// Arab Community Voices Dissatisfaction with Obama
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “A house divided against itself cannot stand.” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arab Community Voices Dissatisfaction with Obama  (Read 2301 times)
nuh
« on: Nov 19, 2008 01:58 PM »

by Barbara Sowell

Arab Americans voted overwhelmingly for Barack Obama in November. Now the Arab world community is afraid that Obama has forgotten his roots by appointing too many pro Israel members to his administration.

An editorial in CounterPunch by Rannie Amiri claims that “Obama’s Dual Loyalties Will Doom Obama”.

Amiri writes that history will record the 2008 U.S. presidential campaign as having “marginalized, ostracized and disparaged” American Arabs and Muslims, and that the election of Barack Obama isn’t likely to change the situation.

Amiri believes that Obama did little to quell rumors and innuendos about his background and now that he has been elected his decision to employ “Israel-firsters” is a sign of times to come.

First blaming the Sen. Hillary Clinton campaign for starting the rumors that Obama was “a closet Muslim,” and later blaming “Republican operatives” who used the rumors to bolster Sen. John McCain’s campaign, Amiri ultimately blames Obama for reinforcing Islamophobia.

(more)

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/262452
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2008 02:25 PM »

assalamualaikum

is everything just about israel/palestine?  it seems that to some that there are no other problems in the muslim world.  no extreme poverty, no gender extreme discrimination, no other problems but isreal.  every issue is tinted with the issue of israel...palestine...zionists....   some people  make it sound like israelis are 11ft giants bent on taking over the muslim world and possess 24th century weapons.

to them israel is the bogeyman....and whether obama is a great guy or evil incarnate depends on how nice he is to the palestinians and how harsh he is on israelis.  i am sorry but this is a debate that has been framed by a select group of people who have no other concerns and care little about muslims in other parts of the world.  they could hardly identify pakistan, bangladesh or uttar pradesh on the map; they are the sarah palin of muslims for whom one issue (replace abortion by israel) overwhelms every other....

the issue and injustices against the palestinians are important, and so is the issue of baital muqaddis.  but  we have other issues as well.  did everybody forget that obama is going to close guantanamo?  this is something very very important and a great thing for all muslims -- that the US will no longer randomly round up so called enemies and give them a life vacation in a 6 foot by 6 foot cage in cuba?

nuh
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2008 02:56 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

is everything just about israel/palestine?

This is one of the most profoundly ignorant things I have read on this site. I am so annoyed I can't even begin to respond.

nuh
 bro
lucid
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2008 05:10 PM »

assalamualaikum

why?  please explain to ignorant fools like myself.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2008 06:18 AM »

salam

I think as a super power, the US is expected to display even handedness in international conflicts.  I understand, as many others, that Israel is an ally of the US, and the Palestinians and many neighbouring regions are not. 

Obama was preaching change during elections,and many people hoped that this would also be reflected on the Israeli/Palestinian issue.  But this is naive. The change was meant for internal affairs mostly. 

As Br. Lucid clearly illustrates here, most of the American population do not care about what happens beyond the precincts of their land, as long as it does not affect fellow American citizens.  What's on the mind of people in the US right now is  the ECONOMY, health care, and their homes.  Can you blame them? I can't.  They are worried for their immediate future, and rightly so.  However, they somehow can not link that the sorry state of affairs that they are in were directly linked to US international policy.

For Muslims though, it is very curious to say the least, how some of us became so detached from the Palestinian cause.   I guess this is because many of us don't live there and have not seen how bad things are there. 

Anyways, I, like many, am kinda not expecting much from Obama, even for internal matters.  And I am not even American! The man can talk the talk, but let's see if he can walk the walk.

wassalam

nuh
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2008 02:08 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

I'm not getting into a flame war with you Lucid.

Invest a little time in your deen and find out why Palestine personifies the struggle of Muslims worldwide for yourself.

Here's a good place to start:

The Globalised Suffering of the Muslims

All over the globe one hears of Muslims suffering and being oppressed at the hands of tyrannical rulers and their allies. despite having control over the majority of the worlds natural resources. An explanation of a hadeeth and it's relation to the current day situation, where the Noble Prophet (saws) prophesised how the nations will gather against the Muslims before the end of time makes up the opening part of this speech. Events in certain parts of the world are mentioned and the Muslims are reminded that we are not to despair, as Allah's promise will remain supreme and his assistance is near.

http://www.kalamullah.com/Riyadul%20Haq/The%20Globalised%20Suffering%20of%20The%20Muslims.mp3

Ma'as salaama,
nuh
 bro
lucid
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2008 02:48 PM »

assalamualaikum

so you think that muslims are under threat and the west is the reason for the oppression in the muslim world?

and do you also believe that the zionists/jews/israelis are leading the fight against muslims?

and do you think that israel is waging a proxy war for America and Europe against muslims?

i don't mean any malice here.  i just don't understand how all of our problems are boiled down to israel.  israel is a country of only 3 million people. 

can somebody else please explain these things to me as well?
nuh
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2008 02:51 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

Like I said:

I'm not getting into a flame war with you Lucid.

Ma'as salaama,
nuh
 bro
lucid
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2008 06:04 PM »

assalamualaikum

well then don't say your flaming mad about something i said. 

nuh
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2008 11:43 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

What I originally said was:

This is one of the most profoundly ignorant things I have read on this site. I am so annoyed I can't even begin to respond.

nuh
 bro

[Edited by Admin: Please don't insult other users]
lucid
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2008 04:37 AM »

assalamualaikum

i take it you don't like me.

Ps: i hope you are doing well and don't mean to harass you.

[Edited by Admin]
nuh
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2008 12:00 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

Subhan'Allah!

Lucid, I love you my dear brother.

May Allah increase our iman, grant you ahsan, give me better sabr, bless us with tawqa, accept my tawbah, and honour us all with Jannah!

Ma'as salaama,
nuh
 bro
Tabriz
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
Tabriz has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2008 06:51 AM »

Assalamu alykum,

Well said Lucid--I agree with most of what you said. Very refreshing to hear your thoughts. We, as humans, tend to be more emotional than rational when we encounter complex issues, especially when our thoughts are, pardon the cliche, "against the tide."

I am sure as a human and as a Muslim you feel pain when you see your Palestinian brothers and sisters suffer under a brutal occupation. Or, anyone else on this earth for that matter.

I wish the Muslim leaders of their respective countries were as good to their own people as the non-Muslims are to theirs. Are the non-Muslims holding them at gun point telling them to be brutal to their own people and to deny them justice?

We need to clean up our own house and then perhaps we will be in a better position to demand the same from our neighbors. However, I am not advocating that we should not demand justice from the US or Isreal. Opression should always be condemned and we should always strive for justice.

As for Obama, or any other leader for that matter--he's one person trying to please millions. It cannot be done. If today, he were to bend over backwards all the way for any cuase, the rest would gather together and throw him out in a heartblink.

Obama is not the messiah. He did not say he is. Obama is not the savior of the people of the 21st century. He's the President of the United States of America. Most of the people thought that at this point in time he had many of the right answers. Does he have all of the answers? NO.

Right now America is a world leader and in many respects, Obama is a world leader. Imagine the burden on his shoulders. Already I see a more sober man, the stress creeping over him slowly. May God help Obama and all those in whose hands, the Supreme Lord, has bestowed leadership, to be able to govern effectively and justly. That goes for all the leaders around the world.

Many people decided that for this time Obama was the best choice. Don't look to him for salvation because you will be dissapointed. He's human.

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2008 09:58 AM »

Ps: i hope you are doing well and don't mean to harass you.

Lucid, I love you my dear brother.

May Allah increase our iman, grant you ahsan, give me better sabr, bless us with tawqa, accept my tawbah, and honour us all with Jannah!

Well. That's the fastest almost fight to love I've ever seen on the Madina. Good for you guys. I just hope you're not fighting it out on madina message!! Angry

stick  boxing beat  duel ======> handshake heart loveshower hug

ws

ps. tabriz welcome back we missed all your political commentaries all these years!!

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2008 03:38 PM »

salaam

Totally agree with you all there but the people he is picking doesnt sound encouraging at all. The republicans are happy though Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: