Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

What's in a name? That which we call a zahra. By any other name would smell as shariah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guests and user  (Read 1891 times)
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« on: Nov 17, 2008 03:32 AM »

It is Sunday night- 10:30pm.
I notice there is only me and 25 guests on! wow... who are those lurkers.
Informal survey
What time is it and what is the count?

10:30 1 user & 25 Guests

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2008 03:37 AM »

I was one of the guests and just logged in.
I think many of us look and don't log in till we want to respond. purplehijabisis
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2008 06:30 AM »

I think many of us look and don't log in till we want to respond. purplehijabisis

I also lurk when I am just browsing!  But then, I don't stay for long.  I either just browse quickly or login when I have more time and want to post or respond to a thread.

Curiously, how many of us can lurk at any given time?  Can Admin identfy users as lurkers without the users knowing?  And with the time differences - since were are scattered around the globe - can Admin keep track?

I have noticed that when I browse as a "guest" in a particular thread and then I login, I find that I get directly into that thread even if I had returned to the main login page.

I do think that most of the 'guests' are real guests though.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
timbuktu
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2008 07:01 AM »

peace be upon you

Can Admin identfy users as lurkers without the users knowing?  And with the time differences - since were are scattered around the globe - can Admin keep track?

Admin is not like me. Smiley It is IT savvy, so it can find something about the lurker/s.

For example, Admin can get the IP address of any visitor to the site. If Admin knows your IP address as a registered poster, Admin can then identify you as the lurker. Admin doesn not have to do this manually. Admin can write a computer program to do this automatically, and generate a list of site visitors with IP addresses and match it with pregistered members' IP addresses.

For the non-registered lurker, from the IP address, Admin can find the latitude and longitude of the lurker. From that it can find the name of the town and the country.

Of course, if you are visiting through a proxy server, Admin will be stumped.

It helps Admin's ego to know site visitors come from all over the Globe. Smiley

So, do not lurk through a proxy server.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2008 07:17 AM »

ws,

The question is why would admin care!! I do find it odd that many people who are registered just browse around and never login. Several people have mentioned this to me over the years. Strange?? But there are logs of hundreds of people that visit the madina everyday and thousands that visit the entire website. Unless ur a hacker I shouldn't worry about us trying to track you down Smiley

Guests can be anyone really, but many I think come in through google or somewhere when they find a post as a search result. So for every hour you can see how many clicked on something here to read it, as either guest or user.

Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2008 02:23 AM »

6:25 PST
Users Online       33 Guests, 2 Users
Users active in past 60 minutes:

Let's see who can find a time the most guest are on the board. cuckoo

lurking lurking lurking lurking
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2008 05:01 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I also lurk when I am just browsing!  But then, I don't stay for long.  I either just browse quickly or login when I have more time and want to post or respond to a thread.

See that's interesting because I always tend to log on even if browsing.

What does this say about our Madina personalities I wonder? Wink

But on a serious note, there are many non registered Guest lurkers who have been with us for many years (some are even brave enough to register)  bro

So all to those guys.... hi

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2008 07:05 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

See that's interesting because I always tend to log on even if browsing.

What does this say about our Madina personalities I wonder? Wink

Interesting indeed, BrKhalid!  Can that shed light on our personalities?  Say, what I am when I am a lurker, a guest and a user?

But on a serious note, there are many non registered Guest lurkers who have been with us for many years (some are even brave enough to register)  bro

So all to those guys.... hi

Yeah!  Kudos to the lurkers/guests who become users!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2008 06:03 PM »

salam

So am I the only one who has ticked the permanently logged in option?

This says, I am far too lazy to log in and out of the forum.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2008 10:48 PM »

ws,

yeah i just leave it logged in too...my computers usually just save the login in the cache. makes it much easier if you ask me  oldshaykh
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2008 05:35 AM »

Guess I'm the only one looking to see what's the most guests at a time

56 Guests, 3 Users
Users active in past 60 minutes:
Blessedgrandma, BrKhalid, pearl

Weds Nov 19 9:38 PST Grin
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2008 06:58 PM »

salaam

Its interesting that during Ramadan there are so many more guests.. I think usually about 100 every day right?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: