Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collin Powell Endorses Sen. Obama for President (read what he says about Muslims  (Read 2739 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Oct 19, 2008 04:55 PM »

Powell endorses Obama for president
Republican ex-secretary of state calls Democrat ‘transformational figure’
 Oct. 19: Appearing on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” former Secretary of State Gen. Colin Powell endorses Sen. Barack Obama for president.

BREAKING NEWS
msnbc.com and NBC News
updated 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - Former Secretary of State Colin Powell endorsed Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., for president on Sunday, criticizing his own Republican Party for what he called its narrow focus on irrelevant personal attacks over a serious approach to challenges he called unprecedented.

Powell, who for many years was considered the most likely candidate to become the first African-American president, said in an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that he was not supporting Obama because of his race. He said he had watched both Obama and his Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, for many months and thought “either one of them would be a good president.”

But he said McCain’s choices in the last few weeks — especially his selection of Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska as his vice presidential running mate — had raised questions in his mind about McCain’s judgment.

“I don’t believe [Palin] is ready to be president of the United States,” Powell said flatly. By contrast, Obama’s running mate, Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, “is ready to be president on day one.”

Powell also said he was “troubled” by Republican personal attacks on Obama, especially false intimations that Obama was Muslim and Republicans’ recent focus on Obama’s alleged connections to William Ayers, the founder of the radical ’60 Weather Underground.

Stressing that Obama was a lifelong Christian, Powell denounced Republican tactics that he said were insulting not only to to Obama but also to Muslims.

“The really right answer is what if he is?” Powell said, praising the contributions of millions of Muslim citizens to American society.

“I look at these kind of approaches to the campaign, and they trouble me,” Powell said. “Over the last seven weeks, the approach of the Republican Party has become narrower and narrower.”

In an interview Sunday on Fox News, McCain said he was not surprised by the announcement.

“I’ve always admired and respected General Powell,” said McCain, who cited the endorsements he had received from former Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger, Alexander Haig, James Baker and Lawrence Eagleburger. “We have a respectful disagreement.”

Bolstering Obama’s international credentials
Powell, a retired Army general who was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under the first President Bush before becoming secretary of state in the current administration, is one of the most highly decorated military officers of modern times and an admired figure in both parties. The Obama campaign is likely to cite the endorsement as an answer to critics and undecided voters who have questioned the foreign policy credential of Obama, a first-term senator whose national experience amounts to four years in the Senate.

Powell said a major part of his decision to turn his back on his own party was his conclusion that Obama was the better option to repair frayed U.S. relations with allies overseas.

“This is the time for outreach,” Powell said, saying the next president would have to “reach out and show the world there is a new administration that is willing to reach out.”

In particular, he said, he welcomed Obama’s president to “talk to people we haven’t talked to,” a reference to Obama’s controversial pledge to hold talks with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

“I think that [Obama] has a definite way of doing business that will serve us well,” Powell said.

Won’t campaign for Obama

As recently as a month ago, Powell said that electing an African-American president would be “electrifying” for the world but that he remained undecided. The unsteadiness of the Republican campaign in recent weeks, especially on the economic crisis, went a long way toward pushing him off the fence, he said.

“It isn’t easy for me to disappoint Senator McCain as I have this morning,” said Powell, who emphasized that he would not campaign for Obama because of his admiration for McCain’s long record of service in the military and in Congress.

But as he examined both campaigns in the last few weeks, he said, he became “concerned” that “in the case of Mr. McCain, he was a little unsure how to deal with the economic problems.”

“Every day, there was a different approach,” he said, adding that he also “would have difficulty with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court.”

McCain would be a good president, Powell said, but Obama is “a transformational figure” who would be an “exceptional” leader.

“I truly believe that at this point in Amserica’s history we need a president who will not just continue ... basically the policies we have followed in recent years,” he said. “We need a president with transformational qualities.”

For that reason, he said, “I will be voting for Barack Obama.”

By Alex Johnson of msnbc.com
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2008 05:08 PM »

the video:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp=27265490&#27265490
Faizah
Sis

Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2008 07:09 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

Thanks for posting this.  Quite a switch for Powell to endorse Obama since Powell aligns himself with the Republicans (which I found odd to begin with).

Fa'izah
CountlessBlessings
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
CountlessBlessings has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2008 08:06 PM »

Assalamu alaikum,
I thought his statement on Islam and Muslims is absolutely earthshattering, coming from such a public figure.  I know he was instrumental in the starting of the war on Iraq but I do have newfound respect for him now.
Certainly overshadows palin on SNL doesn't it.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2008 12:41 AM »

Barack on Colin Powell's Endorsement

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/obamaroadblog/gGg3mJ

I like how Obama sais that just bc u dont support the war doesnt mean you are not patriotic
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2008 12:47 AM »

salaam

Sister Faizah many hardcore republicans are siding with Obama bc they do not like the tactics Mcain is using on him. They are very low. Also arent sure about his judgement anymore bc he appointed Sarah Palin for vice president.

the chicago tribune which is a hardcore republican newspaper, is for the first time in history endorsing a democrat. So even some of those who voted for Bush in 2004 are endorsing Obama this yr.

This ofcourse does not mean Obama will win. Because there are too many people in which the scare tacti. cs are working. And there are many people who think america is 'safer;' now. the robocalls are not helping. they actually work with a lot of people. there are many people who are still very promcain. the only way we can change this is getting informed and starting to talk to people about it in the workplace, schools ect. we need to open up the subject.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2008 03:43 AM »

Colin Powell Invokes Image Of Fallen Soldier
 October 19, 2008 03:29 PM

Colin Powell has officially endorsed Barack Obama for President. But the big news is that this was not even his most important endorsement of the day. As it turns out, the most important thing endorsed by Colin Powell today was an America that's worth leading and worth fighting for, an America that encapsulates the idea of what some might call a "more perfect union." To that end, Powell invoked a picture to illustrate his point.

"Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer is no. That's not America. Is there something wrong with a seven-year-old Muslim-American kid believing he or she could be president? Yet I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion that he is a Muslim and might have an association with terrorists. This is not the way we should be doing it in America.

I feel particularly strong about this because of a picture I saw in a magazine. It was a photo essay about troops who were serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. And one picture at the tail end of this photo essay, was of a mother at Arlington Cemetery and she had her head on the headstone of her son's grave. And as the picture focused in, you could see the writing on the headstone, and it gave his awards - Purple Heart, Bronze Star - showed that he died in Iraq, gave his date of birth, date of death, he was 20 years old. And then at the very top of the head stone, it didn't have a Christian cross. It didn't have a Star of David. It has a crescent and star of the Islamic faith.

And his name was Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan. And he was an American. He was born in New Jersey. He was fourteen years old at the time of 9/11, and he waited until he could serve his country and he gave his life."

This is the picture of Elsheba Khan, taken by Platon for the New Yorker:

So, yeah. Sometimes, America does benefit when we share our wealth with one another. And some people, in fact, do have it harder than Joe The Plumber.

(Go to the link to see the pic  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/19/colin-powell-invokes-imag_n_135977.html
cheese
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2008 02:22 PM »

Killings
Dead man and child. Photo by Ronald L. Haeberle
Dead man and child. Photo by Ronald L. Haeberle
“    Some of the people were trying to get up and run. They couldn't and fell down. This one woman, I remember, she stood up and tried to make it — tried to run — with a small child in her arms. But she didn't make it.    ”

—Army photographer Ronald Haeberle[16]

Charlie Company landed following a short artillery and helicopter gunship preparation. The Americans found no enemy fighters in the village on the morning of March 16. Many soldiers suspected there were NLF troops in the village, hiding underground in the homes of their elderly parents or their wives. The U.S. soldiers, one platoon of which was led by Second Lieutenant William Calley, went in shooting at a "suspected enemy position".[citation needed]

After the first civilians were killed and wounded by the indiscriminate fire, the soldiers soon began attacking anything that moved, humans and animals alike, with firearms, grenades and bayonets. The scale of the massacre only spiraled as it progressed, the brutality increasing with each killing. BBC News described the scene:
“    Soldiers went berserk, gunning down unarmed men, women, children and babies. Families which huddled together for safety in huts or bunkers were shown no mercy. Those who emerged with hands held high were murdered. ... Elsewhere in the village, other atrocities were in progress. Women were gang raped; Vietnamese who had bowed to greet the Americans were beaten with fists and tortured, clubbed with rifle butts and stabbed with bayonets. Some victims were mutilated with the signature "C Company" carved into the chest. By late morning word had got back to higher authorities and a cease-fire was ordered. My Lai was in a state of carnage. Bodies were strewn through the village.[1]    ”

Dozens of people were herded into an irrigation ditch and other locations and killed with automatic weapons.[17] A large group of about 70 to 80 villagers, rounded up by the 1st Platoon in the center of the village, were killed personally by Calley and by soldiers he had ordered to fire. Calley also shot two other large groups of civilians with a weapon taken from a soldier who had refused to do any further killing.

Members of the 2nd Platoon killed at least 60–70 Vietnamese people, as they swept through the northern half of My Lai 4 and through Binh Tay, a small subhamlet about 400 meters north of My Lai 4.[2]

After the initial "sweeps" by the 1st and the 2nd Platoons, the 3rd Platoon was dispatched to deal with any "remaining resistance". They immediately began killing every still-living human and animal they could find, including shooting the Vietnamese who emerged from their hiding places, and finishing off the wounded found moaning in the heaps of bodies. The 3rd Platoon also rounded up and killed a group of seven to twelve women and children.[2]

Since Charlie Company had encountered no enemy opposition, 4th Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, was moved into its landing zone between and attacked the subhamlet of My Khe 4, killing as many as 90 people. U.S. forces lost one man killed and seven wounded from mines and booby traps.[2]

During the next two days, both battalions were involved in additional burning and destruction of dwellings, and in the mistreatment of Vietnamese detainees. Most of the soldiers had not participated in the crimes, but neither protested nor complained to their superiors.[18]
“    "I would say that most people in our company didn't consider the Vietnamese human".

Colin Powel was part of that unite and Colin Powel was in charge of the white wash to make sure no one was punished. Colin Powel has a lot of Muslim blood on his hands too. So I don’t see it as an honour that he said some good things liked by Obama and his supporters.

[Edited by Admin: Please do not disparage other Muslims who are dead.]

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2008 06:25 PM »

salaam

during the time of the prophet pbuh wasnt there a time when a man did horrible things to Muslims but then he was forgiven. I cant remember the story?

The fact that Colling Powell mentioned this about Muslims IS  a good thing because its a TRUE thing and since he metnioned it it will get all around America and open peoples eyes. and if u read the blogs and comments u will notice that it has opened peoples eyes. It needed to be said. Now that it is said by someone 'big' it will be eazily said by others.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2008 06:29 PM »

McCain Camp Manager: Colin Powell Not Equipped To Make Political Predictions
  October 20, 2008 08:47 AM

When asked on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program Monday for his reaction to Colin Powell's endorsement of Barack Obama, John McCain campaign manager Rick Davis called into question the political acumen of the former Joint Chiefs chairman and Secretary of State.

"Look, I doubt if Colin Powell is equipped to do a whole lot of political prognostication," Davis said, dismissively, adding: "That's what you guys do, right?"

It was perhaps a snarky throwaway line, but it could be seen as a slight to the man McCain himself has described as one of the "most credible, most respected" men in the world.

Davis was certain to add the de rigeur testimony to Powell's service, saying: "He is a great American and served this country with great distinction. What his views are on the political scene are completely up to him."

McCain's campaign manager also addressed the issue of bringing up Bill Ayers, which Powell has criticized as "demagoguery."

"John McCain tried to point out how people should be informed about Barack Obama's background, including his relationships with domestic terrorists like William Ayers. People are going to form these judgments. It's great fodder for us to debate every day. I think it's fun," Davis said.

When asked about Powell's sharp criticism of McCain's handling of the economy, Davis oddly lumped in Joe Scarborough with the "Joes" trying to carve out a middle class living. "I think John McCain has continued to talk about it -- where working class people all around the country, the Joes of the world, whether they are Joe like the Talk Show Host or Joe the Plumber -- but the Joes around the country are working hard, earning a living and trying to be the generators of economic progress in this country."

Davis did give the Obama campaign some credit for their $150 million fundraising haul in September. "That is a 'wow' moment. No question about that. It's an enormous amount of money," Davis said.

Then he alleged, however, that "enough questions have been raised by the media" that all of Obama's small donors should be disclosed online. "He's got great geeks working on the website. They ought to have them get to work saying I'll put up on a website all my donations."
cheese
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2008 07:59 PM »

"during the time of the prophet pbuh wasnt there a time when a man did horrible things to Muslims but then he was forgiven. I can’t remember the story?"

There is a difference between "did", and "doing". In the case of Powell, it is "doing". He was a mass murdering war criminal when he took part in the murder of Vietnamese babies and the rape of Vietnamese girls, he continued to be one when he killed Muslims in the first gulf war and he is one now as he has give full support to the murder, rape and torture of Muslims now.

“The fact that Colling Powell mentioned this about Muslims IS  a good thing”

No it is not.
It is anything but. If my post wasn’t edited you would have seen why.
I will reword what I say in a way acceptable to the moderators so you can see why not.
The person he mentioned as a good American Muslim was some one who killed Muslims.
Some one who took part in that illegal war to kill his brothers.
Well I don’t see that as a good thing.
If you cut away the spin the substance of what he said is “there are good American Muslims, they kill their brothers for us”.
I don’t think that is a good thing for us. It may be a good thing for the Zionist Obama, but not for us.

“ it will get all around America and open peoples eyes.”
Yes that is why he said it. So people who want Muslims dead will know they can vote Obama and Muslims will still be killed as Muslim killers like Powel support Obama.
From his example of that man who died killing Muslims, people will know that even if Obama is Muslim it doesn’t matter because he would be a Mulim killing Muslim like that soldier who will gladly kill his brothers for a pay check and some medels from the Jewish controlled government.

Obama isn’t Islam. Obama is just some one going in to elections to try and take over management of the genocide being perpetrated against us by a Zionist government.
Just as if he was Muslim wouldn’t make any difference to Powel, because Powel believes being Muslim wont stop Obama from killing Muslims, like that soldier who died killing Muslims. I believe the same, but with the conclusion, Obama and Mckane are two sides of the same Israeli coin.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2008 09:42 PM »

here is a difference between "did", and "doing". In the case of Powell, it is "doing".

no he is not doing anything right now, he has been resigned for a while.

From his example of that man who died killing Muslims, people will know that even if Obama is Muslim it doesn’t matter because he would be a Mulim killing Muslim like that soldier who will gladly kill his brothers for a pay check and some medels from the Jewish controlled government.
dIDNT jANNAH tell you NOT to do this?Huh?? Isnt this why she edited your post???

To be honest Im tired of the fact that you are NOT being banned after all the posts she has had to edit. And just now you repeat what she edited. I know when a nonmuslim would come here back in the days.. if she only had to edit twice they would be banned. And I know people have been banned here who werent even close to spreading the hate that you are.

And I know its not just me, there are alot of people in this board that are tired of your posts. when they c ur name they cringe from what hateful words you might be writing. People who are regulars here have told me this. Definately has to have the word 'kill' 'zionists' 'jihad' You have been very racist, rude, have spread alot of lies. And have said bad things about religious groups and scholars.

People are turning away from this board because of you. It is not fair to the people who are trying to promote good and learn to have to see your hate filled posts.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2008 10:05 PM »

oh yah there is line when it comes to difference of opinon. I think me and many others can say that there is no 'opnion' here but a lot of false stuff and hate towards certain groups and people.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2008 04:29 AM »

“We applaud Mr. Powell for stating so eloquently and forcefully what should have been said long ago by public officials and candidates for elected office,” said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. “His statement gives hope to American Muslims who have been disheartened by rising levels of anti-Muslim bigotry in this election cycle.”

Last week, CAIR noted the increasing religious and ethnic bias in political campaigns and called on Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama to repudiate anti-Muslim and anti-Arab bias during the final presidential debate.

SEE: Muslim Group Asks Candidates to Reject Islamophobia in Debate

As examples of that bias, CAIR cited a recent controversy over Sen. McCain’s declaration that his opponent is a “decent guy” after a campaign rally participant called Sen. Obama an “Arab.” The Washington-based group also noted the false claim that the Illinois senator is a Muslim and an incident in which Muslim women wearing Islamic headscarves were barred from an Obama rally photo opportunity in Michigan.

CAIR said American Muslims are particularly concerned about the recent distribution, possibly funded by a foreign entity, of 28 million anti-Muslim DVDs to voters in presidential swing states nationwide.

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2008 04:36 AM »

Dawud Walid, assistant imam at Masjid Wali Muhammad in Detroit, said he was pleased by Powell’s remarks.

“Gen. Powell’s remarks are what the Muslim community have been waiting for from the GOP leadership this entire election,” Walid said.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081019/NEWS15/81019019/
AbdulBasir
Bro

Reputation Power: 8
AbdulBasir has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2008 12:17 AM »

salam

Surprise, now they are calling Obama a socialist. "Muslim", non-white, *and* "socialist", classic. That just about covers the bogeymen for the last 50 years...

Colin Powell has always been overrated, and I never understood why people hold him in such high esteem. He finally got something right, for once...
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2008 08:25 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

I think this is a good chance to repost the response to those emails circulating about Islam and Obama.  Feel free to send this out to your mailing lists, inshaAllah it will help remove alot of stereotypes about Islam.

Dear Friends,

I hope you will take a moment to read my response to an e-mail
I received regarding Islam and Senator Obama that is currently circulating
on the Internet.  I hope it will help dispel the many stereotypes out there about Islam.

Thanks

CAN MUSLIMS BE GOOD AMERICANS?

The email says:  " This is very interesting and we all need to read it from
start to Finish......... and send it on to anyone who will read it"

My response:  I hope you will take the time to read the Quran for yourself;
here are the first verses that were revealed:

096.001 Read!  In the name of thy Lord and Cherisher, Who
created- Created man, out of a (mere) clot of congealed blood:
Proclaim! And thy Lord is Most Bountiful, He Who taught (the use
of) the pen, Taught man that which he knew not.

"Maybe this is why our American Muslims are so quiet and
not speaking out about any atrocities."

Islam teaches about the afterlife, and that all people will be
held accountable in front of God.  All injustices will be tried
in God's Court.  As Muslims, we keep patient for the hereafter
and God's justice.

"Can a good Muslim be a good American?"

Islam teaches people to believe in the afterlife, and to have
good morals and family values, and to be kind to others.  That
was Prophet Muhammad's character, peace be upon him.  Perhaps
this is why many Americans are choosing Islam as a way of life
and as a source of spiritual guidance.

"This question was forwarded to a friend who worked in
Saudi Arabia for 20 years."

If Saudi Arabia is such a bad place, why did your friend choose
to live there for 20 years?  I know many Americans who work in
Saudi Arabia and enjoy the hospitality and generosity of the
people there very much.

"The following is his reply:
Theologically - no. . . . Because his allegiance is to
Allah, The moon God of Arabia ."

There is only One God of the universe, the God of Abraham, the
One who created all of us, and unto Whom we shall return.  The
word 'Allah' is derived from the same root as 'Eloh' in Aramaic,
which simply means 'God'.  Muslims believe in the God of Abraham,
Moses, and Jesus, son of the virgin Mary.

"Religiously - no. . . . Because no other religion is
accepted by His Allah except Islam (Quran, 2:256) (Koran)"

This verse is not in the Quran.  Here is verse (2:256) from the
Quran:

002.256 Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out
Clear from Error: whoever rejects Evil and believes in God hath
grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And
God heareth and knoweth all things.

"Scripturally - no. . . Because his allegiance is to the
five Pillars of Islam and the Quran."

The main teachings of Islam are to believe in:

1. God, there is only one God

2. His angels, such as Gabriel, the angel who brings revelation.

3. His Books, such as the Torah, Gospel, and Quran, in their pure
unadulterated forms.

4. His Prophets, such as Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and
Muhammad, peace be upon them all.

5. The Day of Judgment and the afterlife, since we must all
depart from this world.  God will establish perfect justice in
the afterlife.

6. Destiny, that all things happen for a reason.

"Geographically - no . Because his allegiance is to Mecca ,
to which he turns in prayer five times a day."

The earth belongs to God.  We are only guests here.  Islam
teaches us that our ultimate aim is for the afterlife, and that
this world is perishing.  Our goal is to come to God in the
afterlife with pure hearts.

"Socially - no. . . Because his allegiance to Islam forbids
him To make friends with Christians or Jews."

The companions of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him,
sought refuge with a righteous Christian king in Ethiopia, and
lived peacefully there for many years.  The Prophet married a
Jewish woman named Jawairia.  The Quran refers to Christians and
Jews as 'People of the Book', a benediction that indicates they
are also nations based on Divinely revealed scriptures.

"Politically - no. . . Because he must submit to the
mullahs (spiritual leaders), who teach annihilation of Israel and
destruction of America , the great Satan."

Islam teaches us to keep patient for the afterlife, and seek
God's justice.  It is not for us to punish, and seek greatness on
the earth.  God will hold all people accountable in the
afterlife.  There is no clergy in Islam.  People are given
honor by virtue of their knowledge alone.  Muslims follow the
people of knowledge, not those who speak out of whims and
desires.

"Domestically - no. . . Because he is instructed to marry
four Women and beat and scourge his wife when she disobeys him (Quran
4:34)"

Islam honors women; she is not an object of lust to be exploited
by society for sexual gratification.  Men and women are
spiritually equal and have complementary roles in Islam.  Islam
teaches compassion between the sexes, and they are not seen as
competitors in a gender battle.  The Quran teaches: "The most
honorable of you with God is the one with the most piety."

Most Muslim men have only one wife, and rates of divorce are much
lower in Muslim society than in the West.  More people commit
adultery in Western societies than people who marry more than one
wife in Muslim countries.  The hijab that Muslim women wear is to
promote purity in society and prevent her from being molested by
criminals, and it is akin to the veil worn by the virgin Mary,
may peace be upon her.  For more about Muslim women, click here:

http://www.jannah.org/sisters/

"Intellectually - no. . . Because he cannot accept the
American Constitution since it is based on Biblical principles and
he believes the Bible to be corrupt.  "

Islam encourages Muslims to strive for the afterlife and live by
the law of the land.  God sent His revelation to humanity to
guide them and benefit them and make things easy.  We accept what
He revealed, but we do not agree that everything attributed to
Him is always so.  Many religious leaders of the past changed the
revelation for a small worldy gain.  This is not acceptable.  We
need to listen to the callers to truth and put our material
interests aside.

"Philosophically - no. Because Islam, Muhammad, and the
Quran does not allow freedom of religion and expression. Democracy and
Islam cannot co-exist. Every Muslim government is either dictatorial or
autocratic."

Islam came to make things easy for the people.  Guidance is clear
for those who seek the truth and desire the success of the
afterlife.  We make mistakes, but God is oft-forgiving.  Islam
teaches that everyone is free to choose his religion, but this
practice should be balanced with the right of society to be free
from harmful conduct.  Thus the rights of the individual are
balanced with the rights of society.  In the afterlife,
individuals will be judged by their good intentions and how much
effort they made to adhere to the truth.

"Spiritually - no. . . . Because when we declare 'one
nation under God,' the Christian's God is loving and kind, while Allah
is NEVER  referred to as Heavenly father, nor is he ever called love
in The Quran's 99 excellent names.  "

There is only One God of the universe.   The declaration,
"In the Name of God, Most Loving, Most Merciful"
appears 114 times in the Quran.  Muslims are taught to deal kindly and justly with their
neighbors, and to love for others what they love for themselves.
In fact, one of God's beautiful names in Islam is 'The Loving.' 
To read more about God's most beautiful names, click here:

http://www.islamicinvitationcentre.com/articles/Comparative_Religion/God/Allah_attributes.html

"Therefore after much study and deliberation.... Perhaps we
should be very suspicious of ALL MUSLIMS in this country. - - - They
obviously cannot be both 'good' Muslims and good Americans."

In the afterlife, all people will be judged in front of God, the
Most Merciful.  If someone is filled with hate and rejects the
truth, and does not want to learn, he only does so to his own
detriment.

" The religious war is bigger than we know or understand. .
... And Barack Hussein Obama, a Muslim, wants to be our
President? You have GOT to be kidding!"

All of the leaders will be accountable in front of God, in the
afterlife.  They should bear in mind that they cannot escape
death.  Search the earth for the kings of the past nations. 
Where are they now?

"Obama even says if he wins the election, he will be sworn
in on the Quran---not a Bible."

Perhaps this person is confused with some of Obama's ancestors, who were
Muslim.  To learn more about the Quran, click here:

http://www.jannah.org/qurantrans/

Those who seek out the truth, and turn to God for guidance, He
will purify them, and grant them success and happiness in the
afterlife, eternal bliss in the highest abode.

I pray that all good Americans will search for the truth, and learn about Islam, and the afterlife.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message.  Now that you have learned the truth, please do your part and pass it on, and help make the world a better place.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2008 11:41 PM »

Muslim-American voices heard in presidential race

By Ashley Fantz
CNN

(CNN) -- Muslim-Americans say they are more interested than ever before in the political process, in part because their religion has been reduced to a talking point in the presidential campaign.

Fatema Biviji, in white by sign, poses with members of the grassroots organization she founded in Texas.

1 of 3  Like many other Americans, the estimated 2.3 million Muslims living in the U.S. have been hurt by a limping economy, a problematic healthcare system and an unclear immigration policy. And the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have also hit close to home.

Fatema Biviji, 32, had never given much thought to politics until she received an e-mail earlier this year that said -- falsely -- that Sen. Barack Obama is a Muslim. The Internet hoax, its origin unknown, was apparently intended to tie Obama to terrorism and swing support to his opponent, Republican Sen. John McCain.

"I was so mad," Biviji said. "The premise of that e-mail is that a person's religion should decide a person's character.

"We're America, the melting pot, the land of diversity, and that Americans would be buying into that psychology [of the e-mails] was upsetting," said the New Jersey-born Muslim, whose parents are from India. "The e-mail offended my American ideals."

Obama has stated repeatedly that he is a Christian and emphatically pledged his patriotism.

Biviji began to research Obama and could relate to his international background, his years in Indonesia as a young man, and his father's Kenyan roots. And his views on the issues aligned with hers.

Don't Miss
Poll: Most believe McCain attacks on Obama unfair
Poll shows race to the White House may be tightening
Commentary: Joe the Plumber vs. Colin Powell
McCain, Obama go head to head in last debate
So she began chatting with members of her community in Irving, Texas, encouraging people to register to vote and become more active. She began blogging about the presidential election and formed a grass-roots organization with about 100 members who have helped register dozens of people to vote, she said. Her blog is featured on Obama's campaign Web site.

But Biviji said it hasn't always been easy for Muslim-Americans to support candidates who don't usually seem to support them.

"Neither candidate has visited a mosque," said Ahmed Rehab, the executive director of the Chicago chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a civil liberties and advocacy group. "It might not be a gesture that's the politically right thing to do, but it's the morally right thing," Rehab said. CAIR has registered thousands of Muslim voters across the country.

He said he was approached by one of the major parties to run for office this year. But he decided against it.

"If you have one guy [Obama] who has a Muslim father that he really never knew and who isn't a Muslim being hounded, then imagine a guy like me who works so publicly in support of rights for Muslims," said Rehab. "I'm not sure I want to go through that."

But Asma Hasan, a 34-year-old from Colorado who writes the blog "Glamocracy" for Glamour magazine, said she thinks Muslims are more likely to jump into the political fray. "I think people tend to be more open to different points of view now than they were before," she said. "It's not a perfect environment, but it's getting better."

Her brother Mohammad Ali Hasan, 28, is Muslim and Republican.

He is running for a Colorado state Senate seat.

"If I don't win, it's not because I'm a Muslim," he said, laughing. "It will likely be because I'm a Republican."

Asma Hasan said it can be a challenge sometimes to reconcile being a Republican and being a Muslim.

"A lot of this election is about the Iraq war, the GOP's support for the war and ultimately how we handle that war now," she said. Several younger voters have e-mailed her about her blog items filed from the campaign trail with thoughtful, substantive political comments and questions. They are excited about the election and they plan to vote, she said.

"But that's the beauty of politics because it doesn't matter what your religion is or your cultural background or who your family is," she said. "You make decisions on who to vote for based on a lot of different factors -- not just one. And I think people are interested this year. There are definitely a lot of younger people, and a lot of younger Muslims, who are going to vote."

Asma Hasan echoed Rehab's frustration about the occasional fumbles of the candidates toward the Muslim community. She pointed to a June incident at an Obama rally.

Two women were told not to sit behind Obama because they were wearing head scarves. Campaign volunteers thought it would would look bad if the women were seen behind the candidate in a photo or on television.

The Obama campaign quickly apologized, and a campaign spokeswoman said that the incident was not reflective of Obama's message, according to the New York Times.

More recently, a woman at a McCain rally in Minnesota stood up and faced the candidate. She said she doesn't support Obama because "He is an Arab." McCain shook his head and replied, "No ma'am, no ma'am."

Former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, a Republican, endorsed Obama for president on Sunday, praising Obama as a candidate who is "inclusive." Powell said he had heard members of his own party suggest that Obama is a Muslim.

"What if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country?" Powell said. "No, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some 7-year-old Muslim kid believing that he or she can be president?"

Powell made the endorsement on NBC's "Meet the Press" and went on to say that he was disturbed by recent attacks the McCain camp had lobbed at Obama.

"It troubled me. We have two wars. We have economic problems. We have health problems. We have education problems. We have infrastructure problems. We have problems around the world with our allies. So those are the problems the American people wanted to hear about, not about [1960s radical William] Ayers, not about who is a Muslim or who's not a Muslim," Powell told reporters after the endorsement.

"Those kinds of images going out on Al-Jazeera are killing us around the world," Powell continued. "And we have got to say to the world, it doesn't make any difference who you are or what you are. If you're an American, you're an American."

"That was over the top. It was beyond just good political fighting back and forth," he said. "And to sort of throw in this little Muslim connection, you know, 'He's a Muslim and, my goodness, he's a terrorist' -- it was taking root. And we can't judge our people and we can't hold our elections on that kind of basis."

After Powell's announcement, McCain told Fox News he considered Powell and himself "longtime friends" and that he respected him.

Powell also referred to a photo essay from a magazine featuring a photo of a mother resting her head on the tombstone of her son at Arlington National Cemetery. The tombstone lists the soldier's awards, including a Purple Heart, that were earned in Iraq. The solider was Kareem Khan, a 20-year-old Muslim from New Jersey.

The soldier's father, Feroze Khan, said he wants to personally thank Powell for his statement.

"All my son wanted to do was serve his country," he told CNN. "Since he was a boy, he wanted to be in the Army. That was his dream. That's the only thing he ever wanted."

"It was not about how he was Muslim, it was about who he was and what he stood for," Feroze Khan said. "He told me, 'I am going to fight for my faith, not against it.'"

Feroze Khan doesn't want to talk about politics. What the candidates say about his religion is of little importance to him. His son defined what he believes in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: