top of that he is suffering from posttraumatic stress disorder. He needs to find a job, his mothers visa is up in November and he is yet to know if she will be allowed to stay. Who will look after the girls if he is at work and she must return to Yemen? They receive nurse visits everyday and have frequent visits to the hospital, some of them have several surgeries they will have to undergo in the future. They lost everything and have to start from scratch, I cannot imagine how many bills have piled up for Br. Rassas, and what not. Nevertheless, right off the bat I saw he was a humble and softspoken brother the day we visited him. He was filled with joy and was excited to take us from room to room in the Pediatrics Intensive Care Unit to see his daughters. He would walk in the kiss them on the head, showing us pictures of how they looked before the blast. It was so difficult to look at the small body laying helplessly on the hospital bed with tubes coming from every possible place, her body covered in vaseline to prevent her burnt skin from drying out, her eyes were closed. "No see," Br. Rassas told us in his poor English, pointing to Lina's eyes. At that point, she had just had her 3rd birthday.

So far my husband and I have collected about $1,1oo.00 for them. We will continue to take donations until the 26th of this month, as we would like to give them this gift for Eid, give or take a day or two. We've received donations from people as big as $200 and as small as $5, even pocket change is acceptable. Just think how much we can gather if people even give just $1. I don't see why people should be ashamed to give that, I would feel ashamed to give nothing.

This is the perfect time, Ramadan, to purify our intentions and do what we can to help the Ummah. This is a family who have no one else to turn to and have been, walhamdulillah, receiving donations from non-Muslims. What about the Muslims? What about the Ummah reaching out to each other? Here is our brother in need, our young sisters learning to cope without the loss of their mother and with new challenges ahead, and we couldn't even give a few dollars to ease their burden? I urge each of you who read this to please give any small amount that you can, and don't just stop there... tell whoever you know. If you tell 20 people and you all give $1, that's $20 right there mashaAllah. We can easily raise a good amount for them inshaAllah.

So what can you do?

First off, if you have any questions or comments, you can email me at lazeena.hosain[AT]yahoo[DOT]com. If you feel this is a little shady, there are people right here on blogger who can inshaAllah vouch for me and HOPEFULLY my trustworthyness =P If not, I can send you their lawyers information and you can send a donation through them. I would hope you would trust the Muslim more though!

Anywho, here are your options:

A) Mail a check to me or a money order, if you email me I will send you my address

B) Send a donation via payal, which is under the same email address I wrote above

C) Send a donation through Western Union

If you think of any other possibility, by all means, let me know. And again, please don't feel lame giving even $2, seriously, it means something. This is an investment in your aakhirah inshaAllah and fulfilling your duties towards your brothers and sisters in need.

And most importantly, please do not forget to keep them in your du'as! If you get involved don't worry, I will keep you updated via email, here, or on facebook, if I have you added, on the status of the project and how much is being collected.

May Allah accept your intentions and actions this Ramadan and foreverrr! AMEEN!
JazakumAllahu khayran

Oh, and please check out this news clip of when Duaa was released from the hospital! : http://www.ny1news.com/content/top_stories/84818/girl-injured-in-harlem-explosion-leaves-hospital/Default.aspx?ap=1&Flash

Article with more detailed information: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20085486&BRD=2731&PAG=461&dept_id=574902&rfi=_

Posted by Umm Yusuf at 11:18 PM   

Labels: Al-Ghaithi, burn victims, charity, donate, help, sadaqah, Ummah

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: