// Tess of the D'urbervilles (2008)
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Beware of extremism in religion, since those before you were only destroyed by extremism." - Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tess of the D'urbervilles (2008)  (Read 4417 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Oct 17, 2008 03:25 AM »

salam,

Started watching this because the lead (Tess) is played by Gemma Arterton (sp?) who played Elizabeth in Lost in Austen. I thought she did her little part so well wanted to watch this.

So I watched the first episode and it's just so gosh darn depressing  :'( Poor poor girl so then I read the synopsis and apparently it just get's worse for her. Really I couldn't deal with it anymore. (There's also a rape scene that is particularly disturbing). I like a sad movie every so often sure as the next person but this is like disturbing depressing sad. Sooooooooooooo this is why we love Jane Austen and not Thomas Hardy. Life is depressing enough. My recommendation on this one... pass.....unless you want to cry for 4 days and be depressed for a long time after too.

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2008 10:24 AM »

salam

Have you never read the book, its utterly hideous from start to finish, depressing, too long, the heroines are used abused and discarded, and it ends horrendously.

Stick to Austen.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2008 03:12 PM »

we're american we don't read!  oldshaykh we watch the film adaptations  Cheesy but yeah this was like evil preying on innocence 10x throughout and evil always wins! they could have tried to change the story a bit or make it more a triumphant kind of thing where she gets her revenge, but it's just blech. jane austen isn't going to work i'm gonna have to watch like Anne of Green Gables (all three movies) to regain the equillibrium of good and evil in the world again. Grin
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2008 04:54 PM »

Stick to Austen.

And Georgette Heyer Smiley I wish they'd make films out of her books...though maybe not because even near-perfect film adaptations are rare.

I'd heard a lot about Tess of the D'urbervilles and people kept recommending it so I went on Wikipedia  Roll Eyes to check it out and yeah, it didn't seem worth reading.
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2008 01:53 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum,
Strangely, it was one of my favorite books in HS, not necessarily for the content, but the writer's style. Hardy *is* enormously depressing, but undoubtedly can spin a good yarn. Smiley
Haven't seen the film though, but had an unforgettable "mind movie" about it, so any film about it will fall short.
Btw--there's an Indian movie loosely based on this book, which I can't remember now, but this was years ago.
BTW again -- after rereading about a year ago (am I sick, or what?), I discovered that the author had tried out another ending, but decided with that one. Not sure why since [SPOILER ALERT] how often does the main character get hacked off? Hated that.
Sorry, had to mention that as the main negative for me.

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2008 05:35 AM »

salams,

Maybe it was so sad and depressing he realized that a happy ending would just not go with the story Smiley I think there's a happier story by Hardy called "Under the Greenwood Tree" that could possibly be a more interesting read. I saw the movie once and thought it was kind of cute, but not that interesting alas, but it might be better to read.

I read one of Georgette Heyer's novels on recommendation of someone and thought it was funny and well written but still followed a too ' sugary typical perfect-romance plotline'.

Oh I looked up the India one. It had Madhuri in it! (but looks just as depressing as the BBC one)

PremGranth (1996)

Professionally qualified as a lawyer, Somen lives a wealthy lifestyle with his mom, Parvati, and dad, Dharam Bhushan, who presides over the town of Shripuri as an upper caste Hindu Priest. During the Dassera fest, Somen meets with village belle, Kajri, and falls in love with her despite of the fact that she is of a much lower caste. After seeking his mom's permission, he goes to bring Kajri to meet her, but finds out that she has left for an unknown destination. Unable to stand his dad's hypocrisy and Bhagwan Shri Ram's temple being misused by Kedar Nath, Somen leaves home to go to the city but is unable to get Kajri out of his mind. A year later he returns home to the same fest, but is still unable to locate Kajri. When his dad insists that he marry Kedar's daughter, Somen not only refuses but leaves home to go and stay with his paternal uncle, Nandlal, who runs a Dairy farm. This is where he meets with Kajri and both rekindle their romance. Somen returns home, convinces his mom initially to approve of Kajri, and is pleasantly surprised to find that even his dad has given his approval. On the day of the marriage, Somen's world is turned upside down when his dad accuses Kajri of being a woman of ill repute as well as an unwed mother. The question remains: Are Bhushan's allegations true, and if so, will Somen accept Kajri now, or will he reject her and marry Kedar's daughter?
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2008 08:15 PM »

salam

I saw that film, years ago, it has a horrendous begining, however  it is given the bollywood treatment, and the heroine is given her justice and her happy ending.

Spoiler alert
~~~~~~~~~

Tess is executed, and angel (or whatever his name is) takes up with her sister, even before shes met her end, how perfectly dreadful is that, and what a typical man. you can just see her sisters life going a similar way!!!

awful awful awful.

I've never picked up a Hardy novel since.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2008 08:40 PM »

wsalam,

that's the same ending as the bbc version and the book. Tess's younger sister represents the 'innocent version of herself' before everything happened to her and Tess is the one who asks Angel to take care/marry her younger sister. she represents Tess before everything that happened to her, so he's not really to blame. you get the idea that their life will be what Tess/Angel's was meant to be way back when they first met so it's meant to be a tragic/ironic/redemptive ending.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: