// Considering going back to Christianity
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Ever wonder about those people who spend $2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward. - George Carlin
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Considering going back to Christianity  (Read 4234 times)
Anonymous
« on: Nov 09, 2008 01:47 AM »

I'm considering going back to Christianity. My heart seems to be drawing me back. Sadly I worry I'll lose my Muslim friends but one needs to consider the next life more so than friends. I'm doing a lot of praying about this.
The more I read the Quran the more it seems like a copy of the Bible in many ways and the Bible was written before the Quran wasn't it? I really want to do what is right and I see many Christian issues as not right. Such as the dietary laws, modesty and idols. I really want to be in the right beliefs. There is so much about Islam I dearly love and admire. I dread going to Christian churches cause in the past I found them to be shallow and more critical.
Can anyone give advice. I don't want to feel torn between both Islam and Christianity.
Sister Kathy if you're reading this please advise cause I think ?  you were not always Muslim.
Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2008 04:47 AM »

salaam

im just trying to understand why you want to go back. Is it cause you think the Qur'an maybe taken from the bible. many christians claim that actually.

The reason I think its not true is because we already know the original bible was sent by God so thats why many things are similar.
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2008 04:48 AM »

also I think its really good you are praying. if you are praying for the right path im sure inshAllah you will be guided to it. that is the best thing u can do
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2008 06:54 AM »

Salam,

I think it's good that you're thinking about things and re-evaluating your beliefs. It's important to do this every once and a while and make sure you're on the right path. I would revisit the main beliefs of the major religions and see what you agree with. If at the end, you're convinced there's One God and that Muhammad is His messenger then you are Muslim. Regardless if you practice, if you wear hijab or forget to pray or whatever, you're still Muslim.

I think a lot of converts after they first convert put a lot of high expectations on themselves of being perfect Muslims, of changing their life completely, of wearing niqab/hijab, going to the Mosque everyday, learning Arabic, doing everything. It's too much at once and unfortunately even though they believe in Islam they can't cope, so they go back to their old life.

About the Quran, why wouldn't it sound like the Bible? It is from the same source -- God. However if you look into the preservation of the Bible and certain other theological aspects you can see it's been corrupted over time by man. Even authentic learned bible-scholars will tell you that the exact words have been changed and diluted but that you should "still believe". You can think of the Quran as coming to confirm and also clarify everything that came before. That is why some people call it the Quran - the Last Testament. It has been preserved word by word until this day.

I'd also add that yes it's easier to go back to whatever you were before and whatever is the prevailing culture, but this is right and wrong. This is ignoring God's word. Even though it's difficult and you may struggle you are still doing the right thing. Don't just go against that because it's easier.

I wish you luck in your endeavors and pray that God guide you to what is best.
Take care inshaAllah

I'm considering going back to Christianity. My heart seems to be drawing me back. Sadly I worry I'll lose my Muslim friends but one needs to consider the next life more so than friends. I'm doing a lot of praying about this.
The more I read the Quran the more it seems like a copy of the Bible in many ways and the Bible was written before the Quran wasn't it? I really want to do what is right and I see many Christian issues as not right. Such as the dietary laws, modesty and idols. I really want to be in the right beliefs. There is so much about Islam I dearly love and admire. I dread going to Christian churches cause in the past I found them to be shallow and more critical.
Can anyone give advice. I don't want to feel torn between both Islam and Christianity.
Sister Kathy if you're reading this please advise cause I think ?  you were not always Muslim.

Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2008 10:20 AM »

peace be upon you

You say the Quran is a copy of the Bible. As someone pinted out, the original message from God has been the same, the of Oneness of God, and that He sent prophets (as) to guide mankind.

Now look at the differences. You yourself admit that Christianity has idolatory and laxity in dietary laws. So by your admission the Quran isn't a copy of the Bible.

Look at the position of the prophets in Quran and the Bible. The Old Testament claims some prophets to ahave committed shirk, Lut (as) to have committed incest under the influence of alcohol. Quran does not agree with such accusations.

The Bible says Jesus (as) said He was the Son of God. The Quran denies that.

The Quran opposes the concept of Trinity.

The Quran is not a copy. It is a correction of the corrupte message.
Anonymous
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2008 12:27 PM »

Peace be with you.

Where does Jesus (AS) say in the bible "I am God, worship me?"
Where does the bible say God is a "Father, Son and Holy Spirit?"
How does the bible describe the manner of prayer of Jesus, Moses, Aaron, Abraham, Joshua?
Are you thinking this way because of family pressure or Allah (swt)?

How many people wrote the old testament? How many people scribed the new testament?

Think about the miracle of the Quran. It's contradiction free, recited by one man over 23 years and sets straight the many deviation of the Tribe of Israel and the followers of Jesus (AS).

Masha'Allah -- I have so much I can say on this topic. PM me if you I can help -- strictest confidence assured!

With peace,
nuh
 bro
Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2008 04:07 PM »

As-salaamu alaykum,
Since I think there are some great resources and people here to help you, I just have a couple questions. Which translation of the Qur'aan do you read? There is only one Qur'aan, I'm just curious in terms of the translation.

What pulls you back to Christianity?
Is it that the Bible speaks to you more than the Qur'aan? Interesting. I've read parts of the Bible that include ideas also mentioned in the Qur'an and Torah (like monotheism, qualities of God and the believers, etc). This is logical, considering there is only one God. But there are also parts of the Bible that are somewhat antithetical to the Qur'aan. This is logical, considering many of the previous holy books have been changed or added to, as admitted by scholars amongst the People of the Book (Jews and Christians).
Do you believe in the one, true God who created the universe and all of creation?
Or is there another version of God you believe in?

Second, what aspect of Christianity attracts you (back)?
Is it the social aspect? I have a lot of new Muslim friends who miss their social life dearly (friends, family, etc), even those who reject them simply because of their faith. This is understandable. However, very few of them actually went back to it, feeling more at peace with their decision from an Afterlife-perspective than their social interactions (eventually, they find the right "niche" because, as you know, not every Muslim is the best rep of Islam).

What part of the Afterlife do you seek or believe in?
Part of the basic belief system in Islam is that there is a Day of Judgment and an Afterlife, which both our faith and deeds will play heavily in. But overall, it's only by God's Grace that we'll be forgiven and enter Paradise. And we don't shy away from the subject of Hellfire, which other religions often sweep under the rug. The reality is there are both, and what better incentive to stay away from lower, base desires, than the reward of a good end, God willing.  While God gives good tidings in the Quraan, He also gives a warning.

Peace,
sofia Smiley
Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2008 04:46 PM »

Sorry, forgot to add: Have you learned about Islam with someone of knowledge? I'm concerned that maybe some of the basic tenents of Islam and faith have not been clearly defined or understood. The few people I've heard of who have left Islam had one thing in common: they didn't learn the foundational aspects of Islam with someone of knowledge. Unfortunately, I have to admit, there are many Muslims who were born into Muslim families who are not necessarily taught the basics, and thus, are a little shaky until they learn about the true teachings of Islam themselves before they have true conviction in Islaam. It's just easier to go with mainstream beliefs, and sort of "against the tide" to come to the truth.

Anyhow, for the belief in your previous religion and the most recent version of the religion of God (Islam), the reward is double. Both originated from God. One is untampered and perfected by God, since it is the last of the revelations, to sustain us until the end of times.

One of my teachers once compared the previous revelations as previous versions of the computer. As soon as a newer, better version comes out, we stick to it unless something better and more perfect comes along. I don't mean to offend anyone. It is the Islamic belief that God sent previous books to previous prophets, and we must believe in them, and that the Qur'aan is the last revelation to be sent by God, so it must be perfected and maintained for purity of the message and content, particularly when it comes to legal rulings.

"Now have We caused the Word to reach them, in order that they may receive admonition.
Those to whom We sent the Book before this,- they do believe in this (revelation):
And when it is recited to them, they say: 'We believe therein, for it is the Truth from our Lord: indeed we have been Muslims (bowing to Allah's Will) from before this.'
 Twice will they be given their reward, for that they have persevered, that they avert Evil with Good, and that they spend (in charity) out of what We have given them."
(Qur'aan 28:51-54)

"And if a man believes in Jesus and then believes in me, he will get double reward." - Prophet Muhammad (Sahih Muslim)

Anonymous
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2008 08:46 AM »

this is a realllly common complaint -- that  the quran sounds like the bible and a like a haphazard cobbling together of biblical stories. 

unfortunately, the lack of uniqueness comes from the dumbing down of the quran by its transalation into english.  the message of course is the same -- so the central themes of the quran and the bible are of course one and the same.

however, stylistically speaking they are as different as night and day.  the quran really is --- from the  point of view of language and literature --- utterly, utterly unique.  that alone is enough to discredit the accusations that the quran is merely a jotting down of biblical stories in arabic in a haphazard disorganized way.

for a neutral third party view: i suggest you read the first chapter of

The Cambridge Companion to the Quran
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Companion-Quran-Companions-Religion/dp/052153934X

i have a soft pdf copy of the book.  if you message me, i can send it to you via email. or i can send it to jannah, and you can get it from her.  my name is lucid Smiley
Anonymous
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2008 04:26 AM »

As salaamu alaykum
... still waiting for your e-mail. If you sent it I did not get it. I need to know more than what you sent me.
Anonymous
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2008 06:23 AM »

As salaamu alaykum
... still waiting for your e-mail. If you sent it I did not get it. I need to know more than what you sent me.

Wanting to think about it more so that I can put it into words, I haven't emailed you back. Hopefully tomorrow
I'll have time to reflect on matters and email you.
I appreciate the responses. I've been reading the Quran a lot more lately and all of a sudden I get worried and concerned
could it be a modified copy of the Bible to suit a different people? Not wanting to sound disrespectful.
Maybe it's that I'm not around other Muslims much and feel a little lonely. Truly I want to be where I am meant to be.
Having feelings of doubt is making me really uncomfortable and examining what I truly believe.
Anonymous
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2008 07:32 AM »

"a modified copy of the Quran"? Perhaps we've been emphasizing the similarities between the Abrahamic faiths overmuch. There are major differences in theology, practice, linguistics, stories and wording between the Quran and the Bible. I mean their entire theological base is different. Jesus as God, versus a very monotheistic God. Belief as savior versus Deeds as savior. The religions are NOT the same. I don't know what to tell someone who believes the Quran isn't from God. I think that is the difference between a Muslim and not a Muslim. Do you believe the Bible is from God? Because that would be interesting as not even Christian scholars believe that. The Bible is the work of man but said to be inspired by God.

Anyway take your time and continue reading the Quran. Hopefully you will see some signs that will guide you again.
Anonymous
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2008 07:53 AM »

salaam,

A few prayers you might want to make during this time that are from the teachings of the Prophet saw:

God, grant me the ability to see the truth as truth, and grant me the strength to follow it; and grant me the ability to see falsehood as falsehood, and grant me the strength to stay away from it.

O Turner of Hearts, make my heart firm and steadfast on Your religion.
Ya Muqallib al Quloob, thabit qalbee 'ala deenik.

God, help me to remember You, to be thankful to You, and to worship You in the best and most beautiful of ways.
Allahumma a'innee 'ala dhikrika wa shukrika wa husnee 'ibaadatik.

--

I'm curious to know why you are getting the impression that the Quran may have been for a specific set of people... could you give us some examples from what you are reading that makes you feel that way?

May Allah guide us all to the right path and beautify our hearts with faith,

salaam.
Anonymous
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2008 06:39 PM »

for every christian its good to understand both chirtianity and islam before selecting one and then leaving it.
but any way if you found them the same then you can only rely on the last updated version (The quran)
we know its always more logic to follow the  latest version of every thing so as for religions

The bible and the quran are yes supposed to say the same thing but if there is a word where they differ then they are not the same

going back to a religion you have not been satisfied with most likely seem just trying to selct some part of it which you think is easier such as hijab etc, but calling them the same and believing in two books at a time seems confused in the middle

read them both again very well and understand it

Anonymous
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2008 09:22 PM »

Asalamaualikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

The feelings you are experiencing are from the Shaitan.  He is eager to make you go away from the truth, and since he couldn't prevent you from Islam, he is whispering lies to you.  This is his way. 

For example, if he cannot prevent you from praying, you will make you delay it.  If he cannot do that, he will make you pray hastily.  If he cannot do that, he will distract you in your prayer.  If he cannot do that, he will make you show off in your prayer.

And if he cannot do all of that, he will fill you with pride and arrogance after you complete your prayer.

So do not pay attention to these whispers.

As for what you mentioned of what you percieve as resemblance of the Bible in the Quran, these verses are called the Mutishabihaat (verses of metaphorical meaning) by the scholars.  Those who have a ill heart, get caught up on the mutashabihaat, and ignore that clear apparent verses.  But those of deep knowledge, they believe in all the verses, and trust that the true knowledge of their meanings is with Allah.

Let me give you an example.  The Christians in the time of the Prophet, may peace be upon him, came to the Prophet and said, "Look, even your Quran says that Jesus is the word of God!"  They said this trying to claim that Jesus was part of God, since God's word, in their view, had to be pre-eternal.

Then Allah revealed these verses regarding them:

003.007 He it is Who has sent down to thee the Book: In it are verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are allegorical. But those in whose hearts is perversity follow the part thereof that is allegorical, seeking discord, and searching for its hidden meanings, but no one knows its hidden meanings except God. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: "We believe in the Book; the whole of it is from our Lord:" and none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.

Jesus is the created word of Allah, "Kun", or "Be".  Although all of us are the result of Allah's command "Be," Jesus is called the word of Allah, since the apparent source of his creation is hidden from the eyes of people, whereas most people are created from a father and a mother.

The likeness of Jesus is like Adam, Allah created him from dust and then said, "Be." and he was.

So my advice to you, honorable sister, is to have full and complete faith in all the verses of the Quran, those that you understand, and those that you don't.  It is all from Allah.  Do not dwell on the Mutashabihaat.

May Allah make all of our hearts firm on Islam, and make the return to Kufr more hated to us than being thrown into a fire.  Oh Allah, protect our hearts from the whispers of the Evil One.  Ameen.

And Allah knows best.
Anonymous
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2008 08:38 PM »

Just read this and thought of this thread:

My Passion for Jesus

This is a guest-post submitted by Brent Graham, a native of Down Under (Australia):

When I first started to read an English translation of the Qur’an (also known as Koran) that was available in my Secondary College’s Library, Christianity was my professed religion. I can still remember today how fascinated I was with what was being discovered by this 17 year old who would openly profess allegiance to the Church of England in class, ridiculing anyone who would not follow suite.

Not only did this book with its’ exotic cover contain the most beautiful stories of the previous Prophets that I loved to hear about in Bible class, but amazing stories I didn’t know of as well.

The biggest surprise for me came from the verses related to Jesus Christ. The Qur’an contained the incredible stories of his righteous mother, miraculous birth and even some miracles not found in the Bible such as Jesus defending his mother’s honour from the cradle.

The initial shock came when I stumbled across verses of the Qur’an stating that Jesus was not the ‘Son of God’, ‘God never begot a Son’ and that ‘Jesus was not part of a divine Trinity’. I was shell shocked – “What had I discovered?!”

O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning God save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of God, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in God and His messengers, and say not “Three”. Cease! (It is) better for you! God is the only One God. Glory be to Him (Far Exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is All¬Sufficient as a Disposer of affairs. (Qur’an, 4:171)

I had discovered that what the Qur’an was saying completely contradicted the doctrine of the Trinity taught by all of the main Christian Churches in the world today.

I was now on a mission; I had my mind set to uncover what the bible had to say in defense of such allegations.

Some of things I discovered then and now are documented below starting with Jesus being the Son of God.

And when the centurion, who stood facing him, saw that he thus breathed his last, he said, “Truly this man was the Son of God!” (Revised Standard Version, Mark 15:39)

So the people in that time confessed to Jesus being the ‘Son of God’.

And they all said, “Are you the Son of God, then?” And he said to them, “You say that I am.” (Luke 22:70)

And the now infamous John 3:16

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

But if we read on we will find that the term ‘Son of God’ was not just reserved for Jesus as some may claim, but also used by Jesus to describe the God fearing.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Matthew 5:9)

Reading through not only the New Testament but the Old Testament, we will uncover that the Biblical term for people of piety and righteousness was ‘The Children of God’.

In Islam we use the word Muttaqoon.

But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish. (Luke 6:35)

Even Paul, who claimed to be divinely inspired by Jesus and was at the forefront of ascribing divinity to Jesus, wrote in his letter to the Romans the following line…

For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. (Romans 8:14)

So where does this idea of Jesus being the sole ‘Son of God’ come from?

The verse that was given as the best proof for the Doctrine of Trinity has now been deleted from the Bible.

It once read:-

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

This verse known as 1 John 5:7 is now universally recognised as being a later “insertion” of the Church.

Daniel B. Wallace (PhD, Dallas Theological Seminary - is a professor of New Testament studies at Dallas Theological Seminary and a noted grammarian) states in his article ‘The Textual Problem in 1 John 5:7-8’ that: “This reading, the infamous Comma Johanneum, has been known in the English-speaking world through the King James translation. However, the evidence—both external and internal—is decidedly against its authenticity.”

Mr Wallace continues by saying that “…there is no sure evidence of this reading in any Greek manuscript until the 1500s…” and that “The Trinitarian formula (known as the Comma Johanneum) made its way into the third edition of Erasmus’ Greek NT (1522) because of pressure from the Catholic Church.

After his first edition appeared (1516), there arose such a furor over the absence of the Comma that Erasmus needed to defend himself. He argued that he did not put in the Comma because he found no Greek manuscripts that included it.” [http://www.bible.org/page.asp?page_id=1186]

Many of the recent versions of the Bible, such as The Revised Standard Version, The New Revised Standard Version, The New American Standard Bible, The New English Bible, and The Phillips Modern English Bible do not contain this verse, some instead include it as a footnote citing it as a later edition.

So where did the Trinity come from?

The New Encyclopedia Britannica states, “Neither the word Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine appears in the New Testament, nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema (The Judaic profession of Monotheism) in the Old Testament: “Hear O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord.” (Deuteronomy 6:4). The earliest Christians, however, had to cope with the implications of the coming of Jesus Christ and of the presumed presence and power of God among them…” (The New Encyclopedia Britannica Volume II, 15th Edition 2002, p 928)

So it was not Jesus or his followers that taught the doctrine of Trinity but people who came after them?!

And if that is not troublesome enough, they added their fictitious beliefs to the religious text now titled the Bible?!

The Bible warns against such actions:-

I warn every one who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if any one adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if any one takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. (Revelation 22:18-19)

You’re possibly wondering now if this is addition also?

God Almighty gives a stern warning in the Qur’an:-

Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands and then say, “This is from God,” to purchase with it a little price! Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for that they earn thereby. (Qur’an, 2:79)

So if Jesus is not the Son of God, then who is he?

Both the Bible and the Qur’an will confirm that he was a Prophet and Messenger who called to the oneness of God, as did the Prophets and Messenger who preceded him.

And demons also came out of many, crying, “You are the Son of God!” But he rebuked them, and would not allow them to speak, because they knew that he was the Christ.

And when it was day he departed and went into a lonely place. And the people sought him and came to him, and would have kept him from leaving them;

But he said to them, “I must preach the good news of the kingdom of God to the other cities also; for I was sent for this purpose.”

And he was preaching in the synagogues of Judea. (Luke 4:41-44)

We noted earlier in Mark 15:39 how the Centurion who claimed to witness Jesus’ death on the cross exclaimed that “Truly this man was the Son of God!” but during his life, it was said by the people of Jerusalem that he was the Prophet of Nazareth.

And when he entered Jerusalem, all the city was stirred, saying, “Who is this?”

And the crowds said, “This is the prophet Jesus from Nazareth of Galilee.”
(Matthew 21:10-11)

Jesus Christ himself during his days of preaching taught the people that he was not speaking on his own accord, that what he was teaching the people was from the Creator of the Heavens and the earth, in the form of prophecies.

So Jesus answered them, “My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me; if any man’s will is to do his will, he shall know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority.

He who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but he who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood. Did not Moses give you the law? Yet none of you keeps the law. Why do you seek to kill me?” (John 7:16-19)

And a similar statement in the Qur’an:-

And verily We gave unto Moses the Scripture and We caused a train of messengers to follow after him, and We gave unto Jesus, son of Mary, clear proofs (of God’s sovereignty), and We supported him with the holy Spirit (The Angel Gabriel). Is it that whenever there came to you a Messenger with what you yourselves desired not, you grew arrogant? Some, you disbelieved and some, you killed. (Qur’an, 2:87)

Being passionate about the honour and life of Jesus Christ the son of Mary is not a bad thing; it is noble and sought after. Both the Bible and the Qur’an will testify that he lead an admirable Prophetic life, an example we all can love and desire to follow.

But what I have discovered is that to show our love for someone is not by making up stories, elevating their status, nor is it to give them attributes belonging to others, especially God, Almighty.

No one can argue that getting caught up in exaggerated veneration or the false worship of any individual is an acceptable display of ones love. Showing love for someone is to speak the reality about him or her and teach their glorious stories in the truest of fashion, something I now hope to do with more vigour no longer as a Christian, but as a Muslim.

This is what I discovered at such a young age and now share with you. May God bless all of you with the best of knowledge and faith!
Anonymous
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2008 03:48 AM »

Sister Kathy I just sent you a message.
Thank you all for your posts. I have much to pray about and appreciate all the kindness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: