Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Makkah Mosque to Have Room for 500,000 More After New Expansion  (Read 5687 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« on: Jan 09, 2008 05:35 AM »

Makkah Mosque to Have Room for 500,000 More After New Expansion
P.K. Abdul Ghafour, Arab News

JEDDAH, 9 January 2008 — The coming expansion of the Grand Mosque in Makkah, ordered by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah, will facilitate the accommodation of an additional 500,000 worshippers, according to Makkah Mayor Osama Al-Bar.

“This is one of the largest development projects related to the Grand Mosque and will change the face of Makkah,” said Al-Bar. The expansion will create more prayer space on the northern and northwestern parts of the mosque, he added.

King Abdullah ordered the expansion last Saturday. Prince Miteb, minister of municipal and rural affairs, said the project would include the construction of pedestrian tunnels and service stations.

The royal decree covers expropriation of real estate on the northern and northwestern sides of the mosque, covering an area of 300,000 square meters. “Special committees have begun estimating the value of real estate in the area,” Miteb said.

As many as 1,000 properties in the area called Shamiya and Shubaika will be demolished as part of the expansion project and the government has allocated some SR6 billion as compensation. Informed sources said the demolition of old buildings in the area would be completed within 60 days so that the new project could begin.

According to the mayor, the new project will cover the area beginning at Masjid Al-Haram Street and Gazza on the east to Jabal Al-Kaaba Street and Shubaika Graveyard on the west. It will also run through Abu Sufyan Street, Raquba, Abdullah ibn Zubair Street, Shamiya, Jabal Hindi, Khaled ibn Walid Street and Shubaika reaching Jabal Kaaba Street, Al-Bar said.

“New pedestrian tunnels linking the northern areas with the mosque’s new courtyard will be constructed as part of the project,” he added.

The first major expansion of the mosque in modern times was ordered in 1925 by King Abdul Aziz, the founder of Saudi Arabia. King Fahd initiated the mosque’s largest expansion in 1989, increasing its prayer area from 152,000 to 356,000 square meters.

The total area of courtyards around the mosque is estimated at more than 40,000 square meters, which can accommodate at least 100,000 worshippers.

On Monday the Shoura Council recommended additional budget allocations for the Presidency of the Two Holy Mosques in order to help it extend better services to pilgrims during Haj and Umrah seasons and conduct scientific research pertaining to the two holy mosques.

The Shoura also called for conducting a study on installing sunshades on the mosque’s roof and its surrounding courtyards. It also proposed the installation of new electric stairs on the northern side of the mosque up to the roof in order to help the faithful pray there during peak times; it also called for the modernization of machinery and equipment at the mosque and the Kaaba Cover Factory.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2796

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2008 03:52 PM »

wsalam,

Wow so very soon it will be the kabah kaba a huge mosque around it and then huge tall skyscraping hotels. What happens if they need to expand more? And what about the royal residence building that is so close and overlooks the haram? Question: why don't they just add a third floor or is this architecturally scary, but then again nothing seems scary to those architects in the middle east Wink I should put up those pictures of future Makkah again. Amazing. Perhaps we should all go asap and then go in 10 years just to see how its changed!

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2008 04:07 PM »

Here's some pictures of the proposed plan:

a_desert_rose
Sis

Reps: 5

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008 11:44 AM »

Oh no!!  Angry They've already spoilt Madinah with its five star hotels surrounding the Prophet's mosque, and now Makkah too! What I love about Makkah is its dusty streets and old buildings. It has such a lovely feel to it. These new buildings make the area completely impersonal and give it a commercial and tourism-type atmosphere.

Expand the haram by all means, but please don't let in the five star chain hotels. I was really upset last time we went to Makkah because there was this crumbling old castle/fortress on top of a small mountain in the area we stayed in which was truly beautiful, and it's not there any more. Now they're building luxury apartments there instead.

Sorry about the mini-rant oldshaykh

Wassalam
a_desert_rose

a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008 11:49 AM »

I just realised the article says nothing about luxury hotels  Roll Eyes

Alhamdulillah, the expansion will help our Umrah and Hajj experiences, I remember we used to be packed liked sardines come Jumu'ah prayer...fun times Smiley

But seriously, I hope they don't do the same to the Makkah Haram as has been done to the area surrounding the Prophet's mosque...

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2008 09:34 AM »

Salams,

Just saw this.

Wow and we just thought it was Makkah. Check out a proposed model of what Madina will look like. YIKES where is the green dome................... whereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee see the flat tiny square buildings that's the haram! can u imagine... subhanAllah

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2008 07:35 AM »

Islam's holiest city set for 130-skyscraper redevelopment

* The Guardian,
    * Thursday May 29 2008

The holiest city in Islam is to get a £6bn facelift, it was announced yesterday, with homes and hills being flattened to make way for hotels, apartments, shopping malls and transport facilities for pilgrims. Six development projects ordered by the Saudi monarch, King Abdullah, will transform Mecca, which struggles to accommodate the millions of Muslims who pour into the city every year to perform hajj.

The biggest change will be to the courtyards of the Grand Mosque, which can hold at least 100,000 worshippers during prayer times. An ambitious expansion programme has led to the demolition of 1,000 properties in the immediate Shamiya area and Saudi authorities have set aside an estimated £80m to compensate the homeowners.

There will also be a new residential district to the south-west of the mosque. Construction firms have begun to level hills to create a 230,000 square metre area that will include high-rise apartments and air conditioned prayer facilities for up to 120,000.

A new ring road, four kilometres (2.5 miles) long and 80m wide, will ease congestion and link to the Jeddah highway, while a project to the south of the mosque will increase prayer space from 1,170 to 30,000 square metres and provide parking space for more than 1,000 cars.

But Irfan Al Alawi, the founder and former executive director the Islamic Heritage Research Foundation, said: "It's the Manhattanisation of Mecca. The Saudis want to build skyscrapers. The worry is that as they level hills and mountains they will destroy sites of cultural interest."

A report by the Saudi British Bank, one of the kingdom's biggest lenders, estimates that £15bn will be invested by local and foreign companies in construction and infrastructure in Mecca in the next four years. Up to 130 new skyscrapers are anticipated, including the Abraj Al Bait Towers, a seven-tower project that will be one of the largest buildings in the world, with a 2,000-room hotel, a 1,500-person convention centre, heliports and a four-storey mall that will house hundreds of outlets.

The pilgrims already have the opportunity to stop at Next, TopShop and Starbucks in between their religious rituals.

For developers, Mecca is a concrete business investment, with the guarantee of millions of visitors each year. The world's estimated 1.4 billion Muslims are obliged to complete hajj once in their lifetime if they have the means to do so. Last year up to 4 million people completed hajj, with millions more visiting during the rest of the year.

Next week Mecca - which is strictly off limits to non-Muslims - will host a three-day conference on the importance of dialogue with other religions. The event, to be opened by King Abdullah, will feature scholars and academics from the Islamic world.

a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2008 07:19 PM »

There we go.....

I wish there was some way we could protest against it, but those developers know we'll be there year after year no matter what they do....I suggest boycotting the shopping malls, show them we're not there as tourists and we're no fools..

It's so ironic how Western countries are so protective of their heritage sites and they attach so much value to them whilst Makkah and Madinah, whole cities that have so so much history embedded in them are being transformed into bland and characterless places through "facelifts".

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: