// Former Army Muslim Chaplain James J. Yee now a Delegate andObama Supporter
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Employment: The Prophet said: 'Pay the laborer his due before his sweat dries.' (Sunan Ibn Mâjah)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Former Army Muslim Chaplain James J. Yee now a Delegate andObama Supporter  (Read 994 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Oct 24, 2008 10:38 PM »

salaam he was the one that wrote that book right on guantanamo?
----------------------------------------------------
Once Spying Suspect, Yee Now A Delegate

Print this article   
Send to friend 
21/05/2008

By The Associated Press

OLYMPIA — A former Army Muslim chaplain at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, who was cleared of spy accusations is now a Democratic National Convention delegate pledged to Sen. Barack Obama.

Former Capt. James J. Yee was among the delegates who were elected by precinct representatives Saturday at the party's 9th Congressional District convention at North Thurston High School in Lacey, Thurston County.

Others chosen at the gathering were Zach Smith, a former supporter of ex-Sen. John Edwards who is now pledged to Clinton, and Natalie Stevens, an alternate pledged to Obama.

Yee, a West Point graduate, was accused in 2003 of being part of a spy ring at the U.S. prison for suspected terrorists in Guantánamo Bay. He spent 76 days in solitary confinement before being exonerated, and later resigned from the Army with an honorable discharge.

Yee now lives with his wife and daughter in Olympia, where he was assigned before and after his ordeal.

The experience left him as "living proof that civil liberties have been eroded since 9/11," Yee told The Olympian on Monday.

He said that during the gathering Saturday, "I came out and basically reiterated that Sen. Obama is really the only candidate that consistently campaigns on rejecting torture without exception, on closing Guantánamo Bay, restoring habeas [corpus] and adhering to the Geneva Conventions."

SOURCE: Seattle Post Intelligencer

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2008 10:43 PM »

Will the Democrats allow Muslims to be out and proud for Obama? Former Army chaplain James Yee's presence at the convention will be a test of sorts.

By Danny Westneat

Five years ago, Yee, an Army chaplain of Muslim faith, was shackled and tossed into solitary confinement for 76 days because the U.S. government felt — wrongly — that he was a terrorist sympathizer and spy.

Now the Olympia man is here, ready to cast his vote as part of the Washington state contingent for Barack Obama.

His story is a useful reminder, he says, of the danger of America chucking aside civil liberties.

But his presence at the convention, which opens today, is also a test of sorts. Will the Democrats allow Muslims to be out and proud for Obama? Even one who was once under a cloud of treason, vilified as a traitor at the time by some leading Democratic politicians?

How far have we come since 9/11, anyway?

"There is some worry that I might be a lightning rod," Yee said Sunday. " 'Accused terrorist spy is national delegate for Obama,' " he intoned, imagining how Fox News might broadcast his story.

Yee, formerly a chaplain at Fort Lewis, is something of a celebrity at the convention. Fox, PBS, The Washington Post all have called. It's because of what happened to him at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, back when America was gripped in a war-on-terror fever.

Yee was no radical. A West Point grad, he was deeply committed to both his Muslim faith and the military — "serving both God and country," he says. He voted for George W. Bush in 2000.

Then he was sent to Gitmo in the fall of 2002, to minister to prisoners and be an unofficial Muslim spokesman for the U.S. military.

By the spring of 2003, though, he was objecting to the treatment of detainees and the "anti-Muslim hostility" that he says pervaded the place. He felt it came down from the top — from the "you're either with us or against us" doctrine that he now describes as "a terrorist mentality."

Some intelligence officers suspected Yee of conspiring with the enemy, and he was arrested that September.

Spying, espionage, mutiny and sedition — all were alleged by the government. Infamously, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y. — whom Yee will probably meet at this convention — said Yee's arrest was proof that al-Qaida had infiltrated the U.S. military.

"Basically, they said I was a traitor," Yee says.

The case fell apart almost immediately. Eventually all charges were dropped, and in 2005 he quit the Army with an honorable discharge.

Post-traumatic stress

But along the way he got treated as an enemy combatant by his own country. He was forced to wear blackened goggles and earmuffs. Today, he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and gets psychiatric treatment at a hospital in Tacoma.

He is blunt about why it all happened.

"Some of it is because I challenged the system at Guantánamo," he said, "but most of it was because I am Muslim."

So now, in 2008, does he feel welcome in American politics?

It is not far from Yee's mind that the Obama campaign in the spring asked two women wearing Muslim head scarves to move so they wouldn't appear in the TV shots of the crowd behind him.

But Yee says he got active in politics after quitting the Army because he feels Muslims must "speak up, volunteer and engage," or continue to be marginalized.

"I can see why Muslims wanted to go underground after 9/11," Yee said. "But I have found that if you speak up in politics you can have a positive influence."

Obama credited

As for Obama, Yee chalks up the head-scarf controversy to zealous campaign aides. Obama, a Christian, has been trying to dispel rumors that he's Muslim without appearing to run from Muslims in the process.

Yee said Obama has long ties to Muslim and Arab communities in Illinois and has been "by far the strongest advocate for following the Geneva Conventions, for habeas corpus, for following the Constitution for everyone and for reaching out to all faiths."

When he says this, we are sitting outside what's billed as the first-ever "interfaith" event for a Democratic convention. We listen as Christians, Jews, Buddhists and, yes, Muslims, openly profess their faiths.

Then there's a reading from the Quran, the same book Yee says he saw desecrated, as a form of psychic abuse, at Guantánamo. It's a passage about how the true nature of righteousness is more about compassion than "whether you turn your face towards East or West."

Yee taps the passage.

"That they'll now read from the Quran at a national political convention — that shows we have come a long way in this country," he says.

"That I'm here — that shows it, too."

SOURCE: Seattle Times
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2008 05:51 PM »

As for Obama, Yee chalks up the head-scarf controversy to zealous campaign aides. Obama, a Christian, has been trying to dispel rumors that he's Muslim without appearing to run from Muslims in the process.

Says a lot about him as a person.

"That they'll now read from the Quran at a national political convention — that shows we have come a long way in this country," he says.

Maasha-Allah.  Allah is Great!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2008 06:21 PM »

Yusuf Yee now a delegate!!! Wow what irony. I'm so happy  bebzi

ws
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: