Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Etiquettes of Eid al Fitr  (Read 1484 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2778

I heart the Madina

« on: Sep 30, 2008 10:30 AM »

A nice fwd:

Bis'millah

Last year while I celebrating Eid ul-Fitr in blessed Damascus and listening to khudbah which discussed sunnah of the blessed day of Eid.

In retrospect I realize that other people may also not know of all sunnahs on Eid and therefore I'd like to take this opportunity and share 15 pts from the tradition of our beloved Rasoolullah (salalaho alayhi wasalam) we can all keep in mind

1. There is a hadith, it's considered d3eef (weak) regarding it's isnad (chain) but I feel and think the lesson is there regardless.

"Whoever stands up (in worship) in the nights preceding the two Eids expecting rewards from his Lord, his heart will not die when the other hearts will die." (Ibn Majah)

Therefore to take parts in act of worship the night before Eid is within the Prophetic tradition (salalaho alayhi wasalam) as some sources say he would spend entire night in Qiyam as would his companions (r).

The scholars agreed that it is mustahabb to spend the night before Eid in prayer.
So insha'Allah may we strive to spend the night in ibaadat and celebrating in praise rather than celebrating with different methods that may take us away from barakah and blessing 

2. To arise early in the morning

3. To take a full bath (ghusl) after fajr.
Al-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on him) mentioned that the scholars were agreed that it is mustahabb (recommended) to take a bath before the Eidprayer.

4. Clean your teeth

5. Wear best clothes, even if they be new or old.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) approved of 'Umar's idea of looking one's best (Umar recommended buying Jubbah – long garment), but he rejected and denounced the idea of buying this jubbah because it was made of silk.
Jabir (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) had a jubbah (long garment) that he would wear on `Eidand on Fridays."

6. Wear perfume (for men)

7. Eat breakfast before leaving to Eid ul Fitr prayer.
Hadith narrated by Al-Bukhari from Anas Ibn Malik who said "The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) would not go out on the morning of ` Eid Al-Fitr until he had eaten some dates... and he would eat an odd number." (Al-Bukhari, 953)

It is mustahabb to eat before coming out because this confirms that we are not allowed to fast on this day, and demonstrates that the fast is now over. Ibn Hajar (may Allah have mercy on him) explained that this is to prevent people extending the fast and it also means obeying the commandment of Allah. (Fath, 2/446). If a person does not have any dates, he can eat anything permissible for breakfast.

8. Also there is Eid Takbeerat which should be started and done from Maghrib of the night of Eid to Asr of the day of Eid and especially on way to Eid prayer.

"Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Laa ilaaha illallahu Wallahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar , Wa lillahil Hamd." (Allah is the greatest, He is the greatest. There is no god except Allah. He is the greatest. All praises and thanks are for Him)

This is one of the greatest Sunnahs of this day, because of the words of Allah (interpretation of the meaning): "... (He [Allah] wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you must magnify Allah (say Takbeer - 'Allahu akbar') for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him." [Al-Baqarah 2:185]

9. Go to Eid prayer early

10. Pray in congregation in an open place

11. Listen to khudbah.

It was reported that 'Abd-Allah Ibn Al-Sa'ib said: "I attended Eid with the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), and when he had finished the prayer, he said: "We are going to give a khutbah, so whoever wishes to sit (and listen) to the khutbah, let him sit down, and whoever wants to leave, let him go.'"

Al-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on him) said in his book Al-Majmoo' Sharh Al-Muhadhdhab, p. 23: "It is mustahabb (recommended) for people to listen to the khutbah, although the khutbah and listening to it are not essential conditions of the Eid prayer
Al-Shafa'i said: 'If someone does not listen to the khutbah of Eid, at the time of an eclipse, when prayers for rain are offered, or during Hajj, or he speaks during one of these khutbahs, or leaves, I would not like this, but he does not have to repeat the prayer."

12. Take one route to Eid prayer and another one back.

Jabir Ibn 'Abd-Allah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to vary his routes on the day of  Eid (Reported by Al-Bukhari, 986)

13. Give ZakatulFitr on Eid Day. In US this is usually done before Eid and the cost   estimates to roughly 10 USD per person

14. Exchange greetings and glad tidings upon one another

Jubayr Ibn Nufayr said: "At the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), when people met one another on the day of Eid, they would say, 'Taqabbal Allahu minna wa minka' (May Allah accept from us and from you)."

15. (this one is for POST Eid) but I feel its necessary to add to our list. 6 fasts of Shawwal

Whoever completes fasts of Ramadan then adds to them the fast of six days in the month of Shawwal, it will carry the thawab of fasting for the whole year. (Sahih Muslim)

Inshallah here we can hasten and be persuaded to complete our makeup fasts within this month so that we may also get the blessing of being able to fast 6 additional fasts in Shawwal.

Those are 15 points. If I have made a mistake or misquoted or stated something that is false, I ask for your forgiveness and correction. All information I compiled from above was not found within my personal knowledge but from past teachings and mainly from points I found via internet through islam online, islamicity and soundvision websites.

So for those of us who celebrate Eid tomorrow or the next day, with or without their families, for one or three days, in traveling or at home, regardless of the situation I pray and hope that your Eid isfilled with utmost blessing…ameen

Eid Mubarak,
Taqabbal Allahu minna wa minkum,
Kul 3am wa antum bi'khair

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: