Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." -George W. Bush
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Film Review] Welcome to Sajjanpur  (Read 1787 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 19, 2008 06:46 AM »

Welcome to Sajjanpur (2008)

Sajjanpur is the 'every village' of India. The movie is a funny slice of life in real India. And it shows the REAL INDIA, not the fake bollywood one. This is the type of village my grandparents were from and many of my family members still live in. (Except for this one's Hindu) Things are slow, there's electricity, barely, that weird juxtaposition of modernity vs traditional rural life, east vs. west of mobile phones versus sleeping on cots. Just a very sweet, interesting look at life, i would say "back then" but it's actually "now" there.

Loved watching it, but warning that if you don't understand "dehati" rural slang, you won't get anything and it has some bollywood-esque (inevitable) songs that were very sweet and innocent . Hopefully they'll do good subtitles!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1221139/

Mahadev is one of the few educated young men from Sajjanpur. His ambition is to be a novelist but finds it easier to make a living by writing letters sitting next to the post office. His ability to write persuasive letters makes him popular with the largely non-literate population of the town. Aware of this power, he soon uses his talent to manipulate people with amusing and sometimes not such amusing results.

With this as the narrative frame, Welcome to Sajjanpur shows in an entertaining, musical and comic way, characters and events that are at once hilarious and poignant. A delightful satirical take on a contemporary Indian village.

SPOILERS:
The ending was definitely new but why'd they have to do that to the doc and his wife??hmm

a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2008 08:10 PM »

Assalamualaikum

I've read about this, but it doesn't seem like our village back home, either because ours is predominantly Muslim or because I haven't seen the film  Smiley

but warning that if you don't understand "dehati" rural slang, you won't get anything

Can you speak dehati, Jannah? Seriously, it's an art !
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2008 02:25 AM »

wsalam,

yeah you have to watch it to realize it's "every village" regardless of religion/geography. i can't speak dehati but i understand it because that's what they all speak over there!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: