Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 17, 2014 07:32 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: What's in a name? That which we call a zahra. By any other name would smell as shariah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Stories from Sisters on Health Care  (Read 1515 times)
Saleem.Nida
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Saleem.Nida has no influence :(

« on: Nov 03, 2008 02:06 PM »

Sisters,
I am looking for stories of experiences with healthcare providers that can be used to teach them better cultural competency.  (More specifically with women; or pregnant women as I work in maternal and child health)  For example, my boss tells a story to her nurses (she teaches medical anthropology) of a nurse who tried to pick a praying man off the floor because she thought he needed help....

Stories like this will help providers see how clueless they are when it comes to culture/religion and also teach them the proper way to work with patients of other cultures.

Im hoping to develop a small Chicken Soup like booklet which will be left at the local hospitals here in Albany, NY to help provide some education. You dont have to be from NY to share a story (like you do for the survey). Please just reply here with your stories....JazakAllahkhair.
Melissa
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Melissa has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2008 05:35 PM »

Hmmm....Let me think for a moment...Ok.

I was at the doctors office and the nurse or medical assistant took me to the room, and she got the gown out for me, and said to change and put that on. I waited, expecting her to leave, but she didn't, and stayed in there, waiting for me to change, filling out a paper, and asked why I didn't change. Well, it doesn't matter if I'm covered or not, she shouldn't be expecting anyone to take their clothes off with her in the room! Then she starts asking why am I wearing a scarf, and I said I'm a Muslim. And she asks what god I believe in, and I said there is only one God, it's the same God as the Jews and Christians, and she asks again, no, Muslims call it something else, and so do Christians, they call God, Jehovah. I told her It's the same God, and Allah is the Arabic name for God and even Christians in Arab speaking countries call God Allah. Then she left. She was a bit pushy and rude about it. I don't mind people asking, but, I was quite put off by her expecting me to change in front of her. I don't know why I didn't, but I should have made a complaint. I don't think she could have been a nurse..must have been an assistant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: