// Seen/Heard any Backlash after Obama Won?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen/Heard any Backlash after Obama Won?  (Read 1072 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Nov 06, 2008 07:37 PM »

Asalamualaikum

Here in the South side there was a man with a mask carrying a knife and hammer at one of the malls
----------------------------

A New York Muslim was beaten by a gang  shouting 'obama'
Gang angry at Barack Obama win beat me, says Staten Island teen
BY EDGAR SANDOVAL and ALISON GENDAR
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Thursday, November 6th 2008, 12:09 AM

Tracy for News

Ali Kamara said gang of four screamed "Obama!" before attack.
A black Muslim teenager said he was beaten on Election Night by four white men furious that Barack Obama was elected the nation's next President.

Ali Kamara, 17, was walking home when four white men leaped from a gold car and started kicking him and smashing him with a baseball bat at about 10 p.m. near his Staten Island home.

"I see the car coming. They looked at me and said, 'Obama!' They were not happy. They had hoodies on. They started hitting me with bats and my body started vibrating," said the Curtis High School, S.I., student.

Kamara said he tried to cover the back of his head, and broke away from his attackers. He managed to jump over a neighbor's fence to hide.

When the crew finally drove off, Kamara crept back to his Stapleton home.

"I was bleeding all over. I did not know them," the teen said. "I think it was a racist crime."

An NYPD spokesman said the department's Hate Crime Task Force was investigating the incident as a bias crime.

Kamara's mother, a health care employee, said she got a frantic call from her injured son while she was at work.

"He was whispering, 'I'm bleeding. They beat me with a baseball bat. I'm dying. I'm dying.' I was so worried," said his mom Janeba Ladepo, 36.

As she spoke, she held the bloody towel she used to staunch the blood coming from her son's wounds.

"My son does not deserve to get hit like this. For someone to say Obama and hit him, it sounds racist," she said.

Kamara's family moved to Staten Island from Liberia in 2000.

The teen said his attackers only screamed the word "Obama!" but he did not hear any other racial or religious slurs.

esandoval@nydailynews.com

-----------------------------------
NY Muslim Beaten By Gang Shouting ‘Obama’
Posted 11/6/2008 11:07:00 AM

(WASHINGTON, D.C., 11/6/2008) – A prominent national Islamic civil rights and advocacy group today called on the FBI to launch a hate crime investigation into an Election Night assault on a New York Muslim by a gang allegedly angry that Barack Obama was elected president.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said media reports indicate that four “white men” beat a Muslim of Liberian heritage as he was walking near his Staten Island home. The victim said the alleged attackers jumped from a car and attacked him after shouting “Obama.” Local law enforcement authorities are investigating the attack as a hate crime.

SEE: Gang Angry at Barack Obama Win Beat Me, Says Staten Island Teen (NY Daily News)

“This incident should be of great concern to all Americans, not only because of the apparent bias motive, but because of its possible negative impact on equal participation in the political process,” said Aliya Latif, civil rights director of CAIR’s New York chapter.

Earlier this week, CAIR called on the FBI and local police to investigate a paintball attack on a Maryland mosque as a possible hate crime. Other acts of vandalism have targeted Muslim individuals and Islamic institutions in Illinois, Nebraska and nationwide.

Last month, a North Carolina man was sentenced to 45 days in federal prison for e-mailing a death threat to CAIR and a Hispanic group.

Faizah
Sis

Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2008 10:06 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

I heard about the New York case that was reported to CAIR; and the men that were arrested on October 27 for plotting to rob a gun store and shoot African-Americans including Obama have been charged.  Sadly I expect that there will be other cases but I pray they are few.

Fa'izah
nuh
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2008 01:24 PM »

'Obama haters' attack black-Muslim youth in US
DUBAI (AlArabiya.net)

As celebrations of Barack Obama's historic victory broke out across the United States, a group of hooded white men brutally attacked a young black-Muslim immigrant while shouting "Obama," press reported Friday.

Liberian immigrant Ali Kamara, 17, said he was on his way home on the Nov. 4 Election Night when four white men jumped out of a car and began beating him with baseball bats near his Staten Island home, ABC News reported.

"I see the car coming. They looked at me and said, 'Obama!' They were not happy. They had hoodies on. They started hitting me with bats and my body started vibrating," the young high school student was quoted by several U.S. media outlets as saying.

"I was bleeding all over. I did not know them," the teen said. "I think it was a racist crime," Kamara said, adding he has had to have several stitches to close a severe wound in his head.

U.S. Islamic civil rights organization, CAIR, called for an FBI investigation into the assault.

"This incident should be of great concern to all Americans, not only because of the apparent bias motive, but because of its possible negative impact on equal participation in the political process," said Aliya Latif, civil rights director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations' (CAIR) New York office.

The New York Police Commissioner said an investigation was currently under way to determine if the attack was a hate crime.

"Our hate crimes task force is investigating and treating this as a possible bias crime," New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly told local press.

Kamara and his family moved to Staten Island from Liberia in 2000.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2008 02:50 PM »

salaam (im not sure how to put the pic in so if you can) http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/11/06/black_church_in_springfield_burns/?s_campaign=8315

Black church in Springfield burns
Fire began hours after vote, prompting fears it was arson
 Firefighters worked to prevent the blaze in Springfield from spreading to houses. (Mark M. Murray/Springfield Republican)

By Milton J. Valencia
Globe Staff / November 6, 2008
A predominantly black church under construction in Springfield was destroyed by fire early yesterday, just hours after Barack Obama's landmark victory, triggering concerns that the building was purposely set ablaze in a possible hate crime.

The blaze started at Macedonia Church of God in Christ at 3:10 and caused an estimated $2 million in damage.

Church officials pledged to rebuild, but the concerns that their building was targeted dampened a mood that had been so uplifted in the night of Obama's historic win to become the nation's first black president-elect.

"This was a special time in our nation's history, but I also know not everybody was happy and celebrating," said Bishop Bryant J. Robinson Jr., head of the church. "After 71 years of being an African-American, you know these things happen."

Located on King Street, the church was moving to the site at 215 Tinkham Road, where the fire occurred.

Fire officials were quick to emphasize that the blaze remains under investigation, but the unknown nature of the fire triggered an inquiry that will involve local and state investigators and federal agents with the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. It is standard procedure for the ATF and local and state officials to investigate after a place of worship burns, and the FBI agreed to assist because of the unknown cause of the blaze.

"I want to caution people not to jump to conclusions and to allow the investigation to take its time and allow the investigation to follow the evidence trail," said state Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan.

He acknowledged that the congregation could be wary considering the fire's timing, but said investigators have not fully examined what happened. Coan said investigators will inspect the building today using accelerant-sniffing dogs, and detectives will also interview people in the neighborhood. He said the investigation could be a lengthy process.

"Clearly, a fire that occurs in a house of worship, with the close proximity to national events yesterday, is something in the mind of investigators, but it's most important we not reach any conclusions based on the circumstances of those events, but rather allow the evidence to lead us to the conclusion," Coan said.

Responding firefighters found the steel and wood-framed structure fully engulfed.

Firefighters worked to prevent the blaze from spreading to houses, said Dennis G. Leger, a Fire Department spokesman. He said two garden sheds had minor heat damage.

Three firefighters suffered minor injuries, Leger said.

The church, with a construction price tag of $2.5 million, had been more than 75 percent complete, Robinson said. But nothing inside could have sparked a fire on its own, he believes. The electrical system had not been installed.

No one had done anything inside that could have started the fire, he said. Instead, he fears the building was targeted, with the timing of the fire too coincidental to make it random.

"Somebody came in there with an agenda of their own, I believe," Robinson said, recalling days of black churches being torched in the South.

"I've seen segregation. I've seen Jim Crowism," he said. "We've come quite a ways, but we're not that perfect union yet. There's obviously a remnant of that kind of behavior still being practiced, for whatever reason."

The congregation had seen some resistance from the suburban neighborhood when construction was proposed, but the opposition was centered on having such a building in a residential area, and was not related to its 250 members, neighbors said.

Mayor Domenic J. Sarno said the fire, regardless of the cause, is heart-rending for the community. He said he met early yesterday with Robinson, an old friend of his family, and promised that the city would assist with the rebuilding while a task force conducts an extensive investigation.

"Obviously, it's a tragic event," said Sarno, who attended the groundbreaking for the church a year ago.

"It's a sensitive situation. Any house of worship would be a sensitive situation, and that's why it's imperative the experts do their investigation."

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2008 09:33 PM »

November 7th, 2008 12:37 pm
Cross Burned On Lawn Of N.J. Obama Supporter

Family's Obama Banner Went Missing The Night Before; Police Believe It Was Draped On 6-Foot Cross

Incident Follows Alleged Bat Attack On Staten Island Teen

NEWARK (CBS) ? Acts of racism have popped up in parts of the tri-state area since Barack Obama was elected president on Tuesday night.

In the latest, a family who had supported Obama's campaign emerged from their home in the northwestern New Jersey town of Hardwick Thursday morning to find the charred remnants of a 6-foot wooden cross on their front lawn.

Pieces of a homemade bed-sheet banner reading "President Obama -- Victory '08," which had been stolen from the yard the night before, also were found, leading investigators to believe the banner had been wrapped around the cross before it was set afire.

Lt. Gerald Lewis of the New Jersey State Police said his agency is treating the incident as a bias crime.

Police believe the cross, made of two-by-fours bolted to a metal pole like those used to support road signs, was placed on the lawn sometime between 1 a.m. and 7 a.m., and fell over after being set on fire.

Homeowner Gary Grewal said he had noticed the Obama banner missing from his lawn the night before and reported it to police.

Grewal said his 8-year-old daughter, Arianna, spotted the banner wrapped around the burnt cross as they walked toward their car to drive to school.

"She saw it, that's what bothered me the most," Grewal said Thursday. "You can imagine the types of questions she was asking. It was very tough to explain."

Grewal, 51, a management consultant who emigrated from India, has lived in Hardwick Township, a largely rural community of about 1,500 people in Warren County, about 40 miles northwest of Newark, since 2001.

He said Obama campaign signs were regularly swiped off his lawn. His wife, Alina, actively supported the Obama campaign in the largely Republican area.

"I'm not going to be intimidated by something like this," Grewal said. "I don't go on anyone's property and do this. God forbid if I was African-American. We're living in the 21st century, and we've got to be afraid to express our beliefs?"

Grewal described his community as a nice place "with many wonderful people." But he said his daughter is afraid to sleep in her room, knowing someone was on the lawn while they were home.

"I'm amazed this can happen in this time and age," Alina Grewal said. "We're in the Millennium, the world has changed."

This followed an incident on Tuesday night when a black Staten Island teen was viciously assaulted in what police believe was a bias attack sparked by Obama's presidential victory.

Ali Kamara, 17, whose family emigrated from Liberia, is still in great pain after being beaten by four young men with baseball bats.

Kamara, a high school student who is Muslim and lives in the Stapleton Section of the borough, was attacked while walking home around 10 p.m. the night of the election. He said as he approached his street, a gold car with four white men drove up behind him, with the men yelling Obama's name.

"That was the first word that came out of their mouth, 'Obama,'" Kamara recalled.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: