// Have a good tagine or stew recipe?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: My son, when you pray, do it like a person who is bidding farewell to this world, and don�t assume you will have another chance to pray again. My son, know that a believer dies in between two deeds, one he offers for today, where he will get immediate blessings, and the second deed is what he offers towards the day of resurrection, and that is where he will gain the ultimate benefits - Muadh Ibn Jabal (radiAllahu anhu)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have a good tagine or stew recipe?  (Read 1840 times)
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« on: Oct 23, 2008 03:01 PM »

As-salaamu alaykum,  (yes, I realized I should move my post from the sisters to this folder...)

I have some root veggies, pumpkins, squash.
Anyone have a good tagine recipe?
Come on, people, I know there are some Moroccans on this site and my veggies will stay awhile, but I'm hungry!    fez

Jazaakum Allahu khayran,
sofia   sis

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2008 07:59 PM »

wsalam,

what about some couscous with that stuff steamed on top? seems like that's how they make it?
shareislam
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
shareislam has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2008 10:02 AM »

Salam Alaikum-
Well i'm not Morrocan just a lover of cooking and good food. Here is the recipe I use from recipezaar.com, which seems pretty authentic. The only change is that I cook the couscous according to the package directions. You don't have to make the sweet onion topping but it does make it extra good.

Moroccan Ramadan Couscous With Meat and Veggies Recipe #216759

by Dasha
2 hours | 2 hours prep

SERVES 6

Spices
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
1 pinch saffron
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon coriander
Stew
2 lbs lamb or chicken
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 onion, chopped
4 cups water
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 red bell pepper, minced
2 carrots, quartered
1 zucchini, quartered
1 yellow squash, quartered
1 medium potato, peeled and quartered
1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas
Caramelized Onion Topping
1 onion, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Couscous
2 cups dry couscous
3 cups water
4 teaspoons chicken base
1/4 cup butter
Mix all spices in a dish and set aside.
Chop meat into large chunks. Heat oil. Brown meat on all sides for 5 minutes.
Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 more minutes.
Add water, spices, and tomato sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add carrots and potato pieces. Cook for 10 minutes.
Add zucchini and bell pepper to stew. Cook for 20 minutes.
Add the chickpeas and cook last 5-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare onion topping. Sauté onions to a light brown color.
Add rest of topping ingredients and cook till caramelized and bubbly. Set aside.
Boil the water for couscous. Add chicken base and butter.
Add couscous. Make sure this is the last part of the recipe you make.
Once the couscous is added, leave it alone for 5 minutes.
Fluff couscous with fork. Time to eat!
Serve any way you like. I plate the cousouse and top it with as much or as little stew as I want. Then I add the vegies that I want and top it all off with the sweet onion/raisin topping.

Enjoy
Stephanie
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2008 05:05 PM »

As-salaamu alaykum, and thank you!
I tried a modified version of it (didn't have all the ingredients at the time). Great stuff.
Jazaakum Allahu khayran,
sofia

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: