Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

O rishta, rishta, wherefore art thou my rishta.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reading books online  (Read 2626 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jan 09, 2008 05:05 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Apparently Amazon has recently come out with this new ebook reading device (kinda like an iPod for books) which allows you to download books, papers, magazines etc to your trusty handheld machine.

I was wondering...would you read a book on a device as opposed to the original?

I remember travelling on the tube reading and always carrying a book with me whereas a handheld could have made life a tad simpler.

Imagine being able to access some great Muslim books at the scroll of a wheel?

Yay or nay do you think?  bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2008 04:19 PM »

wsalam,

I've seen some of the different systems that they're selling now, but I just can't get used to the idea. I've read many books online, and even books that I've read before years ago, but it just isn't the same! I think a book might even last longer just sitting on someone's bookshelf even though the digital format seems more permanent it is so easy to lose, or your hard drive goes bad, or your disk or the system goes obsolete. Also, a book you can hold in your hands and flip the pages. Reading online you have to scroll which changes the whole thing and even if they make fake pages it'll be too big and heavy to be exactly like a real book. Also a book you can kind of toss when you're done or put it on the floor or fall asleep with it without having to shut down!!

So yeahhh I'm all for books! But I do see the advantages of an online system. Every book is right there available at your fingertips. It's probably a lot cheaper, more stuff is available in many different languages. You don't have to truck to the bookstore or library. Yes it could be a good thing. I think I'd do what I do now. Read certain stuff online, but for real favorites or classics I get the book. Perhaps one day everything will be like that, and the "book form" of something will be like an antique or special collectible item!

ps brkhalid u could always lose a book on the tube but what if u lost ur handheld!
siddiqui
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2008 04:42 PM »

peace be upon you

Dont you think there would be more fatigue (eye strain) reading a big fat book on a hand held than propping a book up. I think a refrence manual or brief look up kind of stuff more conveneint on a hand held. Talking of which what hand held (pure not a combo with a phone) would you prefer Bro Khalid/Jannah cauz I am planning to buy one for work myself.

:wsalam:
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2008 03:54 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

I guess going to electronic formats is good from a "go green" perspective.  And of course it would be much easier to carry a small device around than a book.  However, I have to agree that disadvantages exist as mentioned.  I'm also concerned that having books in an electronic format gives forth too much control to others to decide which books should be available and for how long, such that if it were decided that a book shouldn't be read it would vanish in a flash or if someone altered what was written, who would notice.   Also let's think about the economic factor.  Book stores would become a thing of the past, as would libraries which would mean people out of business or jobs.  Or what about getting deeply engrossed in a book in e-format and having the device you are using needing recharging and thus shutting off just at a good part of the book.....

I can't even get used to the idea of books on tape.  There's nothing like holding a book, appreciating its exterior especially well made books, the sound of first opening and getting to the center of a new hardcover book , new book smell, wondering how they get the gold edging on pages without ruining the pages themselves, noticing the small typographical or grammatical errors and wondering how they were missed (okay I can get real deep sometimes). 

Give me books any day.

If I'm not mistaken this was something also mentioned in 1984; I may need to go check a book to be sure.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
cat
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
cat has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2008 06:41 AM »

slm

not really the same as a hand held device but we have this subscription option at work where you have book excerpts (of your choice of subject) emailed to you so you get an idea about new books that are hitting the shelf.  Anyway, i never have the time to read them and even if i print it it's just not the same as a good old fashioned book.

I'll stick to the good old fasioned book in the hand anyday  niqabisis
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2008 09:18 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

There's no doubt there are pros and cons on both sides here but with a handheld if you get held up somewhere you can always just take it out and carry on reading whereas you may not have your book with you at the time.

I haven't been looking to closely into actual devices (yet) Bro siddiqui but I would probably suggest some books are more suited to the online format than others.

Maybe in the future you can get your handheld equipped with WiMax, download the latest posts from the Madina to your device and read them on the train before getting in to work?  Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2008 07:05 AM »

This was amusing especially as we're talking about it Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading Jane Austen on a BlackBerry -- Reader, I Liked It

It is a truth too rarely acknowledged, that a commuter in possession of a sophisticated electronic device, must be in want of a good book.

Put another way, free of the influence of Jane Austen's famous first sentence, I just read "Pride and Prejudice" on my BlackBerry.

And, reader, I liked it. Against all my own prejudices, all my own pride in the history and tradition of the printed word, I liked it.

I liked holding it in one hand, having it always with me, and customizing my fonts and screen color. I liked reading it on the train without advertising my tastes; I could have been reading "Tropic of Cancer" or "The Firm."

I really liked reading it in bed without the encumbrance of a book light.

I liked it all so much, I've moved on to Austen's "Persuasion" and am, frankly, halfway annoyed at having to take time away from that to write this. What comeuppance will the vain spendthrift Sir Walter receive, and will his deserving daughter Anne find satisfaction?Blackberry

I hadn't expected to fall so easily under the spell of the e-book.

Like most English majors -- and like most of the book-buying public, still -- I had scoffed at the idea of a novel translating to digital format. Reflexively, and over many waves of e-books being touted but failing to catch on, I insisted that only i-books would do.

CONTINUED: http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/technology_internetcritic/2007/10/reading-jane-au.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: