// Competition: Your best 10 minute, $10 recipe!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Gratitude: The Prophet said: 'Contemplate those who have less than you and not those who have more than you, lest you belittle the favors of Allah conferred upon you'. (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Competition: Your best 10 minute, $10 recipe!  (Read 4639 times)
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« on: Nov 13, 2008 09:13 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

I always read recipes and find that they are either way too complex to make (I remember br siddiqui's recipes from the old board that needed three pots going on the stove at once Undecided) or they have weird ingredients I've never heard of before or that you have to go out of your way to purchase from the store.

Lets see who has the best EASY recipe for beginners like me   Grin

Here are the rules:

1.  It needs 10 minutes of preparation time max (time in the oven or left on the stove doesn't count)
2.  Ingredients should not cost more than around $10
3.  Should be able to feed two people
4.  Can be a main dish, side dish, dessert, drink... anything

Let the competition begin!  We can do a poll after people post their recipes to see which one people like best.

bebzi
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2008 02:18 AM »

OK here's my recipe...

Tuna casserole.

Buy Tuna Helper - prepare. Or if you want to use fresh ingredients:

INGREDIENTS:

1 package egg noodles
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup cut up onions
1 bag frozen vegetables (broccoli, carrots and peas)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt & pepper

1. Boil package of egg noodles. Drain. Set Aside.

2. Add noodles, tuna, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, vegetables, pinch of salt & pepper in baking pan.

3. Bake on 350 covered for 1/2 hour and uncovered 1/2 hour.  (You can also add dry breadcrumbs cooked in butter on top in the middle)

et.............. voila Smiley bon apetit  hungry

se7en
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2008 05:28 AM »

salaam,

ok here's mine, I got this recipe from my sis-in-law, and every time I make it people really love it... it must be all the sugar Wink  And it's super easy to make and only requires a few ingredients.

SEVEN's YUMMY LEMON BARS  Cool

Ingredients:

2 sticks (8 ounces) butter
2 cups flour
1/2 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar
4 beaten eggs
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
sifted confectioners' sugar

Preparation:
Heat oven to 325°. Blend butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar. Pat into ungreased 13x9x2-inch pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. For filling, blend together eggs, sugar, 4 tablespoons flour, and lemon juice.  Pour over first layer. Return to oven and bake at 325° for 20 minutes. Loosen around edges, cut into bars and sift confectioners' sugar over the top while warm.

Enjoy Smiley
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2008 06:11 AM »

MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG  CAKE

1 Coffee Mug

4 tablespoons flour (plain flour, not self-rising)
4  tablespoons sugar
2  tablespoons baking cocoa
1  egg
3  tablespoons milk
3  tablespoons oil
3  tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
Small splash of vanilla

Add dry  ingredients to mug, and mix well .  Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in  the milk and oil and mix well.

Add the chocolate chips (if using) and  vanilla, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3  minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be  alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

EAT! (this can serve  2 if you want to share!)
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2008 06:13 AM »

Can we submit more than one?
se7en
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2008 08:05 PM »

sure blessed grandma Smiley
CountlessBlessings
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
CountlessBlessings has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2008 06:34 PM »

Salams
A friend recently got back from the States and brought me a huge variety of spice/sauce mixes.  Once you have those putting a meal together is super easy.  For example I made a stir fry recently with shrimp, veggies and vermicelli.  And because in Americaland you can get frozen stirfry vegetables it's even easier, almost no prep time.  But even if you don't have the mix, add enough garlic, ginger and soy sauce to anything and it tastes chinese Smiley

Sorry my recipes are always in paragraph form, I never follow exact measurements.
CambridgeSister
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
CambridgeSister has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2008 05:51 PM »

Is this competition still running or am I too late  Undecided

Well anyway here's my quick  potato recipes Smiley

Roast Potatoes

Take 2 large potatoes, wash and cut into cubes.

Put them in a pan and add boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain the water and cover the potatoes and shake them.

Put them in a roasting tin, cover with 2 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt.

Leave them in the oven for (approx 30-40 mins)

Result: Crispy potatoes with a fluffy inside yummy.

Potato Wedges

Take two large potatoes and cut in wedge shapes

Cover with 2 tables spoon of olive oil, a teaspoon of paprika, season with salt and black pepper, sprinkle some chilli flakes.

Leave them in the oven for approx 30-40 mins

Result: Smokey wedges yummy.
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2008 06:04 PM »

Chicken Cordon Bleu casserolle

Rinse and cube 3 chicken breast halves         
Cube a thick slice of swiss cheese
Cube a thick slice of turkey ham
Throw in a casserole dish, mix together with 1/3 to 1/2 cup
progresso Italian bread crumbs (fine crumbs)
Mix it all up, bake covered for 20 mins at 350
Take off lid and bake another 10 to 15 mins till top is a little crispy

Less than 10 mins prep time and under $10.
with money left over for a can of veggies to go with it
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2008 04:42 PM »

I dont know what takes 10 minutes of less. The rare times I cook, it becomes a production!!! Bah.

but I have some suggestions:

1. Grilled cheese sandwich:
two pieces of bread ( your choice of what kind)
some cheese
some butter
To spice it up add some tomato (optional)

put the cheese in between the slices of bread. Butter the bread on both sides and grill! Be sure to press down to get it all flat (I like it flat- but you dont have to do that). Fancy it up a bit and add another slice of bread. Or use more than one kind of cheese. Smiley

2. Banana bread peanut butter sandwich
Either bake some banana bread (use those over-ripened bananas for something) or buy some
Just put some peanut butter on one slice of bread and some strawberry jam/jelly on another, put together and slice. Eat and enjoy. Its way better than regular bread:) Trust me.

3. Fried Rice
Use stale rice! Day old or whatever.
Get some onions, peppers, any type of veggie thats in your freezer or fridge. Soy sauce etc...and mix it all with your rice in a big pan with some oil. Bon apetit.

Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2008 05:25 AM »

Tator Tot Casserole

preheat oven to 350

Crumble about a pound of raw hamburger in the bottom of a casserole dish
(sprinkle meat with salt, pepper and if one desires garlic powder)
Top with a can (spread over meat) Cream of Mushroom or Cream of celery soup, UNDILUTED
and place frozen tator tot upright on top of soup
Heat uncovered till tots are nice med crispy brown.

(Other options are:
1) finely diced onions between hamburger and soup layer
2) cheddar cheese on top of tots, but don't add till last 10 mins of baking

This will easily feed a couple for two dinners
or a family of 4 or even 6 if you add a salad or veggie.

A pound of hamburger, can of soup and bag of tator tots maybe $8 ?
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2008 05:54 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah, se7en!!!  Hope you and the family are well, insha'Allah.

Here's something I usually lean on when time is tight...
Disclaimer #1: I am not a cook.
Disclaimer #2: My husband is a much better cook than myself, and has sworn me to secrecy with his Lebanese recipes. He's actually serious. Since I couldn't really explain what he does, anyhow (measurements?), I'll give you another Lebanese friend's recipe. I'd give you some Paki dishes, but since I'm no expert in that, either and I figure, your mom probably could hook you up...I actually like to mix Pakistani and Lebanese dishes; great combos.
Disclaimer #3: Like most desis, using Uncle Ben's rice is sacrilege, I know (and God knows Basmati is the only rice allowed in my parents' home, as well it should be). But it works best in this recipe. Even my mom loves this (although it's really the nuts she goes for).

Rice with meat (with buttered/browned nuts on top, yuummmm):
1) Saute ground meat (1/2 lb) in a pot in a tiny amount of oil. Mash it up, so it's not toooo lumpy.
2) Add spices: Allspice (1-2 tbs), Salt (1 tbs), Black/Red Pepper (1-2 tbs), Cinnamon (1/2 tbs), Nutmeg (1/2 tbs).
3) After meat is cooked through (5 min or so), add 4 cups of water, and let boil.
4) Once boiling, add 2 cups of rice (any kind, but Uncle Ben's works fine here).
5) Cook until boiling, then let it boil down to just enough water so it comes to the level of the rice. Then reduce heat to low, and cover. Let it "dhum" for like 10 min (standard rice procedure, right?).
6) In the meantime, melt some butter in a small nonstick pan, heat up, and then add sliced almonds or pinenuts. Fry em up until just golden brown. Make this the topping of your rice, once you put it in a nice display dish. Smiley

This is normally served with a chicken dish and veggie dish, not to mention some salad, but it's fine on it's own every once in a while...serves like, I dunno, 3 families? Three meals?

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2009 05:43 AM »

One Cup Salad

Ingredients

1 cup white grapes
1 cup mandarin oranges (drained)
1 cup mini marshmallows (halaal)
1 cup coconut
1 cup diced pineapple
1 cup whip cream, whipped
Directions: Mix ingredients together and refrigerate for several hours before serving.

Next time I think I'll add some almond slivers or walnuts. hungry

CountlessBlessings
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
CountlessBlessings has no influence :(

« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2009 10:08 PM »

EZ Smothered chicken

I tried this at home so I know how good it is:

1 lg onion, thinly sliced
1 can mushrooms*
About 1/3-1/2 cup of butter (or more if you want to make it reaaaaallly yummy)**
A few chicken breasts (3 or 4)
salt+pepper
soy sauce
First sauté the onion in the butter until it begins to soften. Add the mushrooms (drained) salt to taste and enough soy sauce to make it brownish in color.  Don't put too much salt because soy sauce is already salty.  Let this simmer until the onions basically melt. 
In the meantime cook the chicken breasts in a skillet with salt and pepper or put them in the oven (that's what I did) until they're done but not dry. (It takes a little longer than 10 minutes in the oven though) 
To serve place the chicken breast on a plate and cover it with the onion sauce. 
I know it doesn't sound like much but it's soooo good.

*You can also make this without the mushrooms if you don't like them, add another onion to increase the quantity.
**this may seem like a lot of butter but divided among three or four people it's quite reasonable, for a once in a while thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: