Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Never have I dealt with anything more difficult than my own soul, which sometimes helps me and sometimes opposes me. -Imam Al-Ghazali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commentary: So what if Obama was a Muslim or an Arab?  (Read 803 times)
umm ibraheem
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
umm ibraheem has no influence :(

« on: Oct 14, 2008 04:33 AM »

This is a first! Read the article or watch the video.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/13/campbell.brown.obama/index.html#cnnSTCVideo
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2008 08:06 PM »

salaam

JazakAllah for posting. Its nice to know Campbell from CNN said that.

Well who is behind the Obama smears? It turns out the man who started the false rumor that Obama 'is a Muslim' also seems to be anti-Jew.
Read More:
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/campaignmatters/369472
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/1014081andymartin1.html
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2008 10:20 PM »

I watched the video, and I applaud Campbell Brown.

However, It was a little scary watching the clip of the McCain rally.  This woman stands up and says, but Obama's an Arab, he's an Arab.  McCain comes over to correct her.  But instead of saying something like, no, he's not an Arab, so what if he was..., he says something like, no he's not, no he's not, he's a decent, hard working, upstanding American.  The implication being that Arabs are something opposite  of decent hardworking Americans.  Angry Not cool.
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2008 11:16 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

Yes thanks for sharing this.

On so many levels the whole comment/response between McCain and the woman were wrong.  Not only is there the suggestion that Arabs aren't all those things McCain says Obama is but it also continued the misconception that "all Arabs are Muslim and all Muslims are Arab" - guess none of them have ever seen a video of hajj nor ever actually visited a masjid other than the "select few" that are dominated by only one group and certainly have never read up on the global statistics of Muslims.

There has always been some "negative focus" in politics - particularly the presidental election.  There was a time that if a candidate didn't adhere to the 'right" Christian denomination he was scrutinized; if a man wasn't married he was scrutinized; female or racial minority candidates were immediately deemed unqualified and not taken seriously.  Now we have a strong contender who is bi-racial and while that makes some people uncomfortable they are willing to overlook that to an extent but only because they can latch on to "but he's Muslim" as the rationale for questionning his integrity and abilities not to mention his loyalities to the US.

No matter how much I try to escape politics it seems to be everywhere.

Wasalaam

Fa'izah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: