// Anyone wanna share recipies?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: I wonder where Bart is, his dinner's getting all cold... and eaten. - Homer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone wanna share recipies?  (Read 4943 times)
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« on: Oct 13, 2008 02:50 AM »

Winter is coming on and I'm a major casserole lover.
And with 2 boxes of apples I just picked from the trees in my yard,
I need to find other things to use them for besides pies and apple sauce.

Has anyone made any apple butter?
I may make some apple/walnut bread tomorrow.

For the sisters who live in climates that get cold in the winter or working moms and wives,
how about recipes one can throw in one crock pot or casserole dish?
I just love to bake and cook.
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2008 03:37 AM »

Come on sisters, help me out here,
I have so many apples and no clue what to do with them all,
I can hardly eat a ton of apples sauce and apple pies.
Anyone have any ideas for uses for all these apples? Huh?
I got apples like some folks have zucchini or tomatoes. Roll Eyes
umm ibraheem
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
umm ibraheem has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2008 04:40 AM »

Asalaamu alaikum,

I like slicing up apples and dipping them in melted chocolate and coconut, and refridgerating Smiley but I guess you can only do that with so many.

Can you freeze apples?
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2008 10:33 AM »

salam

Apple pickle, seriously.

I prefer the indian style one tho, and for best results use bitter apples, I'll dig up a recipe for them if you dont mind spicy food.... I so wish I lived near you. sigh

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2008 10:27 PM »

I've got a good crock pot recipe.  My mother's mother's side of the family was Hungarian so I've got a great recipe for Hungarian Goulosh:

Add the ingredients in the crock pot in this order:

1 TBSP oil
1 large sliced onion
1 to 2 pound of stew beef
salt to taste
1 can tomato sauce (I put 2 because I my kids like the sauce)
1 HEAPING TBSP paprika (yes that's right)
dash of cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicy)

Cook all day and serve of wide egg noodles.

My kids love this.
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2008 09:28 AM »

salam

Mmmmm slow cooker recipes, everything works with a slow cooker and you can eat it with fresh bread and you come home to a house smelling of foooood, and I should have had breakfast....

Sr Rahma, do you brown the meat first?

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2008 10:08 AM »

salam

why don't you give some of the apples to neighbours/friends.

wassalam
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2008 11:17 AM »

Sr Rahma, do you brown the meat first?

Nope.  Just pile it all in there...

Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2008 02:21 PM »

slaams sis
i find the bbc food site great when looking for recipies for specific ingredients.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/recipes/queryengine?templatestyle=refine_by_1_gg&orig_kw=apple&config=db&scope=recipes&page=1&pagesize=15&attrib_26=keywords&oper_26=eq&val_26_1=%2Bapple&attrib_2=programme_name&oper_2=eq&val_2_1=&attrib_3=chef_name&oper_3=eq&val_3_1=&attrib_12=healthy&oper_12=eq&attrib_13=quick&oper_13=eq&attrib_10=vegetarian&oper_10=eq

Link for Apple

tk
maryamarub
Sis

maryamarub has no influence :(

VERILY ALLAH IS WITH THOSE WHO ARE PATIENT

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2008 01:15 PM »

ASA sisters sis
here's one
Onion-Potato Soup

Main Ingredient: Potatos

1   tsp   butter
2   clove   garlic
1   number   large onion
1   number   medium potato
1/2   number   piece ginger
   to taste   Salt and pepper
1   number   small spring onion
1/2   tsp   sugar
       Chop the spring onion finely and keep aside. Crush both garlic and ginger.
Chop the potato and onion into large pieces. Pressure cook till soft.
Blend in a mixer till smooth. Sieve
In a pan heat the butter. Add the ginger and garlic and fry till light brown.
Add the chopped spring onion and stock (prepared above).
Add salt, pepper and chili sauce as desired.
Serve steaming hot with soup sticks.
maryamarub
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2008 01:19 PM »

ASA sis
heres another I found on the bbc food site

LAMB SAMOSAS
Ingredients
2 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
300g/11oz lamb, finely chopped or minced
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
salt and freshly ground black pepper
100g/4oz peas (fresh or frozen)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
5 sheets of filo pastry, measuring 25cm/10inx50cm/20in
1 free-range egg, beaten

Method
1. Heat sunflower or olive oil in a frying pan. Add the lamb, onion and ground spices. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook for about ten minutes without a lid until the lamb is just cooked and the juices from the lamb have evaporated from the pan.
2. Add the peas and mix well.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chopped coriander and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper again to taste. Set aside for a minute to let the lamb cool.
4. Lay the filo pastry out on a clean board and cut in half lengthways, then in half once more widthways, so that you have four rectangles from each whole sheet. Cover all the pieces of filo with a barely damp tea towel (to prevent them from drying out).
5. Place one sheet of filo pastry lengthways in front of you. Pile a dessertspoon of the lamb
mixture onto the end closest to you. Roll the pastry from the end closest to you,
once, then fold in both the long sides and then roll over and over, away from you,
into a little parcel. Brush the finishing edge with a little of the beaten egg to seal
and then place on a baking tray. Brush the finished samosa with beaten egg and
repeat the process until no pastry and meat remains.
6. These can be prepared earlier in the day up to this point and chilled in the fridge.
7. To cook, place the baking tray with the samosas into an oven preheated to 220C/425F/Gas 7 for 10-12 minutes until golden brown in colour.

Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2008 12:39 AM »

The potatoe/onion soup sounds yummy. Grin
maryamarub
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2009 09:38 AM »

salam sis

can someone pls help and tell me the english names of the ingredients in blue

NAWABI BIRYANI
 Main Ingredient: mutton
325   grams   Basmati rice
1   piece   Cinnamon
5   number   Cloves
1   pinch   Coriander/Pudina, chopped As required
1/2   cup   Curd, beaten
   to taste   Dry fruits
1   tsp   Garam masala
   to taste   Ghee
1/2   tbsp   Ginger-garlic paste
3   number   Green cardamom
5   number   Jardalu
1/4   cup   milk with Saffron
500   grams   Mutton, cut in pieces
3   number   Onions, sliced
5   number   Pepper
3   number   Red chilies
1/2   tsp   Shahjeera
1/2   tsp   Turmeric powder
       •   Fry the dry fruits & apricots in 2½ tbsps. ghee with a little salt to taste.
•   Now grind the fried onions and red chilies to a fine paste.
•   Marinate the mutton pieces with curd, ginger-garlic paste, onion paste, turmeric powder and salt.
•   In a pressure cooker heat ghee, add the marinated mutton and pressure cook till done.
•   Heat ghee again in another vessel, add the whole spices, fry for a while and then add the washed rice.
•   Add salt, warm water so that comes 1½ inch above the rice and cook till the rice is done.
•   Remove, spread out to cool and remove the whole spices.
•   Now to assemble, apply ghee to a heavy bottomed vessel, add the cooked mutton and sprinkle little garam masala.
•   Cover with a layer of rice, followed by a melted ghee and then the saffron milk.
•   Lastly, add the fried nuts, cover tightly and keep on dum for 15-20 minutes.
•   Mix and serve hot garnished with chopped coriander & pudina.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2009 10:22 AM »

salam

Pudina is fresh coriander

Garam Masal = allspice but in england is sold as garam masala (basically a mixture of hot spices all ground up) in the indian food section

Jardalu = now I always thought these were dried apricots!

Shahjeera = black cumin seeds

Wassalaam

maryamarub
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2009 11:47 AM »

salam,
thnx alot sis
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2009 04:56 AM »

rahma what size tomato sauce cans? the soup sized ones or the big ones?

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: