// These Americans think Dolls are preaching Islam to them
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Efficiency: The Prophet said: 'There are two blessings that many people fail to make the most of: good health and free time.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
Poll
Question: Is this because:
They are paranoid? - 5 (83.3%)
The dolls are possessed by Muslim Jinns? - 0 (0%)
Al Qaida has infiltrated the toy industry(Official view)? - 0 (0%)
The story is a fabrication like that TV cooks scarf story used as an excuse to attack Islam for political points? - 1 (16.7%)
Some people are using it as an excuse to get their money back when they ran out of beer money? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: These Americans think Dolls are preaching Islam to them  (Read 1389 times)
cheese
« on: Oct 10, 2008 10:05 PM »

Metro Woman Says Controversial Doll Speaks About Islam
Last Edited: Friday, 10 Oct 2008, 2:18 PM CDT
Created: Friday, 10 Oct 2008, 2:18 PM CDT
Little Mommy Real Loving Baby Cuddle and Coo Doll
SideBar

Related Items
Stories
Doll Pulled from Shelves for Spouting Hate
Links
Blog about this story.
Videos

LIBERTY, MO.  --  A controversial doll which some people hear talking about Islam is staying on Kansas City area store shelves.

The doll is the Little Mommy Real Loving Baby Cuddle and Coo doll. Julie McCubbins called FOX 4 about the doll. She saw it on store shelves at the Liberty Target and said she can distinctly hear it saying "Islam is the light."
Watch Video of the Doll
McCubbins said she bought the doll because of the controversy. She said it may be a collector's item someday.

Steve, a manager at Target in Liberty, said they have no plans to remove it from their shelves. In fact, he has a note in his computer from Mattel, the company that makes the doll, saying it has reviewed the issue and the company is not recalling the doll.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2008 05:32 AM »

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=B6607144A9B442698FBB2586CDCAA107?contentId=7588089&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

When you watch the news cast it seems like the doll is only saying 'Islam is the Light." However the news reports are saying the doll says things about Satan.

David Emery's Urban Legends Blog
By David Emery, About.com Guide to Urban Legends since 1997
My BioMy BlogMy ForumAdd to: iGoogleMy Yahoo!RSSTalking Doll Allegedly Says 'Islam Is the Light'
Friday October 10, 2008
In case you were too busy monitoring the worldwide economic crisis this past week to keep up on the really important news, let me be the first to apprise you that retailers across America started whipping a talking doll off their shelves these past few days after customers complained it was "spouting hate" -- or at any rate that's how it was couched in a report by Fox News Kansas City yesterday.

The doll in question, Fisher-Price's "Little Mommy Real Loving Baby Cuddle & Coo Doll," allegedly repeats the phrases "Satan is king" and "Islam is the light" in addition to all of the standard babbling and cooing you would expect to hear from a talking baby doll.

"There's no markings on the box to indicate there's anything Islamic about this doll," Oklahoman Gary Rofkahr told Fox News in a story headlined "Parents Outraged Over Baby Doll They Say Mumbles Pro-Islam Message."

All of which begs so many questions I hardly know where to begin.

Ear of the beholder

First, does the doll really say those things? You can judge for yourself by listening to one of the many YouTube videos available online, or, if you prefer to go directly to the source, the actual playback of the doll's speech supplied by Fisher-Price's parent company, Mattel, to KJRH-TV News.

Having listened to these recordings over and over myself, I can confidently say I don't hear anything in them that sounds remotely like "Satan is king." One portion of the playback does sound a little bit like "Islam is the light," though to be honest it sounded much more like "As long as the light" to me. An audio expert contacted by KJRH-TV News in Tulsa, Oklahoma analyzed the recording and concluded it sounded most like "It's not near the light."

An important factor to take into account here is the power of suggestion. People tend to hear what they expect to hear (or what they've been primed to hear). In this case, when asked, most folks do say they hear "Islam is the light" -- if they were told in advance what the doll allegedly says. But when KOTV Tulsa reporter Chris Wright put the same question to people without prepping them, they couldn't make out any intelligible phrases at all.

Logic and plausibility

The next question that needs asking is why on earth a major toy company would insert any kind of religious message into a mass-market talking doll, let alone a message as controversial (in some parts of the United States, at any rate) as an affirmation of Islam. It simply isn't plausible. And according to Mattel spokesperson Sara Rosales, it simply isn't true. The Baby Cuddle & Coo Doll only has one scripted word, "Mama," Rosales told Newsday earlier today. The rest of the recording is gibberish, including a fuzzy syllable that "may resemble something close to the word 'night,' 'right' or 'light,'" Rosales said.

Moreover, why would a doll allegedly dedicated to promoting Islam say "Satan is king?"

Answer: it wouldn't.

And lastly, by what stretch of the imagination would uttering the phrase "Islam is the light" constitute "spouting hate"?

Answer: it wouldn't.

An epidemic of evil, trash-talking dolls?

Folks, this is craziness. And you know what? We've seen it before:
Remember when parents all across the U.S. had a hissy-fit in 1998 because they really, truly believed their children's Teletubby dolls were saying "Faggot, faggot, bite my butt"?

And how about the California woman who threatened a lawsuit in 2000 after convincing herself that a Teletubby doll was telling her child "I got a gun, I got a gun, run away, run away!"

Or the woman who complained in 2006 that a Little Mermaid doll called her daughter "a slut."

Or the parent who claimed earlier this year that an Elmo doll made death threats against her son.
Something needs to be done to keep these toys out of the wrong hands . . . adults' hands, I mean, not kids'. They clearly are not safe.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2008 09:48 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

If I were in the States I would buy as many of these dolls as possible for my kids and even future kids Smiley  Even though the doll was not designed to say, Islam is the Light, the response to its gibberish shows how far Islamophobia has spread throughout America.

I hope Fisher Price does not cave in to these hate-mongers by recalling the doll.  In fact, I think they should sue Fox News for spreading fabricated claims that the doll praises Satan.  They always want to make Islam look bad, so if anything is mentioned about Islam, they have to throw the word 'Satan' or 'terrorist' in there somewhere.

In fact, here is a letter I wrote to Fisher Price (cc: comments@foxnews.com, CNN ):

To:  service@mattel.com

Dear Fisher Price,

As a long time customer of Fisher Price products, I write to you in support of your Little Mommy Real Loving Baby Cuddle and Coo doll.  I will encourage my friends to buy as many of these dolls as possible, for their kids and even future kids.

Even though the doll was not designed to say "Islam is the Light," the response to its gibberish shows how much Islamophobia is used by certain media outlets to attract attention throughout America.  Islam teaches belief in the afterlife, One God, kindness to children, and being kind to parents and society.

I hope Fisher Price does not cave in to these hate-mongers by recalling the doll, since it is a product from a company that I as a Muslim American trust.  In fact, I think Fisher Price should sue Fox News for spreading fabricated claims that the doll praises Satan.

Again, thank you for your excellent products.  I and millions of Muslim Americans stand by your company and your products in the wake of this bigotry that you are facing.

Best Regards,

Oh Allah, Lord of the Universe, guide the people of the West and save us from the harm of those who seek to harm us!

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
cheese
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2008 10:24 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb Abdurahman

You took the words right out of my mouth, or should I say finger tips. I came on to this thread to write that but you beat me to it.
I really want one of those dolls, I can’t buy more than one because I’m really stingy.
I really hope they sell them here.
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2008 02:51 AM »

asak
I went to Target today and they are still on the shelves. They are so cute... I bought 2- one as a gift and another to make some money for the library.
Shopping the rest of the store was hilarious.. 2 baby's cooing and saying "Islam is the light." it was precious. It seems very clear to me...but perhaps because I am a Muslim?
As the clerk was ringing them up he had a knowing smirk and was enjoying them. But he didn't say a thing. it seemed like he wanted to- but just was amused to see 2 Muslims purchasing these dolls. A little girl was ahead of me and she just fell in love with them. I couldn't help but wonder if her 'fitra' was stimulated...
I hope I don't get pulled over before i get them delivered- From the trunk you can hear their cooing and babbling.
I don't hear anything satanic.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: