// fact or fiction
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Behind every successful man is a surprised woman. - Maryon Pearson
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fact or fiction  (Read 3829 times)
xina6143
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
xina6143 has no influence :(

« on: Nov 14, 2008 03:12 PM »

first jannah i wasnt 100% sure where i should post this question so hopefully i put this in the right category. With all the information that is out there on islam written by muslims and non muslims how is one to know what information is correct and which isnt?? I was also told that you cant always go by hadiths because some are considered weak hadiths can anyone elaborate on that??  Huh? Huh?
timbuktu
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2008 02:40 PM »

peace be upon you

What sort of information you are talking about?

As for Ahadeeith, although there are weak ones too, a thorough investigation of the transmitters and the text, etc. has been made, and there is classification of these Ahadeeth.

I will give at the end the names of the Sihah Sitta: the collection of six books that are commonly consulted. All AHadeeth in the first two: Bukhari and Muslim are considered Sahih. The others have weak ones as well, but work has been done to identify and label them as well. The most recent work has been that of the late Shaykh Nasiruddin Albani, who has sorted out and re-published the collections of Ahadeeth that initially contained the weak ones as well as the Sahih ones. There are other smaller collections: like Sahih ibne Habban that also have Sahih Ahadeeth. The muwatta of Imam Malik is also considered Sahih by some. The scholars know of weaknesses in Ahadeeth, and have classified them.

So what it boils down to is what level of knowledge you seek when you are referring to Ahadeeth.

The compilers of Sihah Sitta:

1st. Bukhari (810-870 A.D. 256 A.H.) made a collection of about 7,275 hadiths (3,000 to 4,000 independent sayings) (out of around 300,000 he knew of) that is almost universally recognized as "next only to the Qur’an in authority".

2nd. The Sahih Muslim, by Imam Muslim (817-875 A.D. 261 A.H.) is the second most authoritative collection, with 7,190 hadiths (4,000 independent sayings).

3rd. Sunana-e-Ibn Maja/Majah (824-886/887 A.D. 273 A.H.) is a collection of 4,341 Hadiths

4th. Sunan-Abu Da’ud/: Dawud/Dawood al Sidjistani (817-888/9 A.D. 275 A.H.) submitted his collection to Ahmad bin Hanbal, who approved it. He collected 4,800 hadiths out of 500,000. His had the principle that "transmitters are considered trustworthy provided there is no formal proof to discredit them."

5th. Jami-Tirmidhi: Abu’ ‘Isa Mohammed ibn ‘Isa bin Sawra ut-Tirmidhi (pronounced TER-mid-hee) (825-892 A.D. 209-279 A.H.). It has about 3,956 hadiths.

6th. Sunan Nasa’i (or Al Nasa) (830-915 A.D. 215-303 A.H.) later than the others, is a collection of 5,764 hadiths.

These six collections together are called Sihah Sitta. Beyond these early six collections are others. Some Muslims believe a seventh hadith collection is also authoritative: the

Muwatta’ Malik. Other Sunni sollections of AHadeeths are: Sunan al-Darimi, Musnad of al-Humaydi, Sunan al-Daraqutni and the Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal
xina6143
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2008 04:24 PM »

I was just talking about information in general not anything really specific.
timbuktu
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2008 05:11 PM »

peace be upon you

In some cases, you can go by a Hadith, even when it is a weak one. But first of all you should understand what is menat by a weak Hadith. I have seen people on the net refer to a Hadith as weak just because it does not conform to their preconceived ideas. That is wrong. The scholars have rules for determining the strength of Hadith, and one should learn the terminology and wher eit applies from them.

Quite often we laymen go only by the translation of a Hadith, and we do not know what was the background for that Hadith, what do the Quran and other Ahdeeth say regarding the topic under consideration, etc. Either we must learn that, or consult the ulema, rather than dismiss something because of our poor understanding.

I do not remember the details now, but on islamonline.net there was a heated discussion from someone who insisted that whatever Hadith did not pass his concept of reasonableness, was a weak hadith, and he quoted a couple of Ahadeeth that on the surface were disturbing. Another poster on that site who ahd taken courses in hadith from al-Azhar, explained the issues so marvellously that the doubts were all erased.
xina6143
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2008 05:30 PM »

Thank you very much for your help Timbuktu Smiley Does anyone know of any genuine Islamic sites. Ive been browsing the internet and Ive came across a few that seem to be genuine Islamic sites then when you look a little deeper they really are anti Islamic websites.
timbuktu
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2008 06:16 PM »

peace be upon you

Again I am not sure what you mean. There are many sites which would qualify as true Islamic sites, but their emphass may be different from each other. And the difference on emphasis may veen be taken by them to exclude other emphases as unIslamic. So before I give here my list of sites that are Islamic ones, can you give us examples of those sites that you initially thought were Islamic, and later found out were not so.
xina6143
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2008 06:32 PM »

[Anti-Islam website link removed, please see rules] (i found this one searching about something and i didnt realize this was anti-islam until I read the whole article and went to the home page as this has hadiths) there were a few others but I forgot the websites i will post them when I remember insha allah

I guess I shouldve browsed jannah.org a little bit better instead of spending the majority of my time on this website browsing the message boards I forgot she had a long list of islamic websites..oops

Edited by Admin: Removed link. Please see rules.
In the Name of Allah
bismillah hir rahman nir rahim
Sis

In the Name of Allah has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009 09:08 PM »

salam

few sites as u say are infact anti islamic.....
it is best to stick to one of them and follow up

1. www.islamqa.com
2. www.quran.nu
3. beautifulislam.com

concerning hadeeth and quran

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) commanded them (the women emigrants) to be regular (in remembering Allah by saying): "Allah is most great"; "Glory be to the King, the Holy"; "there is no god but Allah"; and that they should count them on fingers, for they will be questioned and asked to speak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: