// Bridge over the deepest divides
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Yes, Love indeed is light from heaven; A spark of that immortal fire with angels shared, by Allah given to lift from earth our low desire. --Lord Byron
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridge over the deepest divides  (Read 587 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Nov 07, 2008 06:50 AM »

Bridge over the deepest divides

November 06, 2008

Let’s say it straight: Barack Hussein Obama can change the world.

By sending him to the White House, the United States can again show leadership in tackling, for starters, an all-consuming economic crisis that started in its backyard and threatens to consume the world. 

For Obama to be president of the world’s most powerful country — a country where 143 years ago he might have been only a slave, a country that segregated the races right up to the 1960s — sends out a strong message across the globe about America today.

The 44th president of the US stands out as a beacon of hope for all those struggling to make it to the top in their own societies.

Obama and America have shown that countries can bridge the deepest of divides. While the empowerment of African-Americans is built into the act of sending Obama to the Oval Office, it couldn’t have been possible without the support of White America.

An Obama victory is like India electing a Muslim to be prime minister. Yes, we have a Sikh PM.

But as our democracy matures, surely, a Muslim — or Dalit — as PM is not an outlandish possibility.

Watching Barack Obama in victory and John McCain in defeat has been a humbling experience. One was magnanimous in victory, the other graceful in defeat.

McCain may have run an occasional below-the-belt campaign. But the 72-year-old’s acceptance speech was a lesson in political correctness.

We can only hope that our politicians were watching.

The Obama phenomenon and the economic crisis have made us forget the tragedies of Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan; a legacy of President George W. Bush, the most unilateral and divisive of recent American chief executives. It's time to heal those wounds.

For the moment, it is time to celebrate a historic moment — not only for America, but for the world.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Redir.aspx?ID=4f13653b-4ebc-4e1d-b292-d3247a81fe67&SectionName=

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: